Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork
Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Photo by Josephine Flohr, Elephant at Camp, Namibia

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by Josephine Flohr,
Elephant at Camp, Namibia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Apr 2017
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the road
Posts: 20
G'day David and Sergio, I would love to hear if you (or know of anyone) had any success registering a bike in your name in Santiago recently since the laws have changed? On a side note, I know that the police in Colombia ride DR650s and hence registration for foreigners in Colombia is something I may try to look into further also.


EDIT re: my Colombia comment... this post covers that topic quite well
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2018
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Viña del Mar CHILE
Posts: 7
Purchasing a bike in Chile.

Originally Posted by zaplaje View Post
Hi, Im Roberto, Im Chilean

1st, you don't need a carnet for Chile or Argentina or any other country in America.

2nd, If you will buy the bike in Iquique, you will have some problems... because Iquique is like a DutyFree port or something like that, the prices are cheapper, but with the vehicles there are special laws. If you buy a vehicle in Iquique, it must stay there, in the region, because they don't let you have a "zona franca" vehicle outside the "zona franca". the only people that can do that are the people who lived in Iquique for at least 5 years. Other people can buy vehicles too but the have to return to Iquique every 3 or 4 month (I don't rember exactly) to check with the autorities that the vehicle is staying in the zone. Not even we who live in Santiago can buy vehicles in Iquique.

the prices of the bikes in Iquique are lower, like a 20% lower, but there not to many bikes to buy. here in Santiago you will find a better "catalog". for example, a DR650 1996 you can find it for like US$3000.

The registration procces is very fast. you need to go to a "registro civil" with the owner and make a "contract". you can do this directly on the registro civil (some minutes slower, but cheaper, and you get the first papers to your name inmediatly) or you can do it on a "Notaria" (more expensive, and you will get your papers later). IF you do this paperwork on a big Registro civil office, some times they give you all the papers done at the same moment, if is a small office, they send it to your place of stay, and takes like 2 weeks.

the final paper, that says that you are the owner is the "padrón"

to do all this paperwork fast and with no problems, the bike must to have some papers on rule:

-obligatory insurance
-permit of circulation
-technic revision

all this has to be on rule, not necesarly on your name, only the "padrón" is in your name

all the process, will cost like 50-100 bucks if the bikes is relatively cheap

just come down here and I can help you, is relativelly easy and fast! I will glad to help you, Im a adventure biker too


pd. sorry for my stinky english!!!

Roberto's information above is quite accurate.

Getting the bike registered is unfortunately a two-step process, which involves: a) The REGISTRO CIVIL, an office run by the central government, where you obtain the necessary paperwork (and the license tag in case of a new bike), which allows you to get the "permiso de circulación" (registration) at the: 2) local Municipality (Municipalidad) or City Hall. The latter will issue your registration, which is the slip of paper that allows you to ride your bike on pubic roads. You can also purchase obligatory (compulsory) insurance at these offices for about US$50/year. Insurance can also be obtained on-line from various companies, but you must have a valid license tag to do so. NOTE: riding without insurance can lead to your bike being impounded on the spot plus a heavy fine.

"Technical revision" (technical inspection) -equivalent of the German TÜV- is a must for every motor vehicle in Chile. This certificate is usually the responsibility of the seller, and you should demand he/she presents you with a valid (current) Revision Técnica when you buy the bike. New vehicles usually come with a Certificado de Homologación, which waives the revision Técnica for usually 3 or more years.

The title transfer paperwork can also be done at a "Notaría" (Notary Public), which is an infuriating remnant of Spanish 16th Century Colonial rule. The process may be slightly quicker but they will shake you down for a few additional thousand pesos plus the meaningless stack of papers you must collect. I personally avoid Notarías whenever possible.

An additional note of caution is to make sure your bike has no pending fines or liens, for which you need a "certificado de anotación vigente" or CAV. You can obtain this online from various government websites for a token fee. Do a search on google.cl on the document name.

The whole process sounds more intimidating than what it actually is, although it can be nightmarish compared to what it takes in the US. The upside is that when you are done you will be fairly certain your vehicle has a clear record and is certified for use on public roads.

Dont hesitate to contact me for further info and hints to navigate the increadibly beutiful Chilean roads and its irritating bureaucracy.


Frank Campbell

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying motorcycle in Chile rbaetens Bike Swap or Rent 34 29 May 2018 07:48
Buying and registering in Germany w/o residency euroexplorer Trip Paperwork 6 31 Aug 2009 20:26
Registering a motorcycle in USA pertnomore Trip Paperwork 8 4 May 2007 15:06
Buying/Registering MC in Germany or Italy Brian_Sandra_Smith Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else 0 8 Oct 2006 00:15
registering a motorcycle in the EU (w/ more information) goulburn Trip Paperwork 1 6 Jun 2003 17:24



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.



  • Queensland is back! Date TBC - May?

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22.