Carnet de Passages en Douanes - List of countries where it is Required

The OFFICIAL list of countries where you CAN use a carnet:

NOTE: This does NOT mean you MUST use a carnet in these countries,
only that you CAN if you wish!

See below for where a carnet is REQUIRED

Australia Guinea-Bissau Paraguay
Travellers report Carnet OK as of Jan 5 2023
India Peru
Benin Indonesia Qatar
Bophuthatswana Iran Senegal
Botswana Iraq Singapore
Burkina Faso Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire Somalia
Burundi Jamaica South Africa
Cameroon Japan Sri Lanka
Canada Jordan Sudan
Central African Republic Kenya Surinam
Chad Kuwait Swaziland (SACU)
Chile Lebanon Syria
Ciskei Lesotho (SACU) Tanzania
Colombia Libya Togo
Comoros Malawi Trinidad and Tobago
Congo Malaysia Uganda
Costa Rica Mauritania United Arab Emirates
Cote d'Ivoire Myanmar Uruguay
Dutch Antilles Namibia (SACU) Vanuatu
Ecuador Nepal Venezuela
Egypt New Zealand Yemen
Gabon Niger Zimbabwe
Ghana Oman  

To the best of our knowledge, this lists all countries where a tourist is REQUIRED to produce a Carnet de Passages en Douanes to be able to temporarily import a vehicle.


Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Djibouti, DRC, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Libya, Malawi, Nigeria, Senegal (for vehicles older than 5 years), Southern African Customs Union (BW/NA/LS/SZ/ZA), Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda.

Other countries have a mechanism for temporarily importing a vehicle. This document is often referred as Passavant, Laissez-Passer or Salvo Conducto. A small fee is often charged to obtain it, and it allows the vehicle to be imported and driven for up to 1 month. It replaces the Carnet in that country, and should be returned to the customs office upon leaving the country.

From 2006 Senegal is easing the requirement for a Carnet de Passage. It is only required at the North Border, and drivers usually get through without a Carnet by paying a variable amount between 80-100 Euros.

Also from 2006, Egypt now has its own Carnet, available for those without a valid Carnet de Passage at the borders. It still requires a cash deposit (up to 2000 Euros) which is returned upon exit.

Americas (North, Central and South)

None. NO carnet is required anywhere, but you CAN use one if you already have it - but don't get one just for the Americas, it's not worth it.

Asia and Middle East

Bangladesh (Travellers report Carnet OK as of Jan 5 2023), India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, Nepal, Pakistan, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka

Malaysia: while officially required, it is no problem to enter or leave via land borders on the peninsula. Local bikers think that a problem would arise attempting to ship the bike out.

A letter from the Automobile Association of Malaysia

"...Please be informed that AAM provide the service in issuing of the Carnet the Passage (CDP) for Thai registered vehicles. Documents required are as belows;

  1. Application form for CDP (attached)
  2. Original and photocopy of vehicle Registration Card and current Insurance Policy.
  3. Depending on the purpose of application, vehicle inspection may be carried out to certify the vehicle details are in accordance with the registration card.
  4. Bank guarantee equivalent to the market price of the vehicle. v RM 1,000.00 per vehicle is charge (for non-AAM Member)

Regards, Erly Sarina
Member Relation Unit
Automobile Association of Malaysia

Tel no : 03-21626915
Fax no : 03-21618540
website :


You generally need a Carnet for Japan. If you enter by FERRY with your vehicle, there is a special exception that will allow temporary import without a carnet (Customs Form C 5014). Shipping by freight (sea or air), you will most likely require a Carnet. Some people are rumored to have been granted temporary import even by freight, but this is generally not allowed and may result in expenses in excess of the non-refundable part of your Carnet costs. If you do a permanent import, you will have to register the vehicle, a time consuming and expensive process even if you speak Japanese (and also requiring a legal address in Japan).

