- Culture - see the countries listed below for details.
- Weather / climate
- Road Conditions
- Border Crossings
- Visa Requirements
- Safety Alerts
- Transport (to and from the country - e.g. ferries, air cargo)
- Getting Parts Sent Out To You
- Links to contact info - e.g. consulates, embassies
- Sources for books and maps
- Fuel - Petrol, benzin, gas or gazoline? Here's a spreadsheet with all the names.
- World Standards on electricity, alphabets, time, car codes and more.
- General country information - see links below to countries we have info for - more always gratefully accepted if you want to write something up for your country! Also VERY important - Contact the HU Communities in the areas you're heading for to get the latest local information.
- Time Zone Map (214kb image)
For Country Information, we have borrowed info from the CIA World Factbook (in the public domain), on a number of countries which are currently of interest to travellers. This is not to be construed as an endorsement of the CIA, nor of their opinions on these countries. As always, you are advised to use your own good judgment when reading the summaries. We have also added lots of great information from travellers.
See the section on Turkey for an example of the information we would like to see about other countries. Any travellers who wish to contribute information on any of these topics for specific locations, please contact us.
Useful new goodies,
An Africa spreadsheet - everything from Ken Keller's Africa trip: "Myself and my friend (Dominator and NTV650 respectively) travelled from Lagos, Nigeria to Dublin, Ireland in 2000, without any major problems. We travelled through Benin, Togo, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Senegal, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, Spain and France.
The spreadsheet (has) all the information regarding route, equipment, costs, etc. It won't 'fit' everyone's trip, but it might give people an idea of how to go about storing all their information in one place."
Download it in Zip format - 100kb. Unzips to an xls.
A great new article on "How to do India" by Sam Manicom here.
India - Mahimapura - by Srinidhi Rhagavendra
Described as an unknown paradise, this is the only place in India where Garuda the vehicle of Lord Vishnu is worshipped in idol form. Why go, how to get there, important festivals and more info...
Patagonia - Southern Argentina, Chile and Tierra del Fuego - by Dieter Zerndt
Everything you need to know to have a great Patagonia trip! Dieter answers all the questions he had when planning his trip, February 2001.
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!
"The calendar is magnificent!"
"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"
We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!
Next HU Events
- Thailand: Jan 9-11, 2015
- NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16
- Germany: May 14-17
- Canada Ontario: Jun 18-21
- Ireland: June 26-28
- Colorado: July 17-19 TBC
- Canada West: Aug 20-23
- USA California: Sep 24-27
- Aus Queensland: Sep 24-27
- USA North Carolina: Oct 8-11
- Aus Perth: Oct 9-11
- Germany: Oct 22-25
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.