Registration/Insurance for bike purchased in Kazakh and riden thru Stans to Europe.
I'm about to purchase a moto in Kazakhstan for a trip through Kyrgyz, Uzbek...Afghan, Iran, Turkey...Germany but I'm facing a few hurdles (yeah, ok stop laughing all those saying "oh...really?")
I'm looking at a new XT660R - check out my post in Nth Asia for details + info about bike availability in Almaty/Bishkek if you're interested.
Can anyone help with the following:
1. Apparentley I cannot register the bike on a tourist visa but I can legally ride in Kazakhstan for 10 days as it's new. (I will have all paperwork from bike shop inc. title, customs clearance for Kaz etc). So I could ride out to Kyrgyz - will the situation be any better there? Maybe I could register it in Kyrgyz/Uzbek/other but could I get in? Advanced letters?
2. I've been told I can register in a Kazakh national's name and get a power-of-attorney letter from them authorising my use, but this sounds like a headache esp. at borders, police checks?
3. Can I get a form of "international registration" through an insurance company? Can I get insurance without rego? How do I get plates?
4. If I make it to Germany, will I be hit with more customs/taxes if I want to register/sell it there?
5. Can an international driver's licence be obtained in Almaty/Bishkek?
Thanks, and please stop laughing...