Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Technical, Bike forums > Yamaha Tech
Yamaha Tech Originally the Yamaha XT600 Tech Forum, due to demand it now includes all Yamaha's technical / mechanical / repair / preparation questions.
Photo by Josephine Flohr, Elephant at Camp, Namibia

I haven't been everywhere...
but it's on my list!


Photo by Josephine Flohr,
Elephant at Camp, Namibia



Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 9 May 2024
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
well, thanks for the suggestions. "the most power" is not exactly what i was particularly looking for, but approach makes a good sense.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 9 May 2024
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by N67 View Post
well, thanks for the suggestions. "the most power" is not exactly what i was particularly looking for, but approach makes a good sense.
Well you do what you think is best for your engine, just dont crank alot, prime up carb and hope it starts on first turn with good oilflow, then various rpm and your good The bad part is for my understanding that you already have done alot of cranking looking for oilflow...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 9 May 2024
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
Well you do what you think is best for your engine, just dont crank alot, prime up carb and hope it starts on first turn with good oilflow, then various rpm and your good The bad part is for my understanding that you already have done alot of cranking looking for oilflow...
you're right, there was some pre-run cranking.
at least, everything inside was well soaked into the oil, which hopefully could had survived before the first run...
had first short ride today and despite of not yet tuned carbs (pilot and maybe primary as well needed some attention from the last time), after all this time it felt so nice...
generally, i'm following your suggestions. was varying throttle without hesitations, but still didn't went above the third gear this time.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 9 May 2024
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by N67 View Post
you're right, there was some pre-run cranking.
at least, everything inside was well soaked into the oil, which hopefully could had survived before the first run...
had first short ride today and despite of not yet tuned carbs (pilot and maybe primary as well needed some attention from the last time), after all this time it felt so nice...

generally, i'm following your suggestions. was varying throttle without hesitations, but still didn't went above the third gear this time.
Good to hear you are on the road again, what break in oil are you using? Keep it up to 70% load in beginning, remember wrong fule/airmix is not good either for breakin in and remember dont leave on idling and low rpm above 1500 is good.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10 May 2024
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
Good to hear you are on the road again, what break in oil are you using? Keep it up to 70% load in beginning, remember wrong fule/airmix is not good either for breakin in and remember dont leave on idling and low rpm above 1500 is good.
oil is 10w40 semi by rheinol.
mixture must be bit richer than normal, will address this issue soon.
as advised, idling time is minimal.
by the way, does this engine need checking the torque/retightening of head bolts after some time?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10 May 2024
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by N67 View Post
oil is 10w40 semi by rheinol.
mixture must be bit richer than normal, will address this issue soon.
as advised, idling time is minimal.
by the way, does this engine need checking the torque/retightening of head bolts after some time?
Ok, its not recomended using semi or synthetic oil, use break in oil! No its ok with headbolts torque.

Break-in oil is specifically formulated to seal the piston rings against the cylinder wall for maximum engine compression and power. Break-in oils use conventional base oils without friction-modifier additives to allow controlled wear between the rings and cylinder wall.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11 May 2024
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
Ok, its not recomended using semi or synthetic oil, use break in oil! No its ok with headbolts torque.

Break-in oil is specifically formulated to seal the piston rings against the cylinder wall for maximum engine compression and power. Break-in oils use conventional base oils without friction-modifier additives to allow controlled wear between the rings and cylinder wall.
well, that's another piece of knowledge getting by hard way.
tried some local search, for now found one option for car engines.
for now about 20km is done. any suggestions what could be done in the given situation?
meanwhile, fingers are crossed that no big trouble will take a place..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11 May 2024
xtrock's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by N67 View Post
well, that's another piece of knowledge getting by hard way.
tried some local search, for now found one option for car engines.
for now about 20km is done. any suggestions what could be done in the given situation?
meanwhile, fingers are crossed that no big trouble will take a place..
I dont know about the cylinder job, is it properly done with machine honing? If not it doesnt matter, you are in a spot now beyond changing oil to repair seating and maybe glazing the cylinder wall. Ride and enjoy Ride for 20km and do a compression test you will know more. Dont forget to change oil and filter less than 150km.

Last edited by xtrock; 11 May 2024 at 22:45.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 13 May 2024
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrock View Post
I dont know about the cylinder job, is it properly done with machine honing? If not it doesnt matter, you are in a spot now beyond changing oil to repair seating and maybe glazing the cylinder wall. Ride and enjoy Ride for 20km and do a compression test you will know more. Dont forget to change oil and filter less than 150km.
thanks for infos.
cylinder has some weird story behind (together with some other piston, wrote about it earlier).
to put it shortly, i was surprised by receiving oversized cylinder.
then it was checked and measured by someone experienced, who's approved the surface condition and dimensions. and according to him, it was machine honed just recently.
ok, let's see the results of compression test.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 1 Week Ago
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
ok, it took me a while to get some free time. was unable to find comp.gauge with compatible thread so had to craft it.
so far cold measurement only. slightly above 8 bars.

