Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > 4 wheels > 4 wheel Overland Travel
4 wheel Overland Travel NON-technical 4 wheel forum, for subjects specific to TRAVEL with 4 (or more!) wheeled vehicles. e.g. Driving Techniques, Shipping etc.
Photo by Igor Djokovic, camping above San Juan river, Arizona USA

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!

Photo by Igor Djokovic,
camping above San Juan river,
Arizona USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 621
European car insurance

Hi all

Currently I am in Russia in my UK registered Toyota Landcruiser and nearing the end of my 18 month trip. Soon I will leave Russia and enter the EU - most likely at the Latvia/Russia border - to drive back to the UK. I'll need a month of 3rd party insurance that covers me for the EU. EU law, as readers are no doubt aware, means that insurance bought in any EU member state provides 3rd party cover anywhere else in the EU - the Green Card system. UK insurance isn't a option I want to pursue as my MOT and road tax have expired and can't be renewed until I get the car back to the UK and drive straight from Dover ferry port to a pre-booked MOT.

So how can I get EU insurance? Can it be bought at the border, or online? I have heard comments that there is a wide variation in the cost of 3rd party insurance between different EU countries - eg Polish is far cheaper than German. Am not bothered which EU member state I buy the insurance in. Have looked online, but none of the sites seem to be in English apart from UK ones.

Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bribie Island Australia
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by ilesmark View Post
EU law, as readers are no doubt aware, means that insurance bought in any EU member state provides 3rd party cover anywhere else in the EU - the Green Card system.
I'm almost positive that the same EU law requires proof of the vehicle registration for the insurance to be valid. Every insurer will take your money and give you a green card - but if anything causes a claim you'll be left with no insurance cover.
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 621
Well - my car is still UK registered. I haven't declared it permanently exported or anything like that.

I'd find it hard to believe that other overlanders in UK registered vehicles haven't faced - and dealt with - the issue of insurance when crossing the EU to return to the UK after an extended overland trip.
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2008
roamingyak's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,134
Ring up your normal UK insurance company and buy 12 months of insurance as you normally would. It should give you 30-90 days of European cover and your away.

Don't mention long trips or anything of the sort. It will cause confusion.

Before you get back to the UK ring up and book under your name a MOT test for the day you get back or the next day. From the ferry drive straight to the MOT test and legally your fine.

There are other longer threads on this....
Kiwi, 7 years around Africa. Overlanding channel:https://www.youtube.com/c/roamingyak
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Kent, Uk
Posts: 391
You take yer chances!!


if you are driving within the EU without a valid MOT etc, then technically you are uninsured/driving illegally. However, if you manage to get some insurance/green card somewhere out east then as long as you avoid any 'difficult' situations you should be ok. Of course should you get stopped and you can't produce a current MOT you could be in trouble.
If that situation arose, I would look stunned and say I must have lost it/left it in ????? where/when I last showed officials my paperwork.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 621
I'd sooner not involve my UK insurance co as a) I don't plan on keeping the car for very long after I return to the UK and b) a lack of current UK MoT/Road Tax would probably cause more hassle with a UK insurance co than it would with a European one and c) UK 3rd party insurance is quite a bit more expensive than that in other EU states.

Regarding lack of UK MoT/Road Tax, DVLA advised me that this would technically be an offence in each EU member state I passed through, but it would be up to the police in that country to catch me while I was on their territory - once I'd left, that would be the end of it. Passing through other EU states minus UK MoT/Road Tax would not be an offence in the UK until I set tyre on UK roads.

So if anyone can let me know the contact details of some companies for EU insurance, please let me know.

I also looked at this thread

and emailed ARISA insurances, but haven't had any answer as yet.

Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 621

Just in case this is of use to anyone else -

Having not had any response from Arisa or AXA, I got a bit worried towards the end of my time in Russia. I had got a German friend to check with the ADAC, who said they could provide Green Card cover within the EU to a UK-registered car (but it would be expensive). I then spoke to a Latvian insurance company, who said that only Latvian or 3rd countries (non-EU) citizens could buy insurance on the Russian/Latvian border. They said they used to sell insurance to cover ALL EU nationals as well as non-EU, but had to stop as of November last year as they were advised it was 'against the law' - whether that was Latvian law or EU law I don't know, but my understanding is that EU law means members of every EU member state should able to buy EU car insurance anywhere in the EU, so if that insurance company is following Latvian law in precedence over EU law on this then it may be wrong to do so. Nevertheless, the British Embassy in Riga also confirmed what the Lativian insurance company had said.

I also tried AIG's office in Moscow – they provide Green Card cover from Russia for EU countries only for Russian-registered cars (although readers may like to note that Russia will be joining the Green Card scheme on 01.01.09, so buying Green Card cover from Russia will be just the same as it should be from anywhere else in the EU).

I really couldn't understand what the problem was with me not being able to get Green Card cover at the Latvian border, so I took the number of the ADAC with me to the border, ready to call them to activate cover if I got refused by the Latvians. But would you believe it - I went to the booth, showed them my UK registration certificate and passport and they sold me a 1 month Green Card policy!
Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2017
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Insurance for UK visitors

We are from Australia and currently in England preparing to buy a couple of bikes and spend 6 months in the UK and Europe. Finding insurance has been a nightmare but eventually got some from St John (Sinjon) at CanfieldPayne Insurance Consultants in East Grinstead, he even got the underwriters to recognise both of our 5 years no claim bonuses and more than halved the premium.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here is where you get the cheap european green card insurance peter-denmark Trip Paperwork 294 20 Sep 2023 00:00
Do I need European 3rd party insurance in Africa? assafdv Trip Paperwork 8 23 Mar 2008 19:29
European Theft Insurance for UK Residents levitan Trip Paperwork 3 11 Jan 2006 22:52
antipodean bike, european insurance-a success story seanh Trip Paperwork 4 21 Sep 2005 09:59
European Insurance for a bike on african plates greenbug North Africa 1 10 Apr 2003 23:41



Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.


Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!

Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.

Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:40.