Western Canada / USA, 2006: Fifth Annual HU Travellers Meeting
Nelson BC, Canada, August 25-27, 2006
We want to say a big THANK YOU to all the presenters, and those who came to watch them too!
What happened: (just so you know what you missed if you weren't there )
We showed Austin Vince's "Terra Circa" video about motorcycling the Zilov Gap â€“ Well attended, everyone stayed till the end. (2 hours +) (The video is available, listed on our books pages)
- 6:00 â€“ 7:00 Excellent catered supper
- 7:00 PM Speakers (actually started closer to 8pm due to the tent arriving late, and some technical difficultes) finished at 10:30
- George & Margo Coppus, Canada, â€œBetween Mordor and Marai â€“ Motorcycle Touring in New Zealandâ€
- Bernie, Linda and Jenny Hide, Canada, "Bikes, Beans and Borders, Arizona to Panama City and back"
- Werner Bausenhart, Canada: a pictorial summary of his many trips followed by a game of â€˜name that famous site'
- 8:00 â€“ 9:30 Catered breakfast
- 9:30 â€“ 12:00 Susan and Grant Johnson video: â€œThe Achievable Dreamâ€ moderated by Ekke Kok
- 12:00 â€“ 1:00 Catered Lunch
- 1:00 â€“ 2:00 For Women Only, â€œChatting about motorcycle travel issues specific to womenâ€
- 2:00 â€“ 3:00 Touratech Canada session with Dave Anderson
- 3:00 â€“ 4:00 Tire changing
- 5:30 â€“ 6:30 Catered supper
- 6:30 â€“ 6:45 David Breedon â€“ Demonstration of the amazingly packable â€˜Alpacka' inflatable raft
- 6:45 â€“ 7:00 50-50 draw and door prizes
- 7:00 PM Speakers
- Klaus Exner, Canada, â€œFrom the Rio Grande to the Arctic Circleâ€ , â€œTo Inuvik by boat and back by motorcycle.â€
- Ramona Eichhorn, Germany "around the world" with Uwe Krauss, Germany, on two KTM 640 Adventuresâ€
- Wolfgang Simmert â€œWolfgang's Australiaâ€
- Werner Bausenhart, Canada, "The Amazon - Guyana's loop: South America with a difference"
- Alec Bialski, Canada, "Central Europe, the good, the bad and the ugly"
- 10:30 Wrap up, feedback and questions
8:00 â€“ 9:30 Catered breakfast, and head for home!
Your HU Meeting Organizers were:
Ekke Kok - Registrations, general
Audrey Kok - Registrations, general
Chad Stocking - Registrations, general
Timo Scheiber â€“ MC, general questions
And from Susan and Grant - a special thanks to Timo, Ekke, Audrey and Chad - your help is much appreciated, by us - and those who attended the meeting - I hear you did a great job!
Campsite owners: Steve Ramsbottom & Mary Laird - Thanks Steve and Mary!
Send in YOUR photos!
Send your photos in! See the Contact HU below, or just email Grant.
Nelson BC, Canada.
Getting There -
Distances from Nelson
Attractions include national parks all around, fantastic roads, lakes and more, so plan to spend a few days!
DiscoverNelson.com has weather, facilities, accommodation, dining and shopping info.
can answer Registration questions, and on presenters and local questions, meeting logistics etc.
Susan and I started the Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Travellers Meetings in May of 2001 while we were living in the UK, with an event held in our backyard in Slough. That first event had almost 40 people show up, and we were especially pleased that some came from as far away as Norway!
In 2002 we had moved back to Canada, so we organized a meeting in Nairn Falls, British Columbia, and also asked Chris Bright and Glynn Roberts if they would organize a second UK meeting since we couldn't be there. We had a small but enthusiastic turnout for the Canadian meeting, with folks coming from as far away as Missouri (almost 3,000 kilometres!), Alberta and California, as well as two round the world travellers, from Switzerland and the UK.
But the Brits really exceeded our wildest expectations. Almost 100 people came to the HU UK 2002 event, and had a great time. No rock bands or beer bashes, just motorcycle travellers and would-be travellers getting together to share experiences and tips - what a concept! For the HU UK 2003 event, almost 200 enthusiastic folks came together over several days and this is now well established as an annual event, with Glynn and Chris continuing to provide superb organizing, and a host of volunteers.
Ken and Carol Duval hosted Australia's first HU travellers event in 2003, and they had almost 60 people. The meetings in New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico and Portugal in 2003 were also big successes, and we look forward to many more in the years to come. It's wonderful for us to come to the meetings and visit with the many friends we've only met over the internet, and of course for everyone meeting up and sharing stories - and planning to meet in Ushuaia next year!
See you at a meeting this year!
Grant and Susan
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!
"The calendar is magnificent!"
"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"
We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!
Next HU Events
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Germany Autumn: Oct 23-26
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12, 2015
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!
Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).
"Inspiring and hilarious!"
"I loved watching this DVD!"
"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!