Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > SOUTH AMERICA
SOUTH AMERICA Topics specific to South America only.
Photo by Igor Djokovic, camping above San Juan river, Arizona USA

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by Igor Djokovic,
camping above San Juan river,
Arizona USA



Like Tree29Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 25 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy View Post
Well - as for now I have been visiting 5 different insurance companies/offices from Concepsion south to Valdivia and none of them could offer me any insurance at all. Not for Chile, not for Argentina and not for several countries in SA. If it continues like this I wount be able to make it even to Argentina...


Have you tried Hdi seguro? Go online and it's fast and easy tu buy soapex, if you can't find a mercosur and want to have one for Chile. At the office you need to know what you want and not give up. I had to show what I wanted on their pc the first time
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25 Nov 2016
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,480
Thanks for all help and suggestions, much appriciated!

Oh brother, seek and thou will find

There is a happy ending to this By the sixth try I found an insurance company in Chile that offered me an insurance that covered 6 countries in SA - Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia and Peru. Unfortunately not Chile but you cant get it all. For a six months insurance for the above mentioned countries I paid 130 000 chilean pesos or 192 USD, just above a dollar a day. Which is in fact a tad cheaper than a similar insurance other travellers putchased in Bolivia.

The company is called Penta Seguros Generales Penta Security phone 600 369 0000 or 22 382 1000.
I found the office in Puerta Varas. They seem to be represented in most major city in Chile.

So now you know that, also you who said such an insurance isnt possible to purchase in Chile....
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Third party insurance that covers several countries in SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy View Post
Thanks for all help and suggestions, much appriciated!



Oh brother, seek and thou will find



There is a happy ending to this By the sixth try I found an insurance company in Chile that offered me an insurance that covered 6 countries in SA - Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia and Peru. Unfortunately not Chile but you cant get it all. For a six months insurance for the above mentioned countries I paid 130 000 chilean pesos or 192 USD, just above a dollar a day. Which is in fact a tad cheaper than a similar insurance other travellers putchased in Bolivia.



The company is called Penta Seguros Generales Penta Security phone 600 369 0000 or 22 382 1000.

I found the office in Puerta Varas. They seem to be represented in most major city in Chile.



So now you know that, also you who said such an insurance isnt possible to purchase in Chile....


Good
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26 Nov 2016
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camomillo View Post
They sell it, now you need a soapex and it's for foreign vehicles. But it's only valid where you drive in Chile.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
To back that up you need to say where, when and what it was bought for.

This is not the experience of my self and many others.
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26 Nov 2016
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy View Post
Thanks for all help and suggestions, much appriciated!

Oh brother, seek and thou will find

There is a happy ending to this By the sixth try I found an insurance company in Chile that offered me an insurance that covered 6 countries in SA - Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia and Peru. Unfortunately not Chile but you cant get it all. For a six months insurance for the above mentioned countries I paid 130 000 chilean pesos or 192 USD, just above a dollar a day. Which is in fact a tad cheaper than a similar insurance other travellers putchased in Bolivia.

The company is called Penta Seguros Generales Penta Security phone 600 369 0000 or 22 382 1000.
I found the office in Puerta Varas. They seem to be represented in most major city in Chile.

So now you know that, also you who said such an insurance isnt possible to purchase in Chile....
It was said all along, that you could get Merco-Sur, but not Chilean insurance in Chile. It was just a case of asking and asking and asking ....... :-)
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 26 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
To back that up you need to say where, when and what it was bought for.

This is not the experience of my self and many others.


It's explained in the previous message, but maybe it's not clear, anyway: in October2016 I checked on the web, forum etc and found out that in Chile (from 2015?I don't remember) any foreign vehicle must have a soapex, an insurance that covers third parts but also the mc driver and passenger. I've tried to buy it online, but website didn't work, so I went the nearest insurance office (hdi) and they told me I could not get a soat for a foreign mc. I showed on the pc that there was a soapex and they sold me it (for 10days as I asked). They told me, and it's also written in the web, that it's valid only in Chile and they didn't have something valid for mercosur for foreign mc. Now we are coming down again, 10days ago I went on their website and just bought it for how many days I wanted, payment by credit card and insurance paper arrives via email.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 27 Nov 2016
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camomillo View Post
It's explained in the previous message, but maybe it's not clear, anyway: in October2016 I checked on the web, forum etc and found out that in Chile (from 2015?I don't remember) any foreign vehicle must have a soapex, an insurance that covers third parts but also the mc driver and passenger. I've tried to buy it online, but website didn't work, so I went the nearest insurance office (hdi) and they told me I could not get a soat for a foreign mc. I showed on the pc that there was a soapex and they sold me it (for 10days as I asked). They told me, and it's also written in the web, that it's valid only in Chile and they didn't have something valid for mercosur for foreign mc. Now we are coming down again, 10days ago I went on their website and just bought it for how many days I wanted, payment by credit card and insurance paper arrives via email.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Ok, I've found it now, https://www.hdi.cl/seguros/seguros-d...njeros-soapex/ , I was suggesting you posted the link to make it easier for others.

