Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Wales, U.K
Posts: 6
Biking Great Ocean Road in Oz - How do I get insurance cover?

Hi -

Can someone please advise me.
I have been invited to motorbike Australia's "Great Ocean Road" between Adelaide and Melobourne and then on to Tasmania with one of my cousins. He has a Suzuki Katana ready for me to ride but I am confused as to how to get insurance cover.

Please advise.


Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bribie Island Australia
Posts: 576
There are two distinct insurance schemes for motor vehicles in Oz.

When a vehicle is registered it will automatically have the compulsory third party injury insurance which will cover you (under most circumstances), passengers and anyone you may injure for medical treatment and long term treatment. The owner of the vehicle is responsible for making sure its registered and has third party insurance. If you are at fault in an accident due to an illegal activity you may not be eligible for compensation - eg drugs, alcohol, theft of vehicle.

Second scheme is for insuring the vehicle for any damage it may do to other peoples property (third party property insurance) and/or damage to the vehicle as well (fully comprehensive insurance). This is not compulsory and has to be bought by the vehicle owner, listing age of drivers/riders. There are dozens of insurance companies that sell this insurance.
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 16
Sorry I can't help with the original question, but does the compulsory third party insurance (the one you need before you register the vehicle) cover damage to another persons vehicle, or just the person? Say you rear-end someone and only have CTP, does it cover the repair costs of their vehicle, or just their injuries, if any?

Thanks and regards,


- sorry found the answer to my question. Compulsory third party insurance only covers the other riders/drivers injuries. To cover their property (car, bike or property) you will need third party property insurance.

Last edited by davel1001; 16 Aug 2011 at 14:57. Reason: Found the answer
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2011
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK and Australia
Posts: 92
The compulsory 3rd party insurance covers only 3rd party personnal, not property. The owner of the bike has 3 options:

1. taking out no other insurance and running the risk
2. taking out 3rd party property insurance to cover other peoples property in the event of an accident
3. taking out comprehensive insurance to cover other peoples property and own bike for accident, theft, fire

All 3 usually cover any rider provided they are licenced whether named on the policy or not, though the excess may vary depending on the riders age and experience and whether they are named on the policy. It's not usually like the UK for example where only named riders are covered. One or two overseas based insurance companies are the exception though. Best to check the policy document to make sure.
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2011
gixxer.rob's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Melb
Posts: 292
Save your money for the speeding fines you will get down here in the in land of the fun police
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great Ocean Road - Places to stay? Henry_Morton_Stanley Australia / New Zealand 4 23 May 2011 07:56
Insurance in the UK to cover whole trip? tobyb 4WD Overland TRAVEL 2 9 Feb 2010 22:10
Australia - Great Ocean Road MAZZA Travellers Seeking Travellers 3 4 Dec 2006 12:09
Riding buddies for Great Ocean Rd MAZZA Australia / New Zealand 6 26 Nov 2006 07:14
general insurance cover mareestu Trip Paperwork 3 5 Dec 2004 22:26


Renedian Adventures

HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:53.