Why a bike?
Advantages (+) and Disadvantages (-)
+ Cheaper to operate - in most of the world a litre of gasoline is US$ .60 or more. Also, road tolls are always less for motorcycles and in many countries (e.g. Peru) motorcycles don't pay tolls.
+ Cheaper to transport over oceans or impassable areas of land - you can fly it!
+ Perceived as more accessible and less "rich western tourist" to locals in third world - they identify with a motorcycle as a cheaper form of transport and are much friendlier as a result.
+ Maintenance is generally much easier than with a car
+ The feeling of complete freedom (hard to explain to non-motorcyclists)
+ Twisty roads are fun!
+ Conversation starter, especially if you plaster your boxes with country flags and world map with your route. Note: everyone loves to see their own country's flag.
+ Closer to the environment - this can be positive or negative depending on the environment (e.g. behind a cattle truck), but usually positive.
+ On truly bad roads, easier to avoid potholes and other hazards (including buses passing slow trucks on blind curves coming your way).
Bente Bråthen checking in with bike - Photo © Dag Jenssen, Rocinantes Travels
And on the negative side:
- You get wet when it rains.
- You can't sleep in it.
- Not as good a view for the passenger.
- No air conditioning or heater (electric vest is a good substitute for a heater).
- Can't go places that a 4WD can go (e.g. Namib Desert - but you can rent a 4WD nearby and leave the bike in Windhoek) or that a car can go (e.g. game parks in Africa are all convinced that lions will jump out of trees onto your motorcycle and they WILL NOT let you into the park with it).
- Less stable when crossing flooded roads!
Vs. Public Transport
+ Flexibility - you decide when and where you want to go - except in deep sand or mud
+ Safer than buses or taxis in the third world - at least you know the driver has a license!
+ Security for belongings
- More expensive than buses
+ Considerably faster - can see much more in less time.
- Not as good exercise.
- More expensive.
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- France Mini: Sep 5-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.
"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."
"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.