Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 May 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sharm El sheikh, Egypt
Posts: 5
carnet de passage / POA

Hi All,

My mate and I will soon be going through Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Belarus, Russia and Ukrain by bike.

Here is my question, I have my CdP, and the licence of the bike as well as the ownership is under my name.

For my partner, it is slightly more complicated...The bike is under the name of someone else, and he got a Power of attorney for the bike. Will he be able to get a CdP? will it not be a problem to cross borders?

thanks for your appreciated help!

Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,560
What's his nationality, and the owner of the bike? If the same, that's a help.

This situation CAN be a big problem - I'd never recommend it, but it can be done with patience and ... sometimes a little grease.

First task is to get the carnet - it has to be from his and the bikes home country. So talk to your carnet issuer and tell them all the details and work it out there to start. Once oyu have all the paperwork in order, with multiple copies and lots of official stamps on the power of attorney which clearly states what he can do with the bike, preferably translated by an embassy to the languages of the countries you'll be in and stamped by them, go for it.
(e.g. if you're going to Iran, have an Iranian Embassy translate it and give you an official embassy stamp on it)

You may well get away with less, but the above should be all you need.
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sharm El sheikh, Egypt
Posts: 5
the situation is as follow :

He is a british citizen with residency and work permit in Egypt, the bike is registered in Egypt, and the owner of the bike is an egyptian citizen.

I will call the egyptian automobile Club anyway! thanks for your help!


Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 1,583
I´ll probably get corrected soon, if I´m wrong, and that´s possible, too - but I think none of those countries that you mentioned (Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Belarus, Russia and Ukrain) require the carnet as mandatory. I do have personal experience entering Turkey, Bulgaria & Romania without it.

Do note the difference between ALLOWING to use the carnet as a temporary import permit (instead of a country´s own version of that paper - and several countries on that trip may well allow you to do that), or DEMANDING the carnet for entry.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carnet de passage Fred23 sub-Saharan Africa 11 1 Apr 2008 09:48
Carnet de Passage schiedamwillem Southern Asia 2 14 Mar 2008 23:40
Carnet de passage albert wildgen South America 12 26 Oct 2007 17:00
carnet de passage johnlou Trip Paperwork 1 8 Oct 2003 03:42
carnet de passage frederic Trip Paperwork 2 21 Jul 2000 04:32


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:11.