Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Staying Healthy on the Road
Staying Healthy on the Road Medical info, e.g. malaria, vaccinations, travel medical tips, medical insurance, where to find a doctor.
Photo by Bettina Hoebenreich, At the foot of the Bear Glaciers, eternal ice, British Columbia, Canada

Adventure is what you make it

Photo by Bettina Hoebenreich, at the foot of the Bear Glaciers, British Columbia, Canada.



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10 Feb 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: On the move
Posts: 66
I understand about the name problem - commando wipes would be a better name! Perhaps this is a new business opportunity for someone.

The ones I use - Natracare Certified Organic Cotton - are in neutral packaging and don't have the word 'feminine' anywhere on them!! Try googling it.

I give them to my boyfriend when he goes away but I decant them into a small ziplock bag and tell him they are baby wipes! Don't tell him will you!!

Kate
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Staffordshire. uk
Posts: 766
If they printed them in camoflage I think you could sell them to the MOD!
They take "crotch rot" seriously, It's hard to concentrate on killing people when you're in pain. That's why issue Y fronts are like string vests, plenty of air in there is good. There's a good reason they're known as "shreddies" ha ha.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 2 Jun 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midlands, UK
Posts: 4
Holy Hell! Just stumbled across this thread and thought WTF????? To the OP, think before you submit to this procedure, and then have another good think.
Ignore anything any quack tells you about it being a minor op, it is not, especially at your age. It hurts like a MF. I know, due to a banjo-string incident some years ago, so I had to be "done". It took weeks of salt baths and loose clothing before I was ready to dip Him somewhere else warm and wet, and I'll say it again, IT HURTS.

However, leaving the op aside, the thing I think you need to consider is how Kojak will react after you have dispensed with his roll-neck, then after a few months stuff him inside some sweaty pants and crush him against a bike seat for long miles. He will be quite a bit more sensitive anyway, having spent the previous part of his life hiding away, and becoming a Roundhead will take some getting used to day-to-day, without a long trip on a bike. You may be setting yourself up for more problems down there!

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 2 Jun 2008
Alexlebrit's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West London
Posts: 920
Feminine wipes - I can thoroughly recommend them, I've used them plenty of times when cycling, and they're much better for your nethers than baby wipes.

As for buying them, suck it up, be a man and just go ask for some, after all you're travelling, by the time the word has spread of the guy on a bike with the "problem" you'll be long gone. It's infinitely easier to ask for feminine wipes in your 30's that to ask for that first packet of condoms when you're 14.
__________________
Happiness has 125 cc
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 3 Jun 2008
dpdaniel's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremist View Post
Holy Hell! Just stumbled across this thread and thought WTF????? To the OP, think before you submit to this procedure, and then have another good think.
Ignore anything any quack tells you about it being a minor op, it is not, especially at your age. It hurts like a MF. I know, due to a banjo-string incident some years ago, so I had to be "done". It took weeks of salt baths and loose clothing before I was ready to dip Him somewhere else warm and wet, and I'll say it again, IT HURTS.

However, leaving the op aside, the thing I think you need to consider is how Kojak will react after you have dispensed with his roll-neck, then after a few months stuff him inside some sweaty pants and crush him against a bike seat for long miles. He will be quite a bit more sensitive anyway, having spent the previous part of his life hiding away, and becoming a Roundhead will take some getting used to day-to-day, without a long trip on a bike. You may be setting yourself up for more problems down there!

Good luck.
Interesting to hear a previous experience. I rely on them a lot on this site for things outside my area of expertise (and there are many!) but this one may just touch upon my arena. I have never had the op myself but have seen a number as the doctor doing the anaesthetic, and I think Extremist raises some good points. There are genuine reasons for circumcision but they are rare and there is a reality to the surgery not be ignored (as above). I do respect that recurrent thrush is not a trivial issue, but I would recommend a very considered decision in regard to surgery.

Personally I wouldn't be going off to get any operation unless I absolutely had to. These days surgery is so commonplace in many of our lives (and on TV) the perception in the public domain is that it's like a trip to the dentist. It isn't. It is a serious undertaking, with risks. These risks may be small for most healthy people, but they exist. Plus the pain, the recovery time, etc...and the result may not be what you wanted. Terms like "getting the snip" fool people into thinking circumcision is as easy as getting a haircut (sorry for the imagery).

For example, one of the Urologists I have worked with said that he would never get his own children circumcised unless there was a very, very, very good medical reason, and no other option.

That said, there are genuine indications for circumcision - as some people have noted already, and yours may be one of them - if it is serious enough. Talk to a Urologist (who do circumcisions in adults). Weigh up the risks and benefits (of the surgery and the anaesthetic). Use surgery as a last resort.

Sorry if I sounded a bit scary there - don't want to scare people off from getting the best treatment, but just because we can perform a lot more surgery these days for a lot more things is not a reason that we should.

Lots of good advice on "cleaning strategies" here that I'm sure you can test out before you leave to find out what works for you.

Finally, as mattcbf600 and others have noted - I agree that this is a genuine reason to post a question that most would shy away from, and the fact that it provides an invitation to the comedians amongst us - all the better!

