Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Technical, Bike forums > Yamaha Tech
Yamaha Tech Originally the Yamaha XT600 Tech Forum, due to demand it now includes all Yamaha's technical / mechanical / repair / preparation questions.
Photo by James Duncan, Universe Camp, Uyuni Salt Flats

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by James Duncan,
"Universe Camp"
Uyuni Salt Flats



Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grant Johnson
  • 1 Post By mark manley
  • 1 Post By Baloffski
  • 2 Post By *Touring Ted*

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25 Jul 2022
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
XT600R 4PT - Carb spares. Where ??

I've picked up a 2003 XT600E. Pure nostalgia won me over as it the bike I did one of my first big trips on.

I bought it as a runner with a leak from the carb link pipe. No big deal. He said it ran perfectly before that pipe started leaking.

The seller was lying.

I fixed the leak and the problem persists.

It won't idle. Popping and cutting out on idle. It revs up nicely though.

I've pulled the carb. Checked all jets were clean, float height, float valve etc.

HOWEVER !! The carb has just been rebuilt. With a £15 ebay Chinese kit. All the valves, jets, guides, needles etc.

So he's tried to fix it. Unsuccessfully.. And probably made it worse with these Chinese crap parts.

What a disaster. Now I need to try and undo his mad work. None of the jets have sizes and in my experience they make everything worse.

Yamaha genuine parts to replace all these items are insane prices. It will costs hundreds of pounds.

Where can I get a quality rebuild kit from ?? All searches just show Chinese rubbish.

Also, does anyone know if the carb off the earlier XT600E is compatible ??
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.

Last edited by *Touring Ted*; 26 Jul 2022 at 06:39.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25 Jul 2022
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 7,241
sigh... good luck!

I have had search results for Japanese parts houses for my Suzuki DRZ, prices seem reasonable, I assume same availability for Yamaha bits. I started with "parts fiche..."
__________________
Grant Johnson
Seek, and ye shall find.

------------------------
Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
www.HorizonsUnlimited.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25 Jul 2022
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Johnson View Post
sigh... good luck!

I have have had search results for Japanese parts houses for my Suzuki DRZ, prices seem reasonable, I assume same availability for Yamaha bits. I started with "parts fiche..."
I've got all the part numbers. It's just the prices are crazy from Yamaha

£45 for a fuel screw
£15 per jet
£40 for float valve

etc etc

You can't even get the emulsion tubes and needles. All discontinued.

So it looks like I'll be making a franken-carb.

Why people think that a dirt cheap Chinese copies of £100's worth of precision carb parts would fix anything is insanity.

So much for a cheap nostalgia ride.......
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25 Jul 2022
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wessex, UK
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
Why people think that a dirt cheap Chinese copies of £100's worth of precision carb parts would fix anything is insanity.

So much for a cheap nostalgia ride.......
If it makes you feel any better I have just sold a Honda 250 at something of a loss after failing to notice the crappy Chinese carb it was fitted with when I bought it and had to spend too much on a second hand genuine replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25 Jul 2022
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
I've picked up a 2003 XT600E. Pure nostalgia won me over as it the bike I did one of my first big trips on.

I bought it as a runner with a leak from the carb link pipe. No big deal. He said it ran perfectly before that pipe started leaking.

The seller was lying.

I fixed the leak and the problem persists.

It won't idle. Popping and cutting out on idle. It revs up nicely though.

I've pulled the carb. Checked all jets were clean, float height, float valve etc.

HOWEVER !! The carb has just been rebuilt. With a £15 ebay Chinese kit. All the valves, jets, guides, needles etc.

So he's tried to fix it. Unsuccessfully.. And probably made it worse with these Chinese crap parts.

What a disaster. Now I need to try and undo his mad work. None of the jets have sizes and my my experience they make everything worse.

Yamaha genuine parts to replace all these items are insane prices. It will costs hundreds of pounds.

Where can I get a quality rebuild kit from ?? All searches just show Chinese rubbish.

Also, does anyone know if the carb off the earlier XT600E is compatible ??
Buy this https://www.ebay.com/itm/29510112166...wAAOSwsJpiv4l6

jet kit https://www.ebay.de/itm/253970044169...YAAOSwQ~ha6him
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25 Jul 2022
Bobmech's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BOP , New Zealand
Posts: 184
I've found Impex-Japan to have better prices for genuine parts compared to most other suppliers.
https://en.impex-jp.com/catalogs/mot...or-367137.html

Bob
__________________
Remember that Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26 Jul 2022
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmech View Post
I've found Impex-Japan to have better prices for genuine parts compared to most other suppliers.
https://en.impex-jp.com/catalogs/mot...or-367137.html

Bob
Even though everything is in Japan, that seems cheap.

