Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Travellers Seeking Travellers
Travellers Seeking Travellers Meet up with other travellers on the road, or find someone to travel with to the ends of the earth!
Photo by Ellen Delis, Lagunas Ojos del Campo, Antofalla, Catamarca

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by Ellen Delis,
Lagunas Ojos del Campo,
Antofalla, Catamarca



Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By petedee

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 9
Thumbs up old silk route / eurasia / middle east 2022

Hello Everyone!

I'm starting my trip the 15th of april from the Netherlands to Siberia or south east Asia, depending on current and future land border (covid / geo political) situations. Not sure about the exact route, but it could look something like this ;

Plan A to Siberia : Netherlands , Germany, Austria , Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia , Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Mongolia, Siberia, South Korea, Japan
Plan B to SE Asia : Netherlands , Germany, Austria , Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia , Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Seria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India , Nepal, Myanmar, Indonesia.

Started dreaming and planning the big trip 7 years ago with 2 good friends. Now they both have kids and i will be doing the trip solo ha ha . But it would be cool to do some riding with other people! Let me know if you are interested in joining forces on some parts!

Also regarding reliable up to date border situations on this route, i will create a thread in the 'route planning' topic.

Greetings and looking forward meeting you on the road!

Pete ( social meda : good_life_pd )
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 489
nice plans, I wanted to do Magadan, Mongolia but as for today boarder with Russia is off limits. I hope that will change. What do you ride?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremens View Post
nice plans, I wanted to do Magadan, Mongolia but as for today boarder with Russia is off limits. I hope that will change. What do you ride?
Hey Tremens,

Hopefully i can give you some good news tomorrow. Going to the russian visa centre to check if my work visa got excepted. Will double check again about border situations. But last time i got some information from boots on the ground (kazach travel agent and russian travel / visa agency) there was nothing about Russian land borders being shut down for a dutchie like me on my route. Where and when did you got your last info about land borders being closed.

I'm driving a Yamaha xt 660 z Tenere. Modified a bit and deffinitly in for some off road adventures ! Magadan you say huh... old summer road : ) ? Road of bones is on my list (as well), only looking for a partner in crime !

Warm greetings from rainy Netherlands, Pieter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5 Apr 2022
GPZ GPZ is online now
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 74
I must say, I am amazed that you are proposing to go to Russia in the next few months unless you are going in some sort of official capacity.
You do know that you kicked out 17 Russian diplomats today and you have given weapons to Ukraine?
It is, of course, only my opinion but things are going to get very, very messy in Russia soon. The crime and wildness of the 90's will look like a child's game compared to what is going to happen. The sanctions will have an effect on Russia's military machine but they will not achieve their other aim which is to turn the population against Putin. Instead, as I feared, a rabid anti Western sentiment is brewing which Putin will use ruthlessly. I have spent a lot of time all over the former CIS and I have updated stickers on my bike with 2022 on them for a trip I've been waiting to do since covid appeared but there is no way I would contemplate it at the moment!
You are a brave man!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
I'm driving a Yamaha xt 660 z Tenere. Modified a bit and deffinitly in for some off road adventures ! Magadan you say huh... old summer road : ) ? Road of bones is on my list (as well), only looking for a partner in crime !
I'm riding the same bike Magadan, Mongolia was my dream trip which unfortunately I was putting away each year until we got what we got now.
I'm currently in Poland and as far as I know there is no entry from here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremens View Post
I'm riding the same bike Magadan, Mongolia was my dream trip which unfortunately I was putting away each year until we got what we got now.
I'm currently in Poland and as far as I know there is no entry from here.
What you mean with no entry from Poland exactly? If you are planning to go in the next couple of weeks, let's stay in touch for sure. If you have social media add me on ; good_life_pd
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 9
@ GPZ ; It is, hopefully, indeed only your opinion ha ha ; ) But thanks for your reply for sure. The world and people on it in itself aint such a bad place, but sometimes you do can get unlucky of course. Hopefully i won't.

And to add something responsable ; ) .... I will check the status of the situation when i will enter mongolia, if i continu my travels to japan true Siberia. With check i mean; speaking with various russian contacts / friends , checking the latest news updates and embassie situation (if it's a red zone marked by the dutch goverment for travelers, insurances dont work, what is a real shit situation of course and probably a no go for me), etc.