(by Chris of Japan, HU Mod, as of Dec 2014)




Australia (required - more details here), (and here), Vanuatu

Indonesian Motor Club:

Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI)[A]
Stadion Tennis, Sayap Kanan
Jln. Pintu Satu, Senayan,
Jakarta 10270

Tel: (62-21) 571 20 32 - 573 11 02
Fax: (62-21) 571 2037

Updates and information about this document

The contents of this page was originally mostly copied from the relevant Wikipedia page. However, updates to the Wikipedia page have been undone by others, citing 'original research'. Fair enough, this is not allowed on Wikipedia, but experiences by travellers are more useful to others than an academic requirement, so this page attempts to tell the reality as encountered by travellers at actual border crossings.

There are various documents on the internet, often cited, claiming to list 'requiring' countries. These lists seem to be mostly outdated and highly inaccurate, hence this attempt to produce a list for travellers that we ourselves can keep up-to-date.

US / Canada Carnet issuing authority is Boomerang Carnets, and they have loads of information of use to anyone. US / Canada residents MUST use them to get a carnet.

More HU information and explanations on Carnets and travel paperwork

Paperwork forum on the HUBB

Updates by Peter Hendricks (beddhist) or Grant Johnson (2023)


Carnet not required for Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Oman


Based on own experience: In none of the above mentioned countries is a Carnet required. When entering Oman from Saudi Arabia, I asked them and they waived it off, like"don't bother with that".

Leaving at the same border, they asked me whether I had a Carnet and when I said "no", they accepted that.

Only Kuwaiti border wanted to stamp the CDP, in a few weeks I will try to cross without one.

hi. i' a newie. Live in  Mauritius and planning to have a solo ride from London to China all through Europe, Russia and Mongolia.I intend to purchase a new motobike in UK for the trip. Shall I be needing a carnet for China ,Russia and Mongolia. Where can I get it from?

What if i do not have one? Shall I be refused entries in those countries or shall I just beable to declare it at the borders?

From China i intend to ship the bike to Mauritius where i shall have to pay the customs duties.

Thank You for your reply.


Welcome to HUBB.

This page is only for updating the list of countries demanding a CpD. You should post your question in the paperwork forum. Not may people here will see it.

1st, you need to find out whether in fact you can register and insure a bike in the UK.

2nd, none of the countries you list are on the list of countries requiring a CpD. However, please read up in the relevant forums on HUBB about China. I don't have recent info, but when I entered China in 2007 you needed a group with pre-arranged itinerary and an official guide. If there is no car in the group then you also need to hire a car and driver for the guide. Count on a lead time of several months and 4-5 dollar figures in costs per vehicle. For most people the costs and hassle make it not worth it, which is presumable how the Chinese govt. like it to be.

If you needed a carnet you would normally get it from an automobile club in the country where you register your vehicle.

Kind regards,


Many thanks for your reply and advice. Very helpful indeed.

And what about Oman? I don't see it on the list, but I'm pretty sure it is needed there.

When we're SURE either way, because someone has confirmed, we'll add it :) If you're going that way, please let us know what you find out here, that's the only way to be sure.


Hi Grant,


I'm pretty sure that there used to be a whole lot of ME countries listed here. When I travelled in the region in 2008/9 I needed one for UAE, Oman & Yemen. A friend was planning to cross Saudi Arabia and I think he needed one, too.

So, did they get removed, or did I forget to put them there in the first place?

And while I'm here: Singapore, Indonesia, Timor Leste seem to have disappeared, too.



They're all under Asia, Middle East category


I'm a newbie, planning my first RTW trip, and I'm a bit confused by the information about the Carnet. I would be travelling from Belgium to Australia. Do I need to get a specific (separate) Carnet for each country I plan to travel through, or do I get 1 Carnet that is valid in all countries?

I'm also not clear on where I can request a Carnet?

Thanks for the help!


Welcome to HU!

You only get ONE carnet, valid for one year (renewable) for all the countries you will be passing through, and if you're wise, as many more in the area as possible without raising the price, just in case something goes wrong (war, floods, etc) and you need to reroute.