I can get a complete Carb for £650.

In the UK, that's £1200....

Although I'm still not buying a complete carb. Thanks for the link. I'll work out an order.
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11 Dec 2022
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Geelong
Posts: 4
I went with the sigma and is reasonably priced but yet to finalize the testing.Was thinking dump original but may be more of a problem than one can comprehend....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13 Dec 2022
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
If anyones interested, I ended up buying a second hand carb off Ebay for £100.

I thought it would be a straight swap.

However, I was horrified to find out the seller sand blasted it .

The carb was full of sand and grit. Scratched and scored. IDIOTS.

But all the jets and screws were fine so I just used those to rebuild the original carb.

It now runs like a dream and pulls like a train.
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 9 Feb 2023
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
If anyones interested, I ended up buying a second hand carb off Ebay for £100.

I thought it would be a straight swap.

However, I was horrified to find out the seller sand blasted it .

The carb was full of sand and grit. Scratched and scored. IDIOTS.

But all the jets and screws were fine so I just used those to rebuild the original carb.

It now runs like a dream and pulls like a train.
How is the gearbox on yours, i changed to a 4pt engine and its not gearing down if i pull clutch in high gear. This was no problem on the 3tb, almost like its in a neutral place. No problem gearing down gear by gear when driving. Anyone have experince like this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10 Feb 2023
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
How is the gearbox on yours, i changed to a 4pt engine and its not gearing down if i pull clutch in high gear. This was no problem on the 3tb, almost like its in a neutral place. No problem gearing down gear by gear when driving. Anyone have experince like this?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

You can change gear by gear when moving. Which is normal obviously.

Or are you trying to downshift multiple gears at once without re-engaging the clutch between ?
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10 Feb 2023
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

You can change gear by gear when moving. Which is normal obviously.

Or are you trying to downshift multiple gears at once without re-engaging the clutch between ?
If you have to do a fast stop in 3gear and need to start again fast in traffic clutch is pulled and nothing happens when gear lever is pressed down. Needto drop clutch lever a little to get the gear working, never experinced this on other bikes but read online that other bikes have this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10 Feb 2023
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
If you have to do a fast stop in 3gear and need to start again fast in traffic clutch is pulled and nothing happens when gear lever is pressed down. Needto drop clutch lever a little to get the gear working, never experinced this on other bikes but read online that other bikes have this issue.

I wouldn't say it's a problem. Very normal on some bikes. I dab the clutch with every gear change anyway, just as you say. So I wouldn't notice the difference. It could be that your dogs are a touch worn or round on the edges so they're not catching as well as they were when new. So they need the shafts to spin a little to engage. The shafts have to be moving to engage properly anyway. So I wouldn't worry as long as you can always get through the gears. Try fiddling with your clutch adjustment too so theirs a bit more drag on the plates when the lever is pulled in. It will keep the shafts turning.
__________________
Did some trips.
Rode some bikes.
Fix them for a living.
Can't say anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10 Feb 2023
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
I wouldn't say it's a problem. Very normal on some bikes. I dab the clutch with every gear change anyway, just as you say. So I wouldn't notice the difference. It could be that your dogs are a touch worn or round on the edges so they're not catching as well as they were when new. So they need the shafts to spin a little to engage. The shafts have to be moving to engage properly anyway. So I wouldn't worry as long as you can always get through the gears. Try fiddling with your clutch adjustment too so theirs a bit more drag on the plates when the lever is pulled in. It will keep the shafts turning.
Sudden stop in traffic i think its not good it takes time to get in first again, normal riding its no problem. But it should be same gear parts on both engines and set up so i guess its something a little bit off, i will open and check clutch worn next oilshift, adjusting didnt make difference but it seems little to adjust so maybe on last days clutch plates. Is it possible to grap clutch on yours in 3-4 gear and shift down to 1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single carb xt600 2003 nickargas Yamaha Tech 2 3 Jan 2018 10:03
What carb kit? connal Yamaha Tech 4 19 Aug 2016 11:31
Carb adjustment lost frozenbiker Yamaha Tech 3 12 May 2016 13:43
Xt550 carb issues / carb swap vm28's wetcoastrider Yamaha Tech 0 21 Feb 2014 14:10
Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - carb problems - can you help an overlander make it home? o_0oo Suzuki Tech 15 11 Jun 2013 17:23

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:05.