Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kent england
Posts: 8
UK to US paperwork

Wonder if someone can clear this up for me
I am planning to fly my bike from the uk into Anchorage then drive down through canada back into the US and then on down till the money runs out.

As I will be entering the US twice in a short period of time I assume that a visa waiver will not do and I will have to apply for the full visa?
and is it correct that you need a return air ticket even if you are leaving the US by road!
I was following a previous threat on the subject but it sort of lost its way

Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 57
The visa thing continues (for us anyway!)

Hi Tony

As you are already aware there are loads of threads dealing with this subject but none that seem to have a definitive answer. Sue and I are flying into Anchorage in June and heading for Tierra del Fuego, we don't want to apply for a B2 tourist visa for two reasons 1) cost and expense of travelling down to London to get them, and 2) we need to get from Alaska through Canada and into Mexico within a couple of months so well within the 90 days allowed under the visa waiver programme. I rang the US Embassy in London the other day to get answers to the following questions, and this is what we were told:
Q1)Do we need a return ticket if we are exiting the US at a different point (Mexico), to point of entry?
A) Yes
Q2) What happens when we leave Alaska and travel through Canada and enter the US again (Montana) on our way South?
A) You can leave the US to visit bordering countries as many times as you like and re enter the US but the total time visiting those countries and the rest of your stay in the US should not exceed the length of your visa (90 days).
When you re enter the US from Canada you will be issued with an I-94 form which basically allows you the same travel rights as your initial VWP access, but most importantly when you leave through Mexico you must hand in the I-94 form to show you are leaving the country.
We will be buying return air tickets to Anchorage as they are cheaper than single fares (as far as I can see) and obviously ditching the return part. If I were you I would give the US Embassy a ring to confirm these details, Embassy of the U.S. London: Visa Services: Contact Info
Hope this has been of some use, like I said earlier I trawled through loads of posts on this subject but will, if we ever get to Mexico, post a HOW TO on the whole procedure. By the way if anyone is reading this and knows the steps required or has done it please reply. In closing, no ammount of browsing the HU or similar sites can replace self research, but it's a great way to idle away a few hours!!!

Ride Safe, as in life Stay Upright!

Graham and Sue
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kent england
Posts: 8

Thanks thats great!
Was going to give the embassy a ring this afternoon
We visited James Cargo this morning to discuss air freight
they have a good set up and very helpful
We will be arriving in Anchorage 13/14 June then off to Prudhoe bay
Might see you on the way down south somewhere
Looking at the threads here we are not going to be the only ones!
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009
Alexlebrit's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West London
Posts: 922
When I rang the embassy here in Paris I had exactly the same reply, yes you need a ticket to/from the US even if you'll actually be leaving by road and then flying out of a different country. They said it doesn't have to be a return ticket, it could be two singles for two different airports, but you should have a ticket to show how you intedn to leave. Seems daft to me, but there you go.

I've read of people getting a fully-refundable ticket for the return portion, using that to show for the Visa Waiver program and then getting a refund once they're in the country, and if that's a cheaper way of doing it it seems a good idea to me.
Happiness has 125 cc
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paperwork Grant Johnson Trip Paperwork 3 29 Dec 2010 17:04
Paperwork getting into EU Grant Lui Trip Paperwork 3 21 Mar 2007 10:18
US paperwork help needed? Blazeafar Trip Paperwork 1 19 Sep 2006 22:14
Paperwork SteveACE Europe 15 7 Apr 2006 20:20
Cost and paperwork??? imthadon South America 3 2 Nov 2004 07:12


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:06.