It looks like it has been since 2013. But it sounds like the Aduana don't enforce it on the way in (unlike Argentina).

Our approach has always been to attempt to buy insurance, if it is required in a country there will be a booth/shop by the border.

Peru is one where that experience differed. We were allowed in without it, and found it 3 days later (in Piura) after much asking around.
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 28 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Third party insurance that covers several countries in SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Ok, I've found it now, https://www.hdi.cl/seguros/seguros-d...njeros-soapex/ , I was suggesting you posted the link to make it easier for others.

It looks like it has been since 2013. But it sounds like the Aduana don't enforce it on the way in (unlike Argentina).

Our approach has always been to attempt to buy insurance, if it is required in a country there will be a booth/shop by the border.

Peru is one where that experience differed. We were allowed in without it, and found it 3 days later (in Piura) after much asking around.


Sorry, but I didn't remember any link to post (I've been searching for so many things in this period). I had to look for it as any other can do.
Perú? Yes, that was our plan, too , but not so lucky
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 29 Nov 2016
Contributing Vendor
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 946
Insurance in Chile

Snakeboy,

At first blush, it seemed a little strange that an insurance company would sell you an international motorcycle insurance policy yet not sell you a policy for Chile.

Here is the page describing "international insurance" I found on the web site of the insurance company Penta Seguros Generales doing business in Chile. This is the company you claim sold you a policy for several Mercosur countries.

:: Penta Seguros Generales ::

I carefully read the descriptions of policies offered and could not find the policy you describe, but I did discover that Penta Seguros Generales does sell the "SOAP" policy - the third party insurance required to operate a motor vehicle in Chile.

Could you share your policy here and explain why Penta Seguros Generales would not sell you a "SOAP" policy - Moto insurance needed for Chile? Once I see the policy I will translate and let you know what coverage you actually purchased.

The only info I found at the Penta site was a caution that insurance had to be purchased at each border for each Mercosur country. I don't get it? Please see link posted above. This link does not indicate that Penta sells such a policy as you describe.
Perhaps Penta found an underwriter - another company and sold you that policy.

Did you purchase vehicle/moto insurance or personal liability insurance? As stated at the Penta site, every Mercosur country requires vehicle insurance....

I welcome comments from others too.

xfiltrate
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 30 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiltrate View Post
Snakeboy,

At first blush, it seemed a little strange that an insurance company would sell you an international motorcycle insurance policy yet not sell you a policy for Chile.

Here is the page describing "international insurance" I found on the web site of the insurance company Penta Seguros Generales doing business in Chile. This is the company you claim sold you a policy for several Mercosur countries.

:: Penta Seguros Generales ::

I carefully read the descriptions of policies offered and could not find the policy you describe, but I did discover that Penta Seguros Generales does sell the "SOAP" policy - the third party insurance required to operate a motor vehicle in Chile.

Could you share your policy here and explain why Penta Seguros Generales would not sell you a "SOAP" policy - Moto insurance needed for Chile? Once I see the policy I will translate and let you know what coverage you actually purchased.

The only info I found at the Penta site was a caution that insurance had to be purchased at each border for each Mercosur country. I don't get it? Please see link posted above. This link does not indicate that Penta sells such a policy as you describe.
Perhaps Penta found an underwriter - another company and sold you that policy.

Did you purchase vehicle/moto insurance or personal liability insurance? As stated at the Penta site, every Mercosur country requires vehicle insurance....

I welcome comments from others too.

xfiltrate


After reading this thread I went to Pentaseguro in Calama. They told me they didn't have mc products, but, after I showed them this post, they called Puerto Varas and...they have. Good price for a 6 months (the same written by Snakeboy, 150usd x 3 months, 120usd x 2 months and 60usd x one month...crazy I know). You can purchaise only at the office or order by email, but pay in the office. It's an Rci seguro; if you need the one for Chile it's a Soapex.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 30 Nov 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiltrate View Post
Snakeboy,

At first blush, it seemed a little strange that an insurance company would sell you an international motorcycle insurance policy yet not sell you a policy for Chile.

Here is the page describing "international insurance" I found on the web site of the insurance company Penta Seguros Generales doing business in Chile. This is the company you claim sold you a policy for several Mercosur countries.

:: Penta Seguros Generales ::

I carefully read the descriptions of policies offered and could not find the policy you describe, but I did discover that Penta Seguros Generales does sell the "SOAP" policy - the third party insurance required to operate a motor vehicle in Chile.

Could you share your policy here and explain why Penta Seguros Generales would not sell you a "SOAP" policy - Moto insurance needed for Chile? Once I see the policy I will translate and let you know what coverage you actually purchased.

