Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Transport

Trip Transport Shipping the bike and yourself.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

UK Motorcycle Shipping Experts!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13 Jun 2007
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 610
James Cargo - Half term report (well they have to get us back yet :-) )

Shipping from the UK (Manchester) to New York.

James Cargo Services IATA, AATA, IPATA and DEFRA approved Cargo Agent

Bikes have been packed, and the plane the should be on has landed, that is a good start. We follow tomorrow.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable about packing bikes, they even show you a video of the full process.

Overall a very satisfactory service (so far ) at a decent price.
I'd like to say easy flowing and hitch less, but their quote/order system seems flawed.

Our 1st problem was the price quoted was from Felixstow, so I ended up going into the Manchester office to sort it all out.

Once the bikes were packed, we had a few hiccups over the final price and a 3% surcharge for using a debit card. It was all sorted out amicably with 2 emails and 1 phone call to end back at the pre-agreed price.

The price issue was down to the quote system not detailing all charges exactly and showing insurance as inclusive or not. Nor do the quotes state the 3% surcharge for debit cards ( I expect that to change :-) )

Anyway, £948 for an XJR1300 (one way), sending back by sea for £380 in 3 months or so.

Byeeee
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 1 Oct 2007
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Shipping from the UK (Manchester) to New York.

James Cargo Services IATA, AATA, IPATA and DEFRA approved Cargo Agent

Bikes have been packed, and the plane the should be on has landed, that is a good start. We follow tomorrow.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable about packing bikes, they even show you a video of the full process.

Overall a very satisfactory service (so far ) at a decent price.
I'd like to say easy flowing and hitch less, but their quote/order system seems flawed.

Our 1st problem was the price quoted was from Felixstow, so I ended up going into the Manchester office to sort it all out.

Once the bikes were packed, we had a few hiccups over the final price and a 3% surcharge for using a debit card. It was all sorted out amicably with 2 emails and 1 phone call to end back at the pre-agreed price.

The price issue was down to the quote system not detailing all charges exactly and showing insurance as inclusive or not. Nor do the quotes state the 3% surcharge for debit cards ( I expect that to change :-) )

Anyway, £948 for an XJR1300 (one way), sending back by sea for £380 in 3 months or so.

Byeeee
Well, I'm back :-)

Things didn't go 100% smoothly, our flight was cancelled (don't use a cheap airline like Flyglobespan to cross the atlatnti) and we got to JFK 29 hours late. When I rang James Cargo so they could inform the agent at JFK we would be delayed, they owned up that there had been a technical delay at Manchester and the bikes had been taken to Heathrow and would be late them selves.

All credit to James Cargo I think they had to stump up extra costs for that.

Dealing with customs was a breeze, even when the form we had filled out with James Cargo for the temporary import was the wrong one, right answers, wrong form. Officer Bartlet gave us a new form and we had the required stamp.

That just left unpacking the bikes at the AA depot, apparently not the done thing but for a $20 tip the fork lift driver was happy to help out and dispose of the crate.

Then it was off into the heat :-)

Trip report to follow, it may mention we went to Sturgis :-)
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1 Oct 2007
BruceP's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Helens
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Well, I'm back :-)

Things didn't go 100% smoothly, our flight was cancelled (don't use a cheap airline like Flyglobespan to cross the atlatnti) and we got to JFK 29 hours late. When I rang James Cargo so they could inform the agent at JFK we would be delayed, they owned up that there had been a technical delay at Manchester and the bikes had been taken to Heathrow and would be late them selves.

All credit to James Cargo I think they had to stump up extra costs for that.

Dealing with customs was a breeze, even when the form we had filled out with James Cargo for the temporary import was the wrong one, right answers, wrong form. Officer Bartlet gave us a new form and we had the required stamp.

That just left unpacking the bikes at the AA depot, apparently not the done thing but for a $20 tip the fork lift driver was happy to help out and dispose of the crate.

Then it was off into the heat :-)

Trip report to follow, it may mention we went to Sturgis :-)
Forgot tomention, still waiting for the bikes to come back by ship, left them in Newark on the 12th Sept. Rumour has it that they set sail on Friday.
__________________
--

http://www.ytc1.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Forgot tomention, still waiting for the bikes to come back by ship, left them in Newark on the 12th Sept. Rumour has it that they set sail on Friday.

I'm curious to know if your bike has made it back OK?
Doug.

Last edited by dougxr; 13 Jan 2008 at 21:39.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
James Cargo - anyone used them to ship bikes ? BruceP Trip Transport 16 30 Apr 2009 16:25
Half LWR and back michaeltharme Route Planning 0 17 Dec 2006 01:52

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events

 

Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!


Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:26.