Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Chat Forum > The HUBB PUB
The HUBB PUB Chat forum - no useful content required!

BUT the basic rules of polite and civil conduct which everyone agreed to when signing up for the HUBB, will still apply, though moderation will be a LITTLE looser than elsewhere on the HUBB.
Photo by Igor Djokovic, camping above San Juan river, Arizona USA

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by Igor Djokovic,
camping above San Juan river,
Arizona USA



Like Tree177Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10 Aug 2023
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post

One thing that annoys me about Itchy Boots videos is she claims to be "alone" the whole time. I am pretty confident that this is not always the case, but I think she pretends it is that way to get more views and support.
Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just hating on her?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10 Aug 2023
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 1,785
I think that would be hard to do.

You must make sure everything you use is always on the bike, nothing popping into shot that's been in the support van for days. No sudden use of a massive tripod or reflector for better shots. No extra glass on the hotel table.

Anyone you meet on the road must be somehow stopped from posting on social media with the same producer in the back ground.

You must be careful to edit out any refference to the support. No one passing you stuff from off screen.

A drug mule and their minder might do it, but they are staying off social media.
A production like Long Way Whatever can do it by editing with the continuity supervisor taking notes.
A pod cast of this type though? Managing it when studio based TV gets a runner or assistant in shot often enough?

Still, let's see if there is anything by way of additional information. It's certainly a bit of a wild claim to make without anything extra.

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10 Aug 2023
Tim Cullis's Avatar
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London and Granada Altiplano
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
One thing that annoys me about Itchy Boots videos is she claims to be "alone" the whole time. I am pretty confident that this is not always the case, but I think she pretends it is that way to get more views and support.
That's awfully strong, effectively calling her a serial liar.

Some of her quotes: I'm a Dutch woman traveling alone...
Riding a motorbike on your own in Ladakh as a female solo traveler...
I've ridden 150.000 kilometers solo around the world and still counting!...
I've lived, worked and traveled solo in more than 80 countries by now...
A solo traveler on a mission to travel the world by motorcycle...
traveling alone also pushes you to face every struggle by yourself...



She consistently describes herself as a solo traveller, so why should you be so confident she is lying?
__________________
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live,"
Irving Mather (1892-1966)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 17 Aug 2023
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by frameworkSpecialist View Post
Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just hating on her?
Evidence she was not traveling alone?

No hard evidence, and again, I really do not care either way.

I became skeptical when I saw her Darien Gap episode where she was in Turbo, and the boat part where she was going to Panama.

I made that trip myself. Turbo is not a city where you can leave your bike unguarded for any period of time. Someone was there watching her bike, making sure nothing was stolen.

I could be wrong, but I don't think she covered the boat part to Panama very much, because she didn't want to show the other bikes and travelers on the boat.
__________________
http://www.journeyrider.net Latin America blog (07-8)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 17 Aug 2023
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Evidence she was not traveling alone?

No hard evidence, and again, I really do not care either way.

I became skeptical when I saw her Darien Gap episode where she was in Turbo, and the boat part where she was going to Panama.

I made that trip myself. Turbo is not a city where you can leave your bike unguarded for any period of time. Someone was there watching her bike, making sure nothing was stolen.

I could be wrong, but I don't think she covered the boat part to Panama very much, because she didn't want to show the other bikes and travelers on the boat.

Bah humbug!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Where Next Barney? Buenos Aires to Lima 2015 | London to Sydney 2015/6 | Armenia, Georgia & the FYR 2022 | Algerian Sahara 2023.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 18 Aug 2023
Turbofurball's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Catalunya
Posts: 278
I don't care, therefore I'm going to write a complete explanation?
__________________
FreeBSD fan since before it was cool ...
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 18 Aug 2023
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Belper, uk, EUROPE
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
I became skeptical when I saw her Darien Gap episode where she was in Turbo, and the boat part where she was going to Panama.

I made that trip myself. Turbo is not a city where you can leave your bike unguarded for any period of time. Someone was there watching her bike, making sure nothing was stolen.

I could be wrong, but I don't think she covered the boat part to Panama very much, because she didn't want to show the other bikes and travelers on the boat.
She left her bike at that underground car park so it was safe whilst making arrangements. Also she met up with someone (Juan) in Turbo who did the actual arranging - so whilst she was not alone as a traveller she was - unless you include the people that pump her gas, lift her bike on and off boats etc in which she had a load of people with her, personally I don't include them.