Cheers,
Damien
__________________
Keep passing open windows...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 4 Jun 2008
kevinhancock750's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: gone for a spin
Posts: 269
here's hoping!

and here's me hoping that matchf600 does'nt do a video review on the subject!

if all else fail's you can wipe it in the curtain's...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 4 Jun 2008
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,085
An WW2 Artillery captain that I used to know , had a very novel treatment for gunners with sore parts .
He would make them lie face down on a wooden board with a knothole in it for 30 minutes .
Their John Thomas would poke through the knot hole and dangle in a jamjar containing Dettol .

I asked him if it worked , replied that he didn't have a bloody clue but that it would make them much more careful about where they put it in future .
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 5 Jun 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 166
while they're down there...

septicrat, mate, here's the go:

while the surgeon's got his knives to you, get him to sew up your arse as well. this will alleviate any concerns you might have had regarding anal hygiene.

besides, you'll be able to offload any bogroll you might otherwise have packed, further reducing the weight of your cykel.

good luck. next post from the recovery room, please.
__________________
www.outforaspin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 6 Jun 2008
mattcbf600's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhancock750 View Post
and here's me hoping that matchf600 does'nt do a video review on the subject!
Oh dear.... that would be a video nasty!
__________________
------------------
http://thelondonbiker.com/blog

Watch some of my camp cooking videos

AIM: mattcashmore
SKYPE: matthewcashmore
MSN: matthew@matthewcashmore.com
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 6 Jun 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salisbury UK
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septicrat View Post
...I was curious if any other fellow travellers out there have considered of even had a Circumsision for hygene purposes...
Go for it. So you'll walk around like John Wayne for a couple of weeks...
__________________
I've a feeling I'm not in Kansas anymore.

Last edited by teflon; 6 Jun 2008 at 21:04.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 23 Jun 2008
Caminando's Avatar
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DogZone Country
Posts: 1,218
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdaniel View Post
Interesting to hear a previous experience. I rely on them a lot on this site for things outside my area of expertise (and there are many!) but this one may just touch upon my arena. I have never had the op myself but have seen a number as the doctor doing the anaesthetic, and I think Extremist raises some good points. There are genuine reasons for circumcision but they are rare and there is a reality to the surgery not be ignored (as above). I do respect that recurrent thrush is not a trivial issue, but I would recommend a very considered decision in regard to surgery.

Personally I wouldn't be going off to get any operation unless I absolutely had to. These days surgery is so commonplace in many of our lives (and on TV) the perception in the public domain is that it's like a trip to the dentist. It isn't. It is a serious undertaking, with risks. These risks may be small for most healthy people, but they exist. Plus the pain, the recovery time, etc...and the result may not be what you wanted. Terms like "getting the snip" fool people into thinking circumcision is as easy as getting a haircut (sorry for the imagery).

For example, one of the Urologists I have worked with said that he would never get his own children circumcised unless there was a very, very, very good medical reason, and no other option.

That said, there are genuine indications for circumcision - as some people have noted already, and yours may be one of them - if it is serious enough. Talk to a Urologist (who do circumcisions in adults). Weigh up the risks and benefits (of the surgery and the anaesthetic). Use surgery as a last resort.

Sorry if I sounded a bit scary there - don't want to scare people off from getting the best treatment, but just because we can perform a lot more surgery these days for a lot more things is not a reason that we should.

Lots of good advice on "cleaning strategies" here that I'm sure you can test out before you leave to find out what works for you.

Finally, as mattcbf600 and others have noted - I agree that this is a genuine reason to post a question that most would shy away from, and the fact that it provides an invitation to the comedians amongst us - all the better!

Cheers,
Damien

Hi D

Thanks for your rational, informative post, confirming all I suspected.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2 Jul 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Wow, cant believe this post is still alive.
Firstly, thanks to the few that gave constructive replies.
Secondly, Bollocks to the rest who gave sarcastic dumbphukk replies. I dont recall saying I was going to avoid cleaning myself at all during the trip, just wont be able to have a strict routine like at home. I did mention having "Wipe Downs" which would include pots of water to clean daily.
My thrush problem flairs up very easily if I dont stick to a strict routine, can you honestly tell me some of you "Perfect" travellers have a Strict routine??? Fine, so you can wash yer knob off in a cup daily and give it a wipe with a non perfumed baby wipe, but the sweat build up and lack of Proper cleaning has caused problems for me in the past, I was not asking cos I'm some crusty arsed dirtbag, but someone with a annoying sensitive problem wanting advice.
Anyway, I had the snip and it worked a treat, I've not had a bout in over three months. Within that three month period I;ve done a 3 week trip thorugh Spain and Portugal living remotly and washing in a cup pretty often, and no problems......so thanks to those with decent replies, and again, Bollocks to the rest, learn to read before coming up with insulting shit!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Staffordshire. uk
Posts: 766
Well I had some fun even if you didn't. I'm glad you're surgery went well and thanks for not posting pictures!!

Knob washers of the world unite...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 3 Jul 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midlands, UK
Posts: 4
And was it a tad sore for a while?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 3 Jul 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremist View Post
And was it a tad sore for a while?
Boy was it?!? Took about a month to feel normal, but its all good now.
Still feels a little weird, and looks like someone elses lol. Glad I've done it, seems to have helped with the Thrush problem and have also had some medication which probably helped aswell.
So far so good.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insuranceā„¢ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:52.