Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork
Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Photo by Michael Jordan, enjoying a meal at sunset, Zangskar Valley, India

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by Michael Jordan
enjoying a meal at sunset,
Zangskar Valley, India

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Carnet - importing at the end of the trip and other complications


This is my first post here and I did try to search and read up as much as possible but it either hasn't been discussed before (I doubt) or I couldn't narrow it down enough.

Current situation: I'm a Hungarian citizen living in Australia at the moment temporarily (last 2 years and another year to go). I own an Australian registered motorcycle here and I hold a UK license (but I'm neither citizen of the UK or Australia and I haven't been living in Hungary last 6 years).

I decided to do the usual OZ->Europe thing, but I have couple of questions with the Carnet:

1, Which organisation should I apply at? RAC in the UK, AAA in OZ or the one relevant to Hungary?

2, Would having an Australian license make things easier from general paperwork point of view?

3, Most importantly: I understand the Carnet process and the requirement of returning the vehicle to the country of origin. The problem is that I'm not planning on coming back to Australia after the trip is finished and would like to keep the bike in Hungary. The route obviously involves countries with 400%+ duties so paying that is not a solution. So the question: if I officially import the bike to Hungary, is that a solution for ending and returning the carnet?

I should probably just phone AAA, but if someone was through this and is willing to share, that would be most welcome.

Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2010
Pumbaa's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On our bicycles, probably pushing up a hill!
Posts: 435
We travelled in an Oz registered landcruiser from Oz to Europe to South Africa.

1. Our landcruiser was/is registered in NSW. We contacted the NRMA in NSW who in turns deals with the AAA, who issues the Australian carnet.
2. We are South African/British, and travelled on our Australian licence with Australian international licence. latrer on in the trip we used our GB licence, because our Oz international licence expred and we obtained a GB international licence.
3. Importing vehicle. You need to establish what the duties will be in Hungary. Every country is different. We've managed (almost, just finalising a few things) to import our landcruiser into South Africa as a returning resident, therefore not having to pay any import duties. Hungary may or may not have a similar program - check with Hungarian customs and tax authorities. One of the requirements to import into South Africa is to obtain a 'Letter of Compliance' from the manufacturer in the country of origin, for eg, if its a Honda, you need to contact Honda Australia to get this letter from them. Not sure if this would apply to Hungary too, you'll have to check. Best to get it from the manufacturer before you leave, one less thing to worry about later on then.

Hope this helps

Check out the links page on our website for contact details for AAA and for other info
pumbaa's home
Jacques & Mandy with Pumbaa II
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Thank you, that clarified quite a bit of the situation.

Question 3, was mostly from the Carnet point of view (if importing at the end of the trip satisfies the Carnet people). So I guess the answer is Yes.

The actual import process might be a bit of a nightmare as I don't even think the motorcycle will be road legal in Hungary (pretty much nothing is nowadays that was modified the slightest way) and perfectly fine in Australia. Gonna start looking at that as well just to make sure there is a secure ending to the trip.
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2010
farqhuar's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oztralia
Posts: 646
Andras, getting your deposit back on your carnet does NOT require you to return the vehicle to the country of origin.

In my experience, I took out a carnet for my bike in Melbourne Australia through the RACV, rode it to Europe and then 11 months later I posted the carnet back to Melbourne and had the deposit refunded. Simultaneous with this I obtained a new carnet from the AA in the UK and used that to ride down to Africa.

Once you arrive in Hungary (where a carnet is NOT required) you should be able to send your carnet back to Australia for the deposit refund.
Garry from Oz - powered by Burgman
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Thanks Garry, that's really helpful!
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2010
beddhist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Whangarei, NZ
Posts: 2,214
Make sure you get the 'certificate of presence' on the last page filled in as per instructions on the carnet.

Some clubs (ADAC, ...) require proof of permanent import somewhere, but the club in question will tell you when you obtain the carnet.

General requirement is that the carnet is issued by a club in the country where it is registered.

Europe to NZ 2006-10
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Thanks Peter!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eye surgery complications TintinStrom Staying Healthy on the Road 16 24 Jan 2020 06:25
Carnet complications Bikerboy Trip Paperwork 6 14 Aug 2008 03:34
Carnet for one-way trip? GeoffL Trip Paperwork 10 18 Feb 2008 19:21
Trip finished, can I get carnet refund if .... colesyboy Trip Paperwork 1 21 Mar 2007 19:20
Carnet and broken trip geoff.walton Trip Paperwork 2 9 Mar 2001 03:41



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.



  • Queensland is back! May 2-4 2025!

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:16.