Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > SOUTH AMERICA
SOUTH AMERICA Topics specific to South America only.
Photo by Josephine Flohr, Elephant at Camp, Namibia

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by Josephine Flohr,
Elephant at Camp, Namibia



Like Tree185Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 10 Oct 2019
Pastourer's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madrid
Posts: 27
Best wishes and all my support. Keep the faith!
  #92  
Old 10 Oct 2019
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brasil
Posts: 100
Tks mika. Yep,pastorage!!
  #93  
Old 13 Oct 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
Hello everybody,

First a big thank you for your support so far, I would have felt very alone without the help and encouragement from the biker community!

I've been back in Bolivia for a week now. We have a hotel register entry in Coroico - Nicolas made it through the Carretera de la Muerte unscathed. He stayed at Hotel Bellavista from June 18 thru 21. He was apparently planning to take ill-famed route 25 from Coroico to Cochabamba through Chulumani, and then ride on to Santa Cruz.

I'm now in Santa Cruz, where I've talked to a very credible witness, who had a chat with Nicolas around June 26.

We need help from riders who are currently in Bolivia, in the Santa Cruz area: We need a hotel/hostel registry entry for his nights before / after he left Santa Cruz end of June: Nicolas' full name is Nicolas Stephane Marc Holzem, he's a Luxembourg citizen, and 44 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP locate missing biker on his way to Bolivia-20190905_053521.jpg  


Last edited by akosiwa; 13 Oct 2019 at 15:34. Reason: formatting
  #94  
Old 13 Oct 2019
chris's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: GOC
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosiwa View Post
Hello everybody,

First a big thank you for your support so far, I would have felt very alone without the help and encouragement from the biker community!

I've been back in Bolivia for a week now. We have a hotel register entry in Coroico - Nicolas made it through the Carretera de la Muerte unscathed. He stayed at Hotel Bellavista from June 18 thru 21. He was apparently planning to take ill-famed route 25 from Coroico to Cochabamba through Chulumani, and then ride on to Santa Cruz.

I'm now in Santa Cruz, where I've talked to a very credible witness, who had a chat with Nicolas around June 26.

We need help from riders who are currently in Bolivia, in the Santa Cruz area: We need a hotel/hostel registry entry for his nights before / after he left Santa Cruz end of June: Nicolas' full name is Nicolas Stephane Marc Holzem, he's a Luxembourg citizen, and 44 years old.

Many thanks for the update. As you know from your Facebook group, this article was in a local newspaper
https://www.eldeber.com.bo/153042_bu...o-desaparecido

(You had it put there, of course!! )

Is this the "chat" you refer to? With the guy who worked on Nico's bike?

How close are you to accessing his bank / credit card transaction information?

Hang on in there. Stay strong!
  #95  
Old 13 Oct 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
Hi Chris, there's a mistake in this article (and I'm not the one who posted it on FB). Nicolas talked to the manager of Superstore Sure, who is a keen biker himself. The manager - his name is Franklin - noticed Nicolas' bike parked outside of the store and went out to have a closer look at the bike and a chat with Nicolas.

Re the credit card information, believe me, I've been pushing for this as hard as I can from day one. The problem is, from my experience so far, Luxembourg cops are all in all not less lazy and burocratic than their Bolivian counterparts. Nicolas has a bank account in Poland. My sister brought the bank name and the account number to the Luxembourg police on a silver platter. The only thing they needed to do was write an official request for the associated credit card number to Nicolas' bank. This is all the Bolivian police needs to search the national credit card transaction database. This was more than 6 weeks ago. Instead of contacting the Polish bank they started some heavy judiciary procedure to request full access to Nicolas transaction history from Nicolas' Polish bank. Or at least this is my understanding: The Luxembourg police won't even talk to me - in their very own words 'because I'm not physically present in Luxembourg' ...
  #96  
Old 13 Oct 2019
chris's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: GOC
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosiwa View Post
Hi Chris, there's a mistake in this article (and I'm not the one who posted it on FB). Nicolas talked to the manager of Superstore Sure, who is a keen biker himself. The manager - his name is Franklin - noticed Nicolas' bike parked outside of the store and went out to have a closer look at the bike and a chat with Nicolas.

Re the credit card information, believe me, I've been pushing for this as hard as I can from day one. The problem is, from my experience so far, Luxembourg cops are all in all not less lazy and burocratic than their Bolivian counterparts. Nicolas has a bank account in Poland. My sister brought the bank name and the account number to the Luxembourg police on a silver platter. The only thing they needed to do was write an official request for the associated credit card number to Nicolas' bank. This is all the Bolivian police needs to search the national credit card transaction database. This was more than 6 weeks ago. Instead of contacting the Polish bank they started some heavy judiciary procedure to request full access to Nicolas transaction history from Nicolas' Polish bank. Or at least this is my understanding: The Luxembourg police won't even talk to me - in their very own words 'because I'm not physically present in Luxembourg' ...
Many thanks for the quick reply and the clarification regarding my first point.

The Luxembourg police clearly are as useless as the (unjustified?) reputation for which Latin American/ African police are known. You have the letter from the lady in the Luxembourg Royal Family. Is that any use when dealing with the Lux police? There must be some sort of European / Worldwide missing persons central bureau? Like there's Interpol for looking for criminals.

