Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Route Planning
Route Planning Where to go, when, what are the interesting places to see
Photo by Bettina Hoebenreich, At the foot of the Bear Glaciers, eternal ice, British Columbia, Canada

Adventure is what you make it

Photo by Bettina Hoebenreich, at the foot of the Bear Glaciers, British Columbia, Canada.



Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snakeboy
  • 1 Post By Snakeboy

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: australia
Posts: 5
Post Planning a Ride from Australia to India

I have been dreaming to ride from Australia to India. Any information would be helpful.
1) Type of motorbike recommended
2) Shipping info from Darwin (Any thoughts if my idea of shipping the bike to Malaysia instead of Indonesia or Singapore is a good idea?)
3) recommended Contacts along the way
4) recommended places to stay (motels/hotels/boarding)
5) Places where i could get spares, get the bike serviced.
6) what should i consider my travel time (i will be only riding (no holidays))
7) Approximate budget
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_001 View Post
1) Type of motorbike recommended
What bikes have you been riding so far, which one did you enjoy the most?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,466
1. A smallish bike, 250-500 cc. Absolutely no need for a huge behemoth exspensive bike. A Honda Crf250/300 will never be wrong in these countries as its assembled in Thailand.

2. Ship Darwin to Dili (East Timor) If you ship to Malaysia you will have 2-3 days of riding, 1 day to ride through Malaysia and 1-2 days to ride through Thailand. Myanmar is closed for overlanding and will most probably be for a good while ahead. So its not possible to ride through Myanmar. You will have to ship to India. Actually its better to ship from Malaysia to India/Nepal than from Thailand to India/Nepal. So that means that if you send your bike to Malaysia you might as well send it directly to India….
Ship it to East Timor and you will at least have 30 days of riding in Indonesia + 2-3 days in Malaysia and Thailand.

3. Roby @Superbiker in Surakarta City, Java island - Indonesia. Sunny Cycles in Kuala Lumpur, Riders Corner - Chiang Mai northern Thailand (guesthouse, restaurant, rentals and Rideasia forum)

4. Plenty of cheap accomodation all the way through East Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Just be sure it has safe parking for your bike.

5. See point 3. Also if you ride a Honda - get spares at a local Honda dealer, if you ride a Suzuki - the same and so on.

6. If you ship directly to Malaysia it will be approx 3 days of riding, 1 day through Malaysia and 1-2 days through Thailand. If you ship to Dili - then add another 30 days.

7. I dont know your habits but it should be possible to live for approx 50 Aussie dollars a day, shipping and insurances not included.
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: australia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakohan View Post
What bikes have you been riding so far, which one did you enjoy the most?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk
I currently ride Yamaha MT09, but soon planning to get into a Adventure Sports category, but if i have to do this international ride, should i go for Adventure Touring like BMW GS or Triumph Tiger?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: australia
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy View Post
1. A smallish bike, 250-500 cc. Absolutely no need for a huge behemoth exspensive bike. A Honda Crf250/300 will never be wrong in these countries as its assembled in Thailand.

2. Ship Darwin to Dili (East Timor) If you ship to Malaysia you will have 2-3 days of riding, 1 day to ride through Malaysia and 1-2 days to ride through Thailand. Myanmar is closed for overlanding and will most probably be for a good while ahead. So its not possible to ride through Myanmar. You will have to ship to India. Actually its better to ship from Malaysia to India/Nepal than from Thailand to India/Nepal. So that means that if you send your bike to Malaysia you might as well send it directly to India….
Ship it to East Timor and you will at least have 30 days of riding in Indonesia + 2-3 days in Malaysia and Thailand.

3. Roby @Superbiker in Surakarta City, Java island - Indonesia. Sunny Cycles in Kuala Lumpur, Riders Corner - Chiang Mai northern Thailand (guesthouse, restaurant, rentals and Rideasia forum)

4. Plenty of cheap accomodation all the way through East Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Just be sure it has safe parking for your bike.

5. See point 3. Also if you ride a Honda - get spares at a local Honda dealer, if you ride a Suzuki - the same and so on.

6. If you ship directly to Malaysia it will be approx 3 days of riding, 1 day through Malaysia and 1-2 days through Thailand. If you ship to Dili - then add another 30 days.

7. I dont know your habits but it should be possible to live for approx 50 Aussie dollars a day, shipping and insurances not included.
Thank you so much for all the information 'Snakeboy' .
Its a shame that i cannot enter into India by road, that was the whole point of my planning.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: australia
Posts: 5
Found some info with regards to land crossing into India from Myanmar:
VEHICULAR BORDER CROSSINGS (go-myanmar.com can fast track the over land crossing into india with regards to paperwork)
Crossing into Myanmar with your own vehicle (motorhome, car or motorbike) requires special permission and you will have to be accompanied by a guide and sometimes a Ministry of Hotels and Tourism liaison officer. We have extensive experience in route planning, guiding, accommodation and logistics and we would be delighted to work with you on your overland Myanmar trip (permits typically take at least one month to process). Note that cycling groups also need permission for border crossings.

