Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Nov 2005
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Japan, Okinawa, Torii Station
Posts: 1
Emission tests on US bikes brought to Japan

Is there anyway to avoid having to pay $2000 to have my bike modded to meet Japanese emission requirements? Its a brand new 2005 Yamaha YZF-R1 thats inspected and registered in Texas. Can I get a waiver??
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2005
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nagano, Japan
Posts: 799
I would assume that if it can pass US emissions regulations, it can pass Japanese. You will probably need to have it inspected, though (Japan-registered bikes have an inpsection every 2 years, though not usually for emissions).
Contact your local Land Transport Department (rikuun-kyoku) for details. There are many 'reverse-imports' on the road, and I don't think everyone pays $2000 extra (don't know who quoted you that figure) for them.
Japan touring information
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2
Bringing 2006 Suzuki Gsxr 1000 to Japan from America

I will be stationed in Yokosuka and I want to bring a 2006 Suzuki Gsxr 1000 to Japan from America how much and where in mainland Japan can I get the emmision test done. Also will a 2006 gsxr-1000 fromamerica pass the japan emissions
Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2006
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by gsxr-1000
I will be stationed in Yokosuka and I want to bring a 2006 Suzuki Gsxr 1000 to Japan from America how much and where in mainland Japan can I get the emmision test done. Also will a 2006 gsxr-1000 fromamerica pass the japan emissions
Your military supervisor (commanding officer? Sorry, I'm not up on my military lingo) should have the answers to this, and the Yokusuka website should also explain it. I would find it very hard to believe they would say okay, bring your bike over, and then you find you can't register it. So, if you can bring it, you shouldn't have any problem.

You will deal with the Yokohama Land Transportation Office. The Yokosuka guys have staff that deal with the LTO so that you don't have to deal with the Japanese directly.

How do I know all this? I was at Yokosuka by invitation by a friend who is stationed there, and I saw plenty of large sportbikes on the base with Japanese license plates. So, it must be pretty easy.

Good luck.
Better to be an idiot than a crook.
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2006
klaus's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toon City, Ehime-ken, Japan
Posts: 260
Getting motorcycle registered in Japan

Hi there you folks!

Just read the threads concerning motorcycle registration in Japan! Maybe I can help you. Just send me an e-mail. I have a friend with the US Forces over here who is BIIIG into bikes, brought her bike over here, too - so she definitely knows what to do! Don't want to publish her mail adress here, however!

27 November:

OK - here you go, just check out this homepage and it should explain everything


Got it from the friend of mine who is stationed in Aomori. Hope it will be of help!
Klaus D. Orth
A German in Japan
1992 Honda TA

Last edited by klaus; 27 Nov 2006 at 00:00.
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2
How To Register An Imported Motorcycle (251 Cc-up)

1. Obtain motorcycle driver’s license (temporary on base only license) at CFAY Safety’s Licensing Office. If you are E4 and below (or civilian equivalent), you must have an approved request form (CFAY 4651/1 or CFAY 5800/50A signed by your CO and the CFAY Security Officer.

2. Obtain Customs Form (380EJ) from FISC personal property office (telephone # 243-8320 or 243-7062).

- If the motorcycle was manufactured after July 1999, you have to obtain a Certificate of Conformity to Technical Standards of the brake system from the manufacturer of the motorcycle.

- If the motorcycle was manufacturer after April 2001, you have to get an emission test in Tokyo (Cost is approx 100,000 yen). Contact JATA (telephone # 0425-44-1004) to obtain an application form. After completing step #4 (below) take the motorcycle to the inspection place identified by JATA.

3. Obtain Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) for 25 months or more and a minimum of 6 months of Liability Insurance.

4. Take Form 380EJ and insurances to Yokosuka City Hall (1st floor) to obtain a temporary license plate (cost is 750 yen). Then go to VRO if you need a temporary base pass.

5. Have the motorcycle inspected by the NEX garage.

6. Go to VRO and obtain registration paperwork.

7. Go to Yokohama LTO with the motorcycle and paperwork to register motorcycle with Japanese Government (cost is approx 5,300 yen).

8. Go to Yokosuka City Hall to return temporary license place (1st floor) and to register your motorcycle for Road Tax (2nd Floor).

9. Go back to VRO and complete registration (obtain base decals).

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

  • South Africa: Nov 13-16
  • Thailand: Jan 9-11, 2015
  • NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12
  • NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16
  • Germany: May 14-17
  • Canada Ontario: Jun 18-21
  • Ireland: June 26-28
  • Colorado: July 17-19 TBC
  • Canada West: Aug 20-23
  • USA California: Sep 24-27
  • Aus Queensland: Sep 24-27
  • USA North Carolina: Oct 8-11
  • Aus Perth: Oct 9-11
  • Germany: Oct 22-25

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Circle to Circle by Brian and Shirley Rix.

Circle to Circle - a journey through the Americas and beyond. by Shirley Hardy-Rix and Brian Rix

"Well written, funny and informative."
"Thoroughly entertaining!"
Available NOW from the authors' website!

Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:44.