Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2011
Endurodude's Avatar
To the road less travelled . . .
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 317
Exhaust paperwork

I recently met a Swiss biker on my way home to the UK who had some paperwork authenticating that his exhaust was road legal. As I was stopped in Switzerland and quizzed about my exhaust (which is road legal) I thought this would be a useful item to carry when abroad. I emailed Scorpian (the maker of my exhaust can) but I've had no reply - happy to take my money, though!

I wondered if anyone in the UK knew if it is possible to get hold of such paperwork? It might just help smooth out some potentially difficult situations in the future!
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 261
Stamp or MOT?

Does the exhaust have a stamp on it, stating it's for road use? Otherwise wouldn't a current MOT certificate be enough for the foreign plod?

'Security is a product of one's own imagination, it does not exist in nature as a rule, life is either a daring adventure or nothing.'
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back home in the UK
Posts: 875
I have never heard of such a thing as it should be stamped on your exhaust that it is road legal.
If gaffer tape doesn't fix it then you haven't used enough tape
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2011
Endurodude's Avatar
To the road less travelled . . .
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 317
My bike's only 1 year old, so no MOT. It doesn't say anywhere on the end can 'for road use' (or not for road use, for that matter), it just has the following letters and numbers:

[e4] 2072
05 / 11

I'm assuming the bottom set is the manufacture date, and that the 'e4' is road use (as it's on my clear visor). I'm concerned, from the experience over the summer, that the national police of the country I'm in at the time might not realise what these numbers mean. Or are they standardised across countries? I just don't know, hence the question! I'd rather be safe than pay a fine . . .
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 1,226
The German speaking world operates a nasty variant of the MOT called TUV or it's Austrian/Swiss equivalent. This is the basis for the anti-tampering legislation the EU is trying to bring in Europe wide (OT, there is a Downing Street petition against this, please sign). Basically you can't modify your own bike exhaust even if you are the chief designer and noise control expert at the biggest bike exhaust maker in the world. There are only three options open to you:

1. Buy an exhaust that comes with a certificate from when the manufacturer jumped through their hoops. Buy anything from Hein Gericke and the efficient types that package it will send you the TUV certificate. Ask Scorpion for this, if they sell in Germany they have it.

2. Having made your exhaust, take the bike to a TUV test station, pay the fees and jump through the beauracratic hoops until they write you the equivalent of a Single Vehicle Approval certificate.

3. Emigrate to somewhere where you don't need written permission rubber stamped in triplicate from a government department to pass gas through a tube.

For a visitor there is one final option. Tell plod to **** off. Switzerland is a signatory to the UN charter. A visiting UK bike only has to meet UK legal requirements. Your road legal exhaust is legal in Switzerland and you don't need any additional documents to prove it. (ditto towing a trailer in Spain and having a sidecar on the left in Austria). The UK doesn't MOT Swiss bikes, so the Swiss plod can't do UK bikes that would pass (if your bike would be an MOT failure you'd be in trouble just the same). They can turn you back at the border as "undesirable" but once you're in you're OK. Unfortunately, uniformed thugs with machine pistols don't often take kindly to such legal advice, so getting the TUV papers to sooth their sense of tidiness is probably easier.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paperwork for Canada and USA Hornet600 Trip Paperwork 3 13 Mar 2011 06:07
Paperwork Grant Johnson Trip Paperwork 3 29 Dec 2010 17:04
UK to US paperwork GS Tone Trip Paperwork 3 29 Jan 2009 15:53
Paperwork getting into EU Grant Lui Trip Paperwork 3 21 Mar 2007 10:18
Paperwork SteveACE Europe 15 7 Apr 2006 20:20


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:34.