You get it generally from your local Automoibile Association.

Be sure to read: Paperwork - Carnets

Also for more information, read the Paperwork forum on the HUBB, and since you're just beginning, we recommend watching the HU Achievable Dream Video series, with everything you need to know about RTW travel, including a detailed explanation of Carnets.

Good luck on your trip, and keep us posted with a blog here on HU, or in the Ride Tales forum on the HUBB!


From the 1st September 2016, CPD Carnet holders are required to inform Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI) of their temporary importation into Indonesia.

The CPD holder/s are required to advise them the following to IMI via email: imi (att)

If this information is NOT received, The Indonesian Customs Office will not accept any vehicle with a CPD carnet into Indonesia.

Please provide the following: Name, Country, CPD number, Port of Entry to Indonesia, Itinerary Plan in Indonesia, Port of exit from Indonesia.

This comments section is ONLY for updates/corrections of this page.

If you want an answer to your questions please post in the appropriate FORUM section, most likely Paperwork.

Hi, just wanting to see if this is most up to date information in regards to NOT needing a carnet for South America. I have read conflicting information and just wanting to make sure one does not need a carnet for South America?

You won't see anyone here saying you NEED a carnet for North, Central, OR South America AT ALL, for many years.

Wherever you're reading it is WAY out of date. It hasn't been needed in South America since about 2006 or so.

It's always possible that if you fly in someone may ASK for a carnet - but that doesn't mean you NEED it, it only makes the paperwork easier. Without it you have to go through a little more paperwork and pay an extra fee or two, that's all.


Thank you so much Grant. You just saved us about AUS$2000.
Are the fees hefty in regards to the extra paperwork?

happy to help!

Fees - minimal, I would guess always under US$100 extra, often no extra, usually $20-30 or nothing.

I am also looking to do a trip from Japan to Russia and on through the stans this year however buying in Japan not freighting in.  It seems this does not require a carnet as a Japanese bike being ferried out, but will require registration in Japan.  Looking at prior posts is seems rego in Japan is very expensive?  Anyone know what is the cost to register say a 750 in Japan?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I leave in Afghanistan and i am Head of Private Sector Transportation Companies in Nimroz Province of Afghanistan that has borders with Iran And Pakistan.

We have multiple problems with our Current system and paper work and want to have

Carnet de passage service in our country so i am asking that what sould we do and How can we have this service in our country and do we have to give our request to our Government officials in Transport ministry or we have to contact your main office to establish it's agency in our country.

Please let me know your Organizatio's email and phone number so that we can contact .


Mahmood Wafa

Nimroz , Afghanistan

Mr. Wafa,

This is a very difficult question to answer, as we do not ourselves have anything to do with creating carnets, we are only users of the Carnet system.

To create a carnet system in Afghanistan, your "Automobile Association" needs to contact the AIT in Switzerland and be accepted into their system.

For information about them, see the Wikipedia entry:

and their official website:

Best of luck! We would be happy to see the Carnet system working in Afghanistan, however it may not solve the paperwork problems that you have, as it is only a guarantee that the vehicle will be exported out of the country, AND is expensive to get.

A better system is where some countries put a stamp in the passport of the driver with the serial number and licence plate number of the vehicle, and the driver must leave with the vehicle, or provide proof from the police that it was stolen or destroyed. This is MUCH simpler and cheaper to implement.

I live in Tanzania and carnets are not required and the Tanzaian AA dont issue them for vehicle regesterd here, as Ive found out. Thanks

Interesting! thanks for the update.

NOTE: there are TWO separate things happening here:

1: Whether Tanzania requires the carent for foreign vehicles - or not.

2: IF you have a Tanzanian vehicle, that doesn't mean you don't need a carnet to go to a country that DOES require a carnet. You DO need a carnet no matter where you're from to travel to a country that requires it. Usually if the local AA doesn't issue the carnet, you can get a carnet from a neighbouring country that does issue them.

I'd love a confirmation on point 1.

