Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2002
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 6
Buying bike in foreign country

My friend and I are planning to buy our bikes in Santiago, Chile and ride them to Rio de Janeiro. What kind of paperwork are we going to need to get through the borders without any hassel. I really appreciate any advise you can give. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2002
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,567
Basically you need proof of ownership and the registration document that has the bikes serial numbers and licence plate number on it.

Of course you need a motorcycle drivers licence, an international drivers licence is recommended, and a passport.

that should do it!

Have a good browse through these pages and use "search" to get the fastest answers.

Have a great trip! and of course let us know how you go so others can share in the info.

Grant Johnson

Share the Dream!
at: www.HorizonsUnlimited.com
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2002
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 917
Eddie might come under closer scrutiny by customs officers than usual, because he lives in one country, has bought his bike in a second country, and is planning to enter a third country.

To a customs official, Eddie would appear to have more reason than normal to sell his bike in the third country, because he did not go to the trouble of shipping the vehicle from his country of residence. Thus, the customs dudes might want some assurance that he will export the bike from the 3rd country - and this leads us down the path to Carnets, which we all know and love.

He could make the situation look less unusual by having an address in the 2nd country, where the bike is purchased and registered, and having a driver's licence from the 2nd country. At least this would make it look like he has some residential ties there, and is likely to return to the 2nd country with the motorcycle.
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2002
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Almeria, Andalucia
Posts: 185
I bought a bike in Brazil (Oct 2002) and travelled through Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and Paraguay without a carnet - it was never mentioned once.

I *did* need proof of residency in Brazil to get the registration documents. All I needed for that was to get a friend to make me the named person on his domestic water bill... with that I could get a CEP (taxpayers number) and the rest was plain sailing ;-)

Yes it took a while to get all the paperwork, but then border crossings were quick and cheap and no hassle at all.

---I'm back. Now what?---
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2002
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Stewart(S-Central) Minnesota USA
Posts: 115
I did the same thing you are planning. Bought a bike in Santiago and traveld Argnetina, Bolivia, Peru. I'm from USA. Never a problem at borders. You need a RUT (equivilent of USA Social Security Number) and then you can register bike in your name. Customs guys at borders didn't question anything. They were professional and helpful.
Give me a shout and I'll give you phone number of a guy who will help you through getting the RUT and other paperwork.
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2007
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 148

any tips for doing this sort of thing in europe? i'm a canadian "planning" a trip from europe to iran this fall. my budget is tight. i'd like to pick up a cheap bike, insure and register it and make some miles! i have contacts in croatia, which might help, might not (regarding purchase of bike, registration, etc...) i'm told that i can get a carnet from the canadian automobile assotiation even when purchasing abroad. help?

Jeremy Kroeker. Writer. Wanderer.
Jeremy Kroeker
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:26.