The only info I found at the Penta site was a caution that insurance had to be purchased at each border for each Mercosur country. I don't get it? Please see link posted above. This link does not indicate that Penta sells such a policy as you describe.
Perhaps Penta found an underwriter - another company and sold you that policy.

Did you purchase vehicle/moto insurance or personal liability insurance? As stated at the Penta site, every Mercosur country requires vehicle insurance....

I welcome comments from others too.

xfiltrate


After reading this thread I went to Pentaseguro in Calama. They told me they didn't have mc products, but, after I showed them this post, they called Puerto Varas and...they have. Good price for a 6 months (the same written by Snakeboy, 150usd x 3 months, 120usd x 2 months and 60usd x one month...crazy I know). You can purchaise only at the office or order by email, but pay in the office. It's an Rci seguro; if you need the one for Chile it's a Soapex.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 30 Nov 2016
Contributing Vendor
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 946
Pentasuguros coverage Chile

Camomillo,
Thank you for your excellent research. Yes, the branch offices of many South American insurance offices often do not offer the same policies as the main/major offices. I have found that insurance web sites often do not actually reflect the policies sold or not sold.

So, according to Camomillo snake boy did actually purchase a mc policy - I would very much like to see a copy of the policy. If snake boy reads here could you post the policy?

Now, why is it that Pentaseguros could sell snakeboy a partial Mercosur policy yet could not sell him a SOAPEX policy as required to ride Chile?

I really would like to see and read the policy snakeboy purchased.

Thanks Camomillo Good Work, this is the kind of on the ground research that is needed on the HUBB. xfiltrate
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2 Dec 2016
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sondrio (Italy)
Posts: 30
Third party insurance that covers several countries in SA

After spending some days on web, mail etc I got my insurance for Argentina from Atm seguro.
Some travellers gave me other contacts, but it would take too many time and money.
While I was in Chile I wrote to Atm seguro in Salta, but they didn't succed in selling the policy. They gave me this contact, I had to call and then we did all via mail (payment, sending docs, sending back the signed ones) and I got the basic insurance in half day, so we could go to Jama Pass the same day (30nov2016)! Great job!!!
I also suggested to take away the 'dni' from the chat, otherwise non Argentinian persons can not use it, and maybe organize a selling online.
The insurance is for one year and costs 180ars/month. Once I do not need it anymore I have to write an email and stop it.

atmbasesanmartin@hotmail.com
011 47135226
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 2 Dec 2016
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiltrate View Post
Camomillo,
Thank you for your excellent research. Yes, the branch offices of many South American insurance offices often do not offer the same policies as the main/major offices. I have found that insurance web sites often do not actually reflect the policies sold or not sold.

So, according to Camomillo snake boy did actually purchase a mc policy - I would very much like to see a copy of the policy. If snake boy reads here could you post the policy?

Now, why is it that Pentaseguros could sell snakeboy a partial Mercosur policy yet could not sell him a SOAPEX policy as required to ride Chile?

I really would like to see and read the policy snakeboy purchased.

Thanks Camomillo Good Work, this is the kind of on the ground research that is needed on the HUBB. xfiltrate
To clear out one thing - I didnt ask for any soap or sopaex or Chilean insurance. I had given up a chilean insurance already and just wanted an insurance for Argentina since several persons have mentioned that a mercosur insurance that covers several countries in SA could relatively easy be purchased there and an argentiean insurance so that I could get over the border as several persons lately have mentioned that argentieans do check if you have insurance when you enter Argentina and if not one would not be let in.
Almost accidently I asked in my very bad spanish if they sold insurance that covered several paises in SA and the employee said "si". And so I asked which countries and the price for different time periods and voila - there I had it.
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 6 Dec 2016
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 14
Expire date SOAT

Hi!

We would like to re-check something with insurances as well! We're on two Colombian motorbikes, both with valid insurance(SOAT) on our own name. We'll cross the border to Ecuador in a week. One of the bikes has SOAT till the 28th of december 2016. We don't have to renew this insurance right? Because we're leaving Colombia before the insurance expires and we'll get new insurance at the border of Ecuador?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Balkans Insurance - Here's the story, with details & sample documents PanEuropean Trip Paperwork 30 8 Jul 2023 06:19
Cheap motorcycle insurance for Argentina (and other MercoSur countries) everson65 Trip Paperwork 13 21 May 2023 17:10
Comprehensive Guide To West Africa - Without Carnet Wanted sub-Saharan Africa 48 17 Jan 2020 21:50
Travel Insurance policy includes 3rd party liability baz870 Trip Paperwork 4 9 Sep 2013 20:47
Third party insurance Southern/West Africa Anacondor sub-Saharan Africa 1 16 Nov 2012 10:29

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15.