I just bought a Royal Enfield in India and took it through Nepal.  Contrary to the advise here (and in the Rough Guide and from the Nepalese consulate), at the Mahadrenagar border they did *not* ask to see a Carnet or even a driver's licence (international or otherwise) or insurance.  All they asked for was the Registration Certificate (and it wasn't even in my name!) and $42 for a 30-day permit for the bike.  And the police did stop me in Pokhara and asked to see that, but no one asked for it at the Eastern border.

The key here is that your bike is registered in India. I do believe that Indian vehicles are exempt.

It is often the case that the rules are different for "local" vehicles. As an example, Malaysia requires a carnet, but Thais cannot get one and they don't need it.


With the ferry from Vladivostok, we entered Sakaiminato - Japan in September 2013, with our car.

We had a Carnet, but, two bikers did not and temporarly imported the bike.  One of the bikers was a Colombian.  Colombia did not sign the FIA agreements (1947?) and therefore, Colombians cannot obtain a Carnet.  

We and the two bikers paid 12.000 Yen each to inspect and import the vehicle and the bikers were free to go.  We had to go to the Japanese Automobile Federation, seated in the next town, with a taxi, to receive a Validation Letter for the Carnet.  The same taxi took us then to the customs office to stamp the Carnet.  

Cost taxi: 10.000 Yen.  

Cost Carnet: 235 €.

It is faster and cheaper to temporarly import your vehicle in Japan.


We are Australians and are planning a Japan, Sth Korea, Russsia, Mongolia to Europe crossing next year. We are travelling on one bike and would need a Carnet de Passage just for Japan. An expensive excercise for just one country. The temporary import of the motorcycle is a better proposition. Australia is part of the Carnet network and could be expected to have one. Also our bike is 34 years old and know that Japan penalize old vehicles road tax wise. Do you know if this is a problem with the temporary import access?


Ken and Carol

Ken and Carol,

If you enter Japan by ferry there is a special exception that will allow temporary import without a carnet. Shipping by freight (sea or air), you will require a Carnet. I have heard rumours of people being granted temp. import even by freight, but I don't know anyone personally who has done it. I have been told by customs that is is not possible. 

If you do a non-temporary full import, you will have to register the bike and it will probably cost more than your Carnet.

Road taxes are not charged for temporary import. 

Ask on the HUBB if you have more questions! It was only by the grace of Grant that I saw this comment on the Carnet list page.

Many thanks Chris of Japan. Our research continues and believe if air freight can be arranged we will fly into Sapporo, Hokkaido and travel south to meet up with the ferry to Sth Korea, then a tour of Sth Korea before catching the ferry to Vladivostok.

The option of obtaining a Carnet de Passage or trying to enter using a C5014 remains. Being fairly conservative we will probably get the Carnet to ensure entry however I would be interested to know if any person has used Sapporo, Hokkaido as an entry point and if so was the Carnet mandatory? Thanks again Chris.

The section on African countries does not tally with my recent firsthand experience:

I travelled on my motorcycle without CPD through the following countries which you list as requiring CPD. In each one I passed Customs without difficulties


Guinea Bissau





Rep of Congo

and also the SACU countries

Thanks for the update Simon! "TIA - This is Africa", as you know, :) and things are always changing. What's "official" and what's real on the ground are often if not usually different.

When we get a confirmation we'll update the information.


Member login


Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?

Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.


Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details


HU Achievable Dream is Online
and available now to stream on Vimeo!

ALL 15 chapters of the HU Achievable Dream Guide are available to download on Vimeo!

Achievable Dream - The Whole Enchilada!

Binge watch over 18 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers!

"a cross between entertaining stories, tech tips, and reference guide"

"A timeless introduction to Motorcycle Adventure Travel!"

Originally launched as a 7 DVD set, The Achievable Dream series can now be downloaded anywhere. OVER 18 hours of solid info take up zero space in your panniers. How convenient!



All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.
NOTE: As an Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases - thanks for your help supporting HU when you start from an HU Amazon link!