Staying healthy on the road
This section consists of health and safety related information recorded from our own trips, plus other travellers information as we get it, and useful links to much more.
Topics (or scroll down)
On Terrorism page:
Diseases caught by eating contaminated food or drink include Hepatitis A, Salmonella, Typhoid and diarrhoea:
- Do not drink milk or eat dairy products which may be unpasteurized.
- Avoid salads unless vegetables have been treated
- Avoid uncooked food unless you prepare it - for example, peel all fruit yourself.
- Avoid food which has been re-heated, kept warm or exposed to flies.
- Remember ice is made from local water
- Drink fizzy bottled water or soft drinks - ensure you open the bottle yourself
- Boiling water may not be sufficient to kill all bacteria - should filter, then treat with iodine or chlorine (Puritabs) tablets.
- Strict personal hygiene
Avoid insect and mosquito bites. Cover up, especially after dusk. Use DEET based insect repellents. Take malaria prophylaxis strictly on schedule.
Sun damage is cumulative and can cause skin cancer - Use effective sun block.
Do not play with animals.
Our travel medical kit actual contents for Africa
First Aid Kit
- Small pressure dressing
- Large gauze bandage
- 3 Spenco Second skin
- 5 2 Towelettes + 3 abrasion cleaning pads
- 1 Thermometer
- 1 Scissors
- 1 Tweezers
- 8 Safety pins
- 1 Matches
- Assorted small bandaids
- 1 Elastic bandage
- 1 Adhesive tape - small rolls
- Gauze rolls
- Disposable gloves (sterile)
- 2 2 soakers
- Triangle bandages
- 2 Slings
- 1 SAM splint
- Wound closure strips
- Tincture of benzoin (enhances adhesiveness of wound closure strips
- 1 Sawyer's Extractor snake bite kit
- 1 Tick kit and instructions
- 1 Mountaineering Medicine
- 28g Cortaid 1% hydrocortisone cream
- 1 Aloe vera gel (burn ointment)-nalgene bottle
- Blister treatment
- 1 Dental kit
- 14g Neomycin ointment
- 56 Malaria prophylaxis - Mefloquine (Lariam) - 28 weeks supply
- 54 Quinine (48) & fansidar (6) for two courses of malaria treatment
- 30 Antibiotic - Ciprofloxacin (250 mg)
- 80 Pain relief - Solpadeine (paracetamol w/codeine)
- 60 Loperamide / Imodium - 2 mg
- 2 Scopoderm TTS - motion sickness patches
- 4 Bonine - motion sickness tablets
- 20 Cinnarizine (Stugeron) - motion sickness
- 10 Gastrolyte packages
- 24 Sudafed (decongestant)
- 14 Triludan (antihistamine for allergies)
- 1 pkg. Syringes (with doctor's letter)
- 24 Sodium dichlorisocyanurate - water purification
- 10g Potassium permanganate (for cleaning fruits and vegetables)
- 55g Mycil antifungal powder - 55g
- 25 g Mycil antifungal ointment - 25 g
- 10 ml Eye drops for conjunctivitis - 10 ml
- 3g Antibiotic eye ointment - 3g
- 11 Acid blockers (antacids)
- Small tube of Vaseline
- prescription drugs
Unfortunately, when travelling, mishaps sometimes cannot be avoided. It is always worth having your embassy's phone number to hand. Furthermore, personal injury firms such as Express Solicitors are there for you to seek advice if you believe the accident was not your fault.
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!
"The calendar is magnificent!"
"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"
We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!
Next HU Events
- UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Germany Autumn: Oct 23-26
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12, 2015
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!
Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).
"Inspiring and hilarious!"
"I loved watching this DVD!"
"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.