Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork
Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Photo by Igor Djokovic, camping above San Juan river, Arizona USA

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by Igor Djokovic,
camping above San Juan river,
Arizona USA

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Donmanolo
  • 1 Post By Tim Cullis
  • 1 Post By Grant Johnson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7 Sep 2018
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 77
Help me find 365 day european cover bike insurance for a UK bike

Hi Guys

Help please...
I am a UK citizen with a UK registered bike, I work in France, Germany but mainly Switzerland for 10 months a year and want to bring my bike with me next year.
I used to be insured with ebike who gave 365 days EU (including Switzerland) comprehensive cover. They no longer offer this and I'm struggling to find any UK bike insurers who offer more than the standard 90 days.

Does anyone know of a UK insurance company who still offer 365 days continuous cover for EU and Switzerland?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2018
Donmanolo's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mainly Slovenia
Posts: 371
You have compulsory third party cover in all the EU and probably Switzerland ( you'll have to check for yourself) , for as long as your UK policy is valid or until your country leaves the EU. What will happen after that is anyone's guess.

This means that you can ride abroad for as long as you like ; the extension that your company offers is only intended for people who go abroad on holiday, but as I said, you already have the minimum requirements to ride legally.

Unfortunately you won't have full-comp or theft cover but at least the latter shouldn't be an issue in Switzerland of all places.

You can get breakdown cover cheaply from other European organisations such as ADAC.

Your UK insurer might not be , or might pretend not to be aware of all of this , however there are reciprocal agreements in place. I know that people in your situation have asked and received confirmation of this in the past.

Sent from my BV7000 PRO using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2018
Tim Cullis's Avatar
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London and Granada Altiplano
Posts: 3,079
UK green card cover is limited to trips of 90 days, so that's not a solution. Brexit is a red herring in this, the green card cover is nothing to do with EU, my green card in Spain covers many non-EU countries including Morocco.

There must be many people living near Swiss/German/French borders who need insurance covering all three countries. Why not use a continental insurance company rather than a UK one?

I am insured with Direct Line Spain (Linea Directa) and they insure UK registered vehicles. Of course you will need to have a valid MOT for any insurance to be valid.

So try Direct Line Germany, https://www.verti.de/dl-wird-verti/
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live,"
Irving Mather (1892-1966)
Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2024
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 1
insurance in the eu

You said you are insured with a spanish insurance Direct line do you have a permanent address in eu

We don't have a permanent address
we are over there for around 190 days in Northern Italy
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2024
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,132

There's a bigger issue than insurance that you need to consider, and that is the legality of keeping a UK registered moto on the continent for a long time. It's a customs & importation issue, not an insurance issue.

Presumably you have a visa or work permit that permits you to stay in the Schengen countries for longer than 90 days in any 6 month period (that being the limitation imposed on tourists in the Schengen area). If so, it might be best for you to investigate re-registering your moto in the country you have the visa or work permit and then insuring it there. That would solve both the customs & the insurance problem.

The only other alternative I can think of is to make darn sure you export the moto back to the UK (at least for one night) once every 90 days, and keep some proof on hand that you have done that (ferry tickets, customs papers, whatever).

Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2024
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 7,238
And if you're there 10 months a year, another option is to buy a bike there - makes it all very easy!

Sell or park the UK bike for 10 months.
Grant Johnson
Seek, and ye shall find.

Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2024
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Portugal permanent, Sweden during summer
Posts: 464
Long term in other country

Originally Posted by Grant Johnson View Post
And if you're there 10 months a year, another option is to buy a bike there - makes it all very easy!

Sell or park the UK bike for 10 months.

This way of doing it is common in Portugal.
People buy a Portugal bike and it keep here.
If they spend 8-12 month per year in Portugal.

A stated above, it is not only insurance problem to keep a foreign bike for long time.

Your MOT will expires. => It will actually be illegal to ride it.
The country might have rules. E.g. In Portugal it is required to pay road taxes if you stay more then 6 month. Easy but ...

I do not know now after Brexit. But before it was rather cheap to import a bike. If you love you current bike. As long as it is original bike with COC . You could probably import it rather cheap
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 2 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Used Bike in Santiago Chile lachy SOUTH AMERICA 187 5 Dec 2023 13:53
Riding slow = traveling fast (turtle vs rabbit) Wheelie TRAVEL Hints and Tips 8 28 Jul 2018 02:15
Canada/US insurance for European bike Bossit Trip Paperwork 1 15 Mar 2017 17:16
Insurance for one day for moving a bike in the UK Arch Trip Paperwork 1 29 Nov 2012 05:58
A Gringo in Colombia Ride4Adventure Ride Tales 13 20 Apr 2012 02:15



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.


Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:16.