In my limited experience of dealing with commercial organisations, including in my case, ASDA supermarket and British Airways, when I couldn't get what I wanted from their minions, I wrote to their organ grinder = chief executive. And got what I needed... Write/email to the Luxembourg Prime Minister/President? Or the Polish equivalent?
  #97  
Old 13 Oct 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
Done: https://www.facebook.com/11056946362...ndex=0&app=fbl

and done: https://www.facebook.com/11056946362...78871/?app=fbl

What I need is hotel register entries around Santa Cruz ... see my first post for today above
  #98  
Old 13 Oct 2019
chris's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: GOC
Posts: 3,327
Thanks. Presume that they haven't replied?

Thinking out loud: Try doorstepping the PM? Or a local member of parliament? If you're not in Luxembourg, is there another family member/friend who lives locally? Get a lawyer involved: Threaten to sue the Lux police for not doing their job? Anything to promote their fat ar$es into burning calories.

Stay strong!
  #99  
Old 26 Oct 2019
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Samaipata / Bolivia
Posts: 891
Nicolas Holzem 26/10/2019

Hello all,

time for an update here on the Hubb again.

Bolivia is at the moment locked down by a nation wide general strike, as the election fraud was too obvious.

Catherine, Nicolas sister, is searching for him near Rurrenabaque ... and the Bolivian biker community is trying to help as much as they can. Catherine found some new leads and talked to people that met Nicolas near Rurrenabaque.

On 16/07 Nicolas was seen in San Buenaventura (near Rurrenabaque) at the village fiesta, and Catherine met people that talked to him. He was trying to sell his bike.

This is exactly one month after he entered Bolivia and after he had the last contact with his family.

We are still waiting for the credit card details from the police in Luxembourg.

More later on.

Saludos desde Samaipata
mika
  #100  
Old 28 Oct 2019
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami/Managua
Posts: 211
if these findings are true, this story and thread are becoming quite suspicious. traveler stops communicating with his "family." now trying to sell his bike during a trip? his own national police refusing to investigate their own missing citizen's financial history? maybe he wants to disappear.



i truly hope the guy is ok. i really do. but this story has become fishier by the day.



and yeah, someone is gonna come along and tell me to shut up, and that's fine.
__________________
'07 DL1000 '08 DR650
  #101  
Old 28 Oct 2019
Pastourer's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madrid
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
if these findings are true, this story and thread are becoming quite suspicious. traveler stops communicating with his "family." now trying to sell his bike during a trip? his own national police refusing to investigate their own missing citizen's financial history? maybe he wants to disappear.



i truly hope the guy is ok. i really do. but this story has become fishier by the day.



and yeah, someone is gonna come along and tell me to shut up, and that's fine.
That would be really bad news for the family. If he really wants to desappear, it won't be easy to locate him...
  #102  
Old 28 Oct 2019
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 807
Sorry if this has already tried, or been suggested and rejected, but could you get a TV channel or investigative journalist on the case? Those guys are normally pretty good at opening doors and can apply pressure to uncooperative authorities that individuals couldn't.
  #103  
Old 28 Oct 2019
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 70
Sell Moto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
if these findings are true, this story and thread are becoming quite suspicious. traveler stops communicating with his "family." now trying to sell his bike during a trip? his own national police refusing to investigate their own missing citizen's financial history? maybe he wants to disappear.



i truly hope the guy is ok. i really do. but this story has become fishier by the day.



and yeah, someone is gonna come along and tell me to shut up, and that's fine.
I agree, there's a reason, he wanted to sell moto?
We are all still hopeful
  #104  
Old 30 Oct 2019
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
Hi guys,

I'm on my way back home. I've been able to trace Nicolas all the way through mid-September. I now believe he's alright and just needs some time off the grid. I've got no proofs - we still haven't been able to get hold of his credit card data - but I'm confident enough to be able to resume my life. I don't think he knows we're looking for him. If you come across him, please say hi and ask him to write to his daughter. I'm not sure I've managed to completely convince her that her dad is alright.

Last edited by akosiwa; 15 Dec 2019 at 03:13.
  #105  
Old 30 Oct 2019
chris's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: GOC
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosiwa View Post
Hi guys,

I'm on my way back home. I've been able to trace Nicolas all the way through mid-September. I now believe he's alright and just needs some time off the grid. I've got no proofs - we still haven't been able to get hold of his credit card data - but I'm confident enough to be able to resume my life. I don't think he knows we're looking for him. If you come across him, please say hi and ask him to write to his daughter. I'm not sure I've managed to completely convince her that her dad is alright.
That is very positive news.
Closed Thread

Tags
bolivia, chile, missing biker


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing biker. Peru chris SOUTH AMERICA 5 28 Nov 2018 02:07
How to buy a dual-sport bike in Bolivia - it's easier than you think! artia SOUTH AMERICA 4 7 Mar 2017 06:34
Bolivia - RHD ? fuel ?? security !!!‏ Phil Flanagan SOUTH AMERICA 1 7 Dec 2012 16:05
Buying a bike in Bolivia! Mellow08 Ride Tales 0 12 Oct 2012 02:54
My travels to Bolivia, Chile, Perú & Brasil. LukitasARG Ride Tales 3 6 Feb 2012 10:31

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

2025:

  • Queensland is back! Date TBC - May?

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:33.