hopefully it could reach 9 (minimum value, according to manual) when hot.

but for now some other problem appears in the primary carb.
slide valve seems worn and adjacent areas inside the carb body as well. besides the not smooth throttle response guess this makes complicated to set mixture right.
as a temporary solution thinking about getting another slider but generally seems like new body is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 1 Week Ago
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 571
are you opening the throttle fully when doing the compression test?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 1 Week Ago
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguzzi View Post
are you opening the throttle fully when doing the compression test?
carbs were off for adjustments, hence the cold measurement.
maybe will manage to do it on the hot engine as well next week.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 1 Week Ago
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 571
yes, 8 is a bit on the low side, but dont know how accurate your tester is, I would at this point ride it and watch out for smoke


dont baby it when running in,
don tkeep it idling, ride on and giving it some throtlle every now and then is best
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 1 Week Ago
N67's Avatar
N67 N67 is online now
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dusheti, Georgia
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguzzi View Post
yes, 8 is a bit on the low side, but dont know how accurate your tester is, I would at this point ride it and watch out for smoke


dont baby it when running in,
don tkeep it idling, ride on and giving it some throtlle every now and then is best
thanks, basically that's what i do for now.
beside the carb-related issues, otherwise the engine feels and sounds pretty well. ok, i know that i could be somehow subjective as well, after all this period of deprivation. time will tell...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 1 Week Ago
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 571
carb situation for xts is getting difficult, not many used good sets around, quite a few people adapting twin CV carbs cinese copies from the Raptor quad... needs some fabrication though
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3TB/3AJ Engine in DJ02 frame? (XT600E) LiamEras Yamaha Tech 8 3 May 2020 13:33
XT600e 2002 heavy misfire/bogging thekillert601 Yamaha Tech 36 16 Feb 2017 08:23
Finally, a single cylinder adventure bike colebatch Which Bike? 305 27 Aug 2015 16:04
XT600E engine into my 34L FINALLY :) Higgins420 Yamaha Tech 3 20 Apr 2015 21:04
XT600E 2002 Engine Oil Trichelia Yamaha Tech 17 17 Nov 2011 14:25

 
 

Announcements

Thinking about traveling? Not sure about the whole thing? Watch the HU Achievable Dream Video Trailers and then get ALL the information you need to get inspired and learn how to travel anywhere in the world!

Have YOU ever wondered who has ridden around the world? We did too - and now here's the list of Circumnavigators!
Check it out now
, and add your information if we didn't find you.

Next HU Eventscalendar

HU Event and other updates on the HUBB Forum "Traveller's Advisories" thread.
ALL Dates subject to change.

2024:

2025:

  • Queensland is back! Date TBC - May?

Add yourself to the Updates List for each event!

Questions about an event? Ask here

HUBBUK: info

See all event details

 
World's most listened to Adventure Motorbike Show!
Check the RAW segments; Grant, your HU host is on every month!
Episodes below to listen to while you, err, pretend to do something or other...

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

2020 Edition of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

"Ultimate global guide for red-blooded bikers planning overseas exploration. Covers choice & preparation of best bike, shipping overseas, baggage design, riding techniques, travel health, visas, documentation, safety and useful addresses." Recommended. (Grant)



Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance.

Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ combines into a single integrated program the best evacuation and rescue with the premier travel insurance coverages designed for adventurers.

Led by special operations veterans, Stanford Medicine affiliated physicians, paramedics and other travel experts, Ripcord is perfect for adventure seekers, climbers, skiers, sports enthusiasts, hunters, international travelers, humanitarian efforts, expeditions and more.

Ripcord travel protection is now available for ALL nationalities, and travel is covered on motorcycles of all sizes!


 

What others say about HU...

"This site is the BIBLE for international bike travelers." Greg, Australia

"Thank you! The web site, The travels, The insight, The inspiration, Everything, just thanks." Colin, UK

"My friend and I are planning a trip from Singapore to England... We found (the HU) site invaluable as an aid to planning and have based a lot of our purchases (bikes, riding gear, etc.) on what we have learned from this site." Phil, Australia

"I for one always had an adventurous spirit, but you and Susan lit the fire for my trip and I'll be forever grateful for what you two do to inspire others to just do it." Brent, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the (video) series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring!" Jennifer, Canada

"Your worldwide organisation and events are the Go To places to for all serious touring and aspiring touring bikers." Trevor, South Africa

"This is the answer to all my questions." Haydn, Australia

"Keep going the excellent work you are doing for Horizons Unlimited - I love it!" Thomas, Germany

Lots more comments here!



Five books by Graham Field!

Diaries of a compulsive traveller
by Graham Field
Book, eBook, Audiobook

"A compelling, honest, inspiring and entertaining writing style with a built-in feel-good factor" Get them NOW from the authors' website and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk.



Back Road Map Books and Backroad GPS Maps for all of Canada - a must have!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80G/S.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events all over the world with the help of volunteers; we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, or ask questions on the HUBB. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:18.