She has not been alone the whole way - she met up with Charly Sinewan for a bit and then whilst she was mending after a crash she was with Ed March. If she was with someone, then she wouldn't have needed their help.

This is all people looking down their noses at someone that is out there, doing it. For me, I find it interesting, I am not an avid watcher but it is interesting - and seeing how she copes with the events that life throws at her is reassuring (particularly border crossings).
__________________
You will have to do without pocket handkerchiefs, and a great many other things, before we reach our journey's end, Bilbo Baggins. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you. The world is ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 25 Aug 2023
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 7,238
Sigh... many posts are now unapproved. "The thread has been nothing but chauvinism, sour grapes, envy and arguments. Not HUBB's finest hour."


Also discussions of k'nap potential aren't a great idea for obvious reasons. It may be a low risk discussion here on the HUBB, but a google search will find all sorts of things here.


Let it be folks.
__________________
Grant Johnson
Seek, and ye shall find.

------------------------
Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
www.HorizonsUnlimited.com
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12 Jan 2024
Snakeboy's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Back into the hamster wheel again, in Oslo - Norway. Did a 5 year RTW trip/250 k kms, 2014-2019
Posts: 1,480
Noraly filmed and posted on YT a couple of nigerian cops who asked her for money, although in a relatively non demanding way (my personal view) But absolutely not what a copper should do towards a foreign traveller anywhere who had done nothing wrong or against the law.

Luckily the nigerian court system got an interest of this and didnt let those dishonest cops getaway with it. They are not cops anymore and probably never will be again and its seems they got to spend some time behind bars too….

https://youtu.be/ASrCKnoViMI?si=faWVWSj77Yndd_0U
__________________
In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end....
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 14 Jan 2024
Scrabblebiker's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 343
I'm happy they got caught but the cynical me thinks that the only reason this was dealt with and televised is because they were caught on camera. When someone blatantly demands money and not even during an actual infraction, then it's deeply systemic.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 15 Jan 2024
Turbofurball's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Catalunya
Posts: 278
Watching her videos of Nigeria in quite a few of her interactions one can see a familiar tactic that many women learned when they were young; keep smiling and be jovial ... because it's all a joke, until it isn't.

That was the feeling I got when she spoke with the police who asked for money - if you say "oh, you're so silly, haha, yeah that's a good joke!" then they can stay in the "shroedinger's douchebag" zone of saying it's all a joke and play it off when they don't get their way. The moment you start to freak out or take it as a serious threat, they'll escalate.
__________________
FreeBSD fan since before it was cool ...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 19 Jan 2024
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofurball View Post
Watching her videos of Nigeria in quite a few of her interactions one can see a familiar tactic that many women learned when they were young; keep smiling and be jovial ... because it's all a joke, until it isn't.

That was the feeling I got when she spoke with the police who asked for money - if you say "oh, you're so silly, haha, yeah that's a good joke!" then they can stay in the "shroedinger's douchebag" zone of saying it's all a joke and play it off when they don't get their way. The moment you start to freak out or take it as a serious threat, they'll escalate.
I haven't watched this video, but your description of this "tactic" sounds precisely what I've always done, too. For women it's more important, since there is (sadly) survival value in it which comes into play a lot in normal life.

I've also had experiences where I crossed the line into being too jovial--the response being "So you think this is a joke, son...."--and others where I pushed too hard or let my impatience show, provoking a dangerous escalation.

FWIW, I don't think anyone travels by bike much in West Africa without having similar experiences periodically. Same in Latin America, parts of Asia, places like Ukraine. And to be fair I've seen it on rare occasions in the USA as well. What she did is not unusual, but from the sound of it she's highly skilled at it.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 20 Jan 2024
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: midlands uk
Posts: 224
Does it matter ?

Does it really matter if "itchy" has some back up at times ?
She may or may not !
But she makes fantastic viewing !
K
( not suitable for all ! )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know where Itchy Boots is? Suncoast The HUBB PUB 3 1 Feb 2022 09:53
Boots for RTW - Help me decide JakobDK Camping Equipment and all Clothing 16 1 Sep 2019 02:35
The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra troyfromtexas Ride Tales 197 22 Apr 2014 19:39
GP V MX V Road boots Daze55556 Camping Equipment and all Clothing 1 19 Mar 2014 04:15

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:37.