UPDATE: Today i went to the russian visa centre in the hague (netherlands) and there the lovelee lady handed me over my passport with a awesoem new stamp, my 12 month multiple entry work visa . Ok, if it will be valid when i arrive at the border is something else, but for now, it's another win i would say ; )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 6 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
Today i went to the russian visa centre in the hague (netherlands) and there the lovelee lady handed me over my passport with a awesoem new stamp, my 12 month multiple entry work visa . Ok, if it will be valid when i arrive at the border is something else, but for now, it's another win i would say ; )
I admire your optimism, if nothing else Good luck and do keep us informed of how you get on
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
UPDATE: Today i went to the russian visa centre in the hague (netherlands) and there the lovelee lady handed me over my passport with a awesoem new stamp, my 12 month multiple entry work visa . Ok, if it will be valid when i arrive at the border is something else, but for now, it's another win i would say ; )
how did you get work visa? do you work there?

I will call my Russian embassy but on official Polish government site it states except for work related cases there is not entry for tourists.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 7 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brunei
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
@ GPZ ; It is, hopefully, indeed only your opinion ha ha ; ) But thanks for your reply for sure. The world and people on it in itself aint such a bad place, but sometimes you do can get unlucky of course. Hopefully i won't.

And to add something responsable ; ) .... I will check the status of the situation when i will enter mongolia, if i continu my travels to japan true Siberia. With check i mean; speaking with various russian contacts / friends , checking the latest news updates and embassie situation (if it's a red zone marked by the dutch goverment for travelers, insurances dont work, what is a real shit situation of course and probably a no go for me), etc.

UPDATE: Today i went to the russian visa centre in the hague (netherlands) and there the lovelee lady handed me over my passport with a awesoem new stamp, my 12 month multiple entry work visa . Ok, if it will be valid when i arrive at the border is something else, but for now, it's another win i would say ; )
Do you really mean a work visa? Surely it's a business visa?
__________________
EurasiaOverland a memoir of one quarter of a million kilometres by road through all of the Former USSR, Western and Southern Asia.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 7 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurasiaoverland View Post
Do you really mean a work visa? Surely it's a business visa?
This always used to be the only way of getting a 90 day double entry visa. RealRussia could get them no trouble, you just had to make up some business reason. Then extended tourist visas became available, then Ukraine happened, god knows where we are now. But it'll be an interesting one to watch if our friend gets over, not to mention gauging the reaction of the Russian people along the way to westerners.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm starting my trip the 15th of april from the Netherlands to Siberia or south east Asia, depending on current and future land border (covid / geo political) situations. Not sure about the exact route, but it could look something like this ;

Plan A to Siberia : Netherlands , Germany, Austria , Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia , Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Mongolia, Siberia, South Korea, Japan
Plan B to SE Asia : Netherlands , Germany, Austria , Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia , Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Seria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India , Nepal, Myanmar, Indonesia.

Started dreaming and planning the big trip 7 years ago with 2 good friends. Now they both have kids and i will be doing the trip solo ha ha . But it would be cool to do some riding with other people! Let me know if you are interested in joining forces on some parts!

Also regarding reliable up to date border situations on this route, i will create a thread in the 'route planning' topic.

Greetings and looking forward meeting you on the road!

Pete ( social meda : good_life_pd )
Nice plan. I advice plan B. How long you planing to travel? Also question are you coming back on bike or your plan is to ship? I just moved to NL and this date is to close to organize
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14 Apr 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 9
@ tremens : sorry, i used the wrong word , excuse e moi. It's a business visa, you are right eurasiaoverland. Valid for 1 year. Multiple entry.

@tomkat : yeah it will be interesting for sure, hope a bit of luck is on my side. And hopefully the siberian people are as nice and non violent as i heard they where ; )

@pa3Q : plan B was not a option anymore because the moment i got my pasport back from russia embassy there was not enough time to get the plan b visa game started before my departure date (15th of april). I will probably ship my bike back from vladivostok or put it on a container in ulan bataar depending on various situations.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18 Apr 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 794
https://www.bikeandphoto.ru/

Absolutely recommended.

Anatoly's travels have left me absolutely wanting to visit Siberia. Not in winter though!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
London to Cape Town, November 2012 Tfoy97603 Travellers Seeking Travellers 56 4 Sep 2012 16:51
London to Cape Town East Route - LC80 chongololo Travellers Seeking Travellers 3 22 Jul 2012 00:27
Using UHF Radios in Europe, The Middle East and Asia bens109 Communications 4 18 Jul 2012 20:12
Middle East biking - help! NewToMotorcycling Route Planning 3 23 Jan 2012 05:21
UK to Magadan via Middle East Birdy Route Planning 9 1 Nov 2011 11:15

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:03.