Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork
Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Photo by Josephine Flohr, Elephant at Camp, Namibia

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by Josephine Flohr,
Elephant at Camp, Namibia

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Donmanolo
  • 1 Post By waz_777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 Mar 2013
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Help needed finding European Insurance

Hi all,

Sorry if the answer is already out there - I've searched through plenty of old threads but I'm still struggling to find the information I need.

I have my UK registered bike with me here in Romania and I need to try and find some insurance for it.
I had a UK policy which gave me 90 days of european cover but this has now expired and my insurer won't provide me with an extension.
I'm living nomadically but still technically a UK resident (for insurance purposes at least! ).
I've tried several UK insurers but they're saying they cant help me as the bike is not in the UK. I've called several Romanian insurers but none seem to be able to help me either as it's a UK bike.
I'm not sure how long I'll be here so I dont wish to re-register the bike onto romanian plates just in case someone wishes to suggest that (thanks anyway!)
All I need is the very minimum level of cover so that I dont get fined by the police out here or locked up if I'm in an accident. After Romania I'll be heading to Bulgaria, possibly to Greece, then east into Turkey and all the way to India and beyond. I know insurance can be bought on the border once I get out of Europe so I'm not worried about that right now.

The ideal for me is an insurance company who can provide me with European cover in periods of 30 days or more which can then be renewed/extended for as long as I end up being here.

I spoke to Carole Nash who weren't too helpful. The guy asked if I had a return date and I said no, so he said he cant help. I said if he needs one I can give one. Then he said I'm not in the UK right now so he cant help but I said I can fly to the UK to sort it if needed. He then cut me off.

Any help will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2013
Mehmet Zeki Avar's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: istanbul
Posts: 755
If that will help, our SOS friends Doug and Poly are in Bulgaria now at the motocamp in Idilevo, very close to a south Romania bordergate..Several friends bought green insurance there before.

You didnt hear this from me; There is a nice trip and meeting programme for the first week of June.

Here is his link.
Riding, Fun, Adventures! | MotoSapiense

Wish you all the best.
Mehmet Zeki Avar
''Borderlines divide countries,HU friendship finds a way to reunited"
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2013
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoOrange NJ USA
Posts: 296
and if Doug can't help you, try
Green Card
How does the European Green Card Insurance work?
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2013
HUBB Advertiser
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork Ireland
Posts: 181
Get a friend to call your insurer on your behalf and get coverage, not telling the bike is out of the country
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Excellent, thanks for your help guys. I've messaged Doug and Poly for costs and will see what comes back.

@CourtFisher - KNOPF seems to be able to provide cover but Mototouring is for non European vehicles only.

@Wheatwacker - If I was to arrange through a British insurer it would mean a 1 year policy wih just 90 days european cover so I would need to keep cancelling and repurchasing through different companies if I stay for a while in this part of the world. It is an option but a bit of a last resort. Plus my last insurer didnt provide any form of a refund despite there being 6 months left on the policy when I cancelled it and no claim had been made.

Thanks again for all your help - I'll update once I've managed to arrange something.
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013
Donmanolo's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mainly Slovenia
Posts: 371
Sorry to post as an armchair Italian with absolutely no knowledge of your obscure insurance policies up in the UK, however I was sure that having your vehicle insured in your home country entitles you to minimum third party liability throughout the EU, the 90 days stuff is supposed to be just for break down cover and other niceties...

Of course I'm probably wrong, however that is what applies to us italians, and I believe there are EU directives on the matter.

Again, sorry if I'm just being confusing.
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Giacomo you are correct!

I looked into this a little more and then spoke to my insurers. The guy there had to phone the underwriters to confirm, and the underwriters had to phone somebody else but it turns out I am covered with the minimum third party liability insurance of whichever country I'm in for the duration of my policy.
The problem I had is that the original person I spoke to several months ago at my insurance company told me once the 90 days european cover they provide has expired I wont be insured anymore. This is only the fully comprehensive cover and any other add ons which were with the policy.

On closer inspection of my insurance documents I found this statement on a seperate document to my certificate:

"This certificate of motor insurance takes the place of am International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) and is evidence that the insurance extends to include the compulsory motor insurance requirements of:
- any member if the European Union
- Iceland, Norway, Croatia, Switzerland & Liechtenstein"

And as the certificate states the 12 months coverage in the UK, it also has the 12 months in the EU.

I learnt something new today... as did the guy at my insurance company!

Thanks again everyone - spring riding here I come
Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 4,343
Originally Posted by waz_777 View Post
... as did the guy at my insurance company!
You have to wonder just who it is who trains and employs these people!!

Carole Nash went downhill, rapidly, when they sold out the original business as a specialist motorcycle insurance broker and switched into general brokering of motor (and other types of) insurance -now the people at the end of the phone are only interested in the targets that are set for them to meet; anything out of the routine is all too much for them.
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2013
Crusty's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 215
Ok, here's my experience.

I renewed my policy with Carole Nash last month. I told the agent I intended to travel in Europe for 6 months and would that be covered. He told me the standard cover was for 90 days but it wouldn't be a problem to extend it.

I didn't do it then as I still hadn't decided where exactly we would be going and he said he needed to know which countries we intended to visit.

Fast forward to today. I phone Carole Nash, ask about extending my policy and...nope, no can do, 90 days max. I referred to my conversation with the agent at renewal time and she says he should have checked more thoroughly before telling me I could extend as the underwriters just won't do it. Hmmm..!

I then quoted the Green card statement on the back of the certificate, same as waz_777:

"This certificate of motor insurance takes the place of am International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) and is evidence that the insurance extends to include the compulsory motor insurance requirements of:
- any member if the European Union
- Iceland, Norway, Croatia, Switzerland & Liechtenstein"

And as the certificate states the 12 months coverage in the UK, it also has the 12 months in the EU.

This caused a bit of stir and ended up with her having to call her manager who had to call me back. And sure enough I'm covered, third party only, for the duration of the policy..! As stated previously, it's only the extras that expire after 90 days, the minimum legal cover is there for the length of the policy.

What a brilliant thread, thanks to all contributors.
Beware the dark, mechanical bird.

Last edited by Crusty; 28 May 2013 at 19:50.
Reply With Quote

europe, green card, insurance

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed in getting UK insurance for tourist. Biker_CC Europe 2 9 Sep 2012 21:57
Health insurance for a UAE to UK trip needed. Jonnyoneye Staying Healthy on the Road 1 17 Aug 2012 11:50
European Insurance IronArse Trip Paperwork 3 2 Jun 2012 13:20
Insurance needed -Irish bike owned by US citizen MM17 Trip Paperwork 2 30 Apr 2012 03:18
Insurance; 12 month European cover mmmartin Trip Paperwork 4 18 Apr 2012 22:19



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.



  • Queensland is back! Date TBC - May?

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:58.