Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork
Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Photo by James Duncan, Universe Camp, Uyuni Salt Flats

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by James Duncan,
"Universe Camp"
Uyuni Salt Flats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2019
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bethnal Green, London
Posts: 122
Question Insurance - no address!

In July, I'm off on a long one (BigTrip19).

Thing is, we're abandoning our rented property and, in reality, will have no 'home' address while we're travelling. We'll deal with that when we get back.

What's the situation with insurers in a situation like this? I'm guessing they're not going to like it. Has anyone any ideas?

We do own a property, but we're letting it. I guess I could use that as the 'home' address - but it wouldn't actually be.

(Will be in Europe for first three or so months, then Africa for 10.)

Any ideas?


Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Portugal
Posts: 16
It's only put the address of another house, like friends or family for them receive your letters, documents, etc...
Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2019
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 805
If you own the property there's no reason why you shouldn't put that as your address for insurance purposes. Just be honest and don't claim that the bike is garaged there every night

Or as Andre says use the address of family where you have your post forwarded to while you're away.
Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: May 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 10
Does a 'care of' address work for the basis of insurance? Assuming you let them know the vehicle won't be there during the night.
Also what about your passport and all other paperwork/correspondence?

I will eventually be in a similar position where I will effectively be 'homeless' when I start my trip as when I leave there will be little point maintaining housing costs if I'm aiming to be away for a year or more. This question has been on my mind for a while since my driving licence, passport, insurance, visas etc will all be set for my current home.
Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2019
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 3,919
I wouldn't draw attention by giving anyone a "care of" address; just your name and the address. Either whoever lives there is dealing with your mail, or they're not; "care of" has no legal standing or obligation.

I've always left someone in charge of my affairs when away for more than a few months--parent, friend, neighbor.... If none of these seemed suitable, I'd hire a lawyer to do it. I've often left signed checks behind if I thought I'd have bills to be paid; I'm not a worrier.

I don't pay for vehicle insurance once I'm out of the coverage area. I'm not clear whether that's what you're asking about--for example, there's also health insurance, travel insurance, life insurance, etc. And there are localities where vehicles must remain insured in order for registrations to remain valid, unlike where I live.

Regardless, there's no reason you'll need to renew a passport or drivers license, right? Most regular bills (insurance, property taxes, credit cards, etc.) can be put on autopay, right? Visas will be purchased enroute (or, on rare occasions, using courier services), right? What specific problems do you anticipate?

Hope that's helpful.

Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: May 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 10
I have already spoken to my brother about looking after my stuff while I'm away, thankfully I have a simple life so not much work for him.
So I'd be best arrange to leave just after renewing my motor insurance so I can get as far away as possible before it runs out, which localities require an active insurance for the registration to be valid? If I leave as I renew by the year out I should be Australia, NZ or into the Americas travelling north.
I'm from UK so I'd assume it will be a real issue if I attempt to ride in Europe after it expires.

I don't really anticipate problems but I'm just trying to ensure I don't miss something important in my planning.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Balkans Insurance - Here's the story, with details & sample documents PanEuropean Trip Paperwork 30 8 Jul 2023 06:19
Cheap motorcycle insurance for Argentina (and other MercoSur countries) everson65 Trip Paperwork 13 21 May 2023 17:10
Complete Central America/Mexico/Colombia Border Crossing Information sellheim Central America and Mexico 30 6 Mar 2023 23:33
Border crossings and bribes West Africa Oneroadoneworld.com Trip Paperwork 0 17 Nov 2017 18:08
Travel insurance without longterm address Arow Staying Healthy on the Road 1 7 Dec 2011 00:19



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.



  • Queensland is back! Date TBC - May?

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:02.