Malaysia, Travellers information
Amran Parimon has sent us the following links information, which Susan has added to:
"I hope the attached document would be useful to all fellow bikers coming to this part of the world. We (Malaysian) are not perfect and neither do we live in heaven. There are nice places and people and "not so nice" places and people too. Still this is home to me and despite seeing and living in other countries I still find Malaysia and her imperfection (bike is expensive and humidity is very high) as my world heaven.
Keep the smile and stay upright,
Regards from Kuala Lumpur, Amran Parimon"
Under Local Customs:
- "Seniority is greatly respected within Malay households. The eldest male of a family should be greeted first and frequently sits in the best or highest seat.
- Pointing with a finger is considered to be extremely rude. Instead, the entire hand should be used to indicate a direction, but not a person.
- It is important to remove one's shoes at the door of a house upon entering. It is also customary to do so upon entering a mosque or an Indian temple.
- Women should not wear dresses, skirts or shorts that are too short. In cities, towns and villages, shorts are considered highly inappropriate.
- Do not dress in any manner that may give the impression that you are a 'hippie,' as 'hippies' are banned from the country.
- Never give liquor to a Muslim (alcoholic beverages are forbidden in the Muslim religion), or clocks, watches, knives or white flowers to a Chinese person (white flowers are associated with death in Chinese culture, and so are clocks, knives and watches - the word for time and death sound similar)."
Under Useful Phrases:
- "Yes - Ya
- No - Teedak
- How are you? - apa kabar
- Good bye - se la mat jalan
- Thank you - Terima kasih
- Excuse me - Ma fkan say-ya
- Do you speak English? - Ta-hoo-kah ber -da ha sa Ingris?
- I don't understand - Saya tidak fa-ham
- Help! - To-long!
- Please bring me the menu - To long bawa untuk say-yame-noo
- Please bring me the bill - To long bawa untuk say-ya bil"
Inter knowledge (also lists itself as The Official Homepage of the Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board, New York). Places, People, Nature, Fun, Activities, History, Calendar of Events. Good listing of National Parks.
Perak Mosque - from InterKnowledge.com
Under Activities - what is there to do in Malaysia anyway? Answer - visit the world's oldest rain forest, visit a longhouse, diving, spelunking, jungle trekking, shopping, eating out. In other words, something for everyone!
Geographia Malaysia is another link to the same content: The Official Homepage of the Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board, New York.
Getting around (when you're off the bike):
Stephan and 'Chenda Solon, UK, Around the World, in Singapore and Malaysia
Peter and Kay Forwood, Australia, RTW, Travel around Malaysia/Singapore on a Harley
One of many great pics from Peter and Kay Forwood's travels to Malaysia
Connor Carson, UK, Round the World, in Malaysia and Indonesia
Jan Arild and May Tina Teland from Norway who visited Malaysia in 2000
Miscellaneous and Search Engines:
Listing of Cybercafes in Malaysia
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- France Mini: Sep 5-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.
"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."
"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.