INDIA CROSSINGS
There are two open border crossings connecting Myanmar and India. Both accept e-visas, require no special travel permits and are not in areas of restricted travel.

Moreh/Tamu
In western Sagaing Division is the border crossing between Moreh (India, Manipur state) and Tamu (Myanmar, Sagaing Division). The small town of Tamu serves primarily as a transport and logistics hub for cross border trade between India and Myanmar. There is also an ATM, a variety of restaurants, and several hotels that accept foreginers.

Zokhawtar/Rikhawdar
The Myanmar government opened the Zokhawthar (India, Mizoram state) and Rikhawdar (Myanmar, Chin State) border crossing to increase the trade flow to remote northwestern Chin State. That being said, this mountainous region offers incredible scenery, rugged roads, and a unique cultural experience. Just outside of Rikhawdar village is the heart-shaped Rih Lake.

It is not permitted for foreigners to cross at any other India-Myanmar border points.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_001 View Post
Found some info with regards to land crossing into India from Myanmar:
VEHICULAR BORDER CROSSINGS (go-myanmar.com can fast track the over land crossing into india with regards to paperwork)
Crossing into Myanmar with your own vehicle (motorhome, car or motorbike) requires special permission and you will have to be accompanied by a guide and sometimes a Ministry of Hotels and Tourism liaison officer. We have extensive experience in route planning, guiding, accommodation and logistics and we would be delighted to work with you on your overland Myanmar trip (permits typically take at least one month to process). Note that cycling groups also need permission for border crossings.

INDIA CROSSINGS
There are two open border crossings connecting Myanmar and India. Both accept e-visas, require no special travel permits and are not in areas of restricted travel.

Moreh/Tamu
In western Sagaing Division is the border crossing between Moreh (India, Manipur state) and Tamu (Myanmar, Sagaing Division). The small town of Tamu serves primarily as a transport and logistics hub for cross border trade between India and Myanmar. There is also an ATM, a variety of restaurants, and several hotels that accept foreginers.

Zokhawtar/Rikhawdar
The Myanmar government opened the Zokhawthar (India, Mizoram state) and Rikhawdar (Myanmar, Chin State) border crossing to increase the trade flow to remote northwestern Chin State. That being said, this mountainous region offers incredible scenery, rugged roads, and a unique cultural experience. Just outside of Rikhawdar village is the heart-shaped Rih Lake.

It is not permitted for foreigners to cross at any other India-Myanmar border points.
A guide and a person from the authorities are definetively needed when crossing Myanmar. But Myanmar is closed for overland travel (and has been for more than 4 years already) for the moment - and will most probably be for a long time ahead due to internal unrest.
Have a look in the Facebook group Myanmar Overland: https://www.facebook.com/share/R652g...ibextid=K35XfP
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy View Post
A guide and a person from the authorities are definetively needed when crossing Myanmar. But Myanmar is closed for overland travel (and has been for more than 4 years already) for the moment - and will most probably be for a long time ahead due to internal unrest.
Have a look in the Facebook group Myanmar Overland: https://www.facebook.com/share/R652g...ibextid=K35XfP
I would love to see a post from somebody who actually used this Burmese agent and successfully crossed him/herself from Burma into India via the advertised route and service.

I had to use an agent to get into Thailand (long story resulting from my stupidity). He cost $800 but it was 100 % gaurantred with no money paid until me and bike legally in Thailand.


If there’s a Burmese agent offering a guaranteed crossing from Thailand into India i,ll happily be the Guinea pig sometime on the next 3-4 months to test his bona fides.

Same goes for China.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniGreg View Post
I would love to see a post from somebody who actually used this Burmese agent and successfully crossed him/herself from Burma into India via the advertised route and service.

I had to use an agent to get into Thailand (long story resulting from my stupidity). He cost $800 but it was 100 % gaurantred with no money paid until me and bike legally in Thailand.


If there’s a Burmese agent offering a guaranteed crossing from Thailand into India i,ll happily be the Guinea pig sometime on the next 3-4 months to test his bona fides.

Same goes for China.
If you scroll back 4 years +++ in the facebookgroup I mentioned you will find several reviews on different Myanmar travel agencies.

But for now Myanmar is CLOSED for overlanding…
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From India to Europe overland on a Royal Enfield - The 101 introduction leooo TRAVEL Hints and Tips 2 8 Mar 2020 10:05
Belgium to Australia - route planning doable? moondusted Route Planning 22 30 Jan 2019 14:28
motorbike ride from india to Vietnam sampath Trip Paperwork 1 11 Jul 2018 03:15
Great ride from Austria to Australia jojo1987 Travellers Seeking Travellers 10 31 Mar 2016 09:13
Myanmar – Ride organised across Burma from Thailand to India – 11 Feb 14 Up The Junction Travellers Seeking Travellers 5 8 Apr 2014 06:35

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:59.