Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 24
Bike Insurance In Uk For Non-resident

I've bought a bike in the UK ( I'm still in Oz) for a trip to the Middle East and need to get insurance for it in the UK. The insurance companies that have got back to me have said that as a non-permanent resident, they won't insure my bike.

The V5 form will be in my name with a UK address.

Can someone give me advice or a company that will do the job.

I have a Aussie bike licence and an international licence ( for all they're worth!).
Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne / Oz
Posts: 184
You say on the V5 form you use a UK-address (friend's address?). Can you not just use this address for your insurance paper?

The licence may be a problem. Many insurance companies just insure for EU licences.
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth West Australia
Posts: 138
I had the same problem although have been given quote

I've had the same problem, however I managed to get a quote from Maria Alessie in Holland for the seven weeks Im there. Not cheap by any means. The total cost is getting quite high, Im considering hiring a bike instead.

Im taking my australian registered bike across to europe on Australian licence. I have UK licence as well but doesnt make any difference as they normally want you to be permanent resident. If the worst comes to the worst you can get green card insurance for about 50 euros a month.
Do a search for green card in this forum.

What you could do is apply for UK licence. Get someone in UK to get you the forms from the post office. All you do is complete the thing with UK address £44 I think it costs and 2-3 weeks later your sorted with UK bike UK licence!
Perth to Peru 2014 | Perth to Perth 2012
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 24
Bike Insurance in UK for non-resident

Managed to get it online from one of the major bike insurance companies. I had a UK address and they accepted a 'international licence'.

thanks for you comments
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 3,370
Question Half a story

Originally Posted by xpag6259 View Post
Managed to get it online from one of the major bike insurance companies.

OK, I'll ask the obvious question: which company?
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Hi all

Could some one out there please help me with information about obtaining bike insurance in the UK ?

I am planning to buy a bike in the UK for touring the Uk over 6 or 8 weeks in late April.

I have been making enquiries with a number of insurers and brokers in the UK but have been getting conflicting information about insurance being available to non-Uk residents.

I have an Australian licence (and will also obtain an international one). I will be able to provide a local residential/contact address for the duration of my stay.

Can some one PLEASE help me as the time for my trip is approaching fast and I started making enquiries about this issue some 4 months ago with so far no success.

Many thanks guys
Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2008
Moderated Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Any info?

I'm in the same situation. US resident bought UK bike,have UK address,non-resident.Has anyone got a solution?xpag didn't say which company he used.Anyone else resolve this?
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 24

G'day mznyc,
I bought a bike (1992 XJ900) on eBay in the UK which was sent to a freind's place who stored it. I was in Australia. I then contacted many insurance companies and tried to buy online. Bennets was the only one that allowed an 'international licence'. I gave the UK address where the bike located. They assumed that I was residing in the UK. It was really cheap; full comprehensive for 1200GBP for 87GBP. I think it was cheaper for me as I was 58yo. I used the address where I was staying and I had an international licence. The only problem was that I was not a resident.

We didn't get green cards, just bought insurance at the borders, easy and pretty cheap. The ferry ticket from UK to France worked as proof of insurance when entering Greece.

Once I had the insurance I could get the bike taxed. If I had have had an accident, I'm not sure what would have happened. Did 17,500km from UK to Damascus and back, not even a flat tyre! the trip's on (http://www.newbold-thebigride.blogspot.com) if you're interested.

The insurance was a means to have registration papers in a name which matched the passport to make border crossings easier. The bikes were disposable, we weren't trying to protect our investments. It was a risk we were prepared to take. Fortunately, nothing went wrong.
Irresponsible, perhaps.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, soon back to Oz
Posts: 5
I had a similar situation, although I was actually a resident.. The main problem is that they all want a UK licence.
Try "express insurance" Cheap Car Insurance UK, Van Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance,*Cheap Bike Insurance (might have to ring to get the quote with a non uk licence, but I ended up getting one that bypassed the need for UK..) Bonus is they cover 90 days of EU travel and breakdown cover. Just have to tell 'em when you're going.. Although they did screw me in that they didn't recognise my previous no claims bonus because "we're not allowed to recognise no claims outside the UK". Which is English speak for "we could, but we won't or can't be bothered".

Hope that helps someone. It's a major pain in the arse the UK's obsession with sticking the "must have a UK licence" casually throughout everything.

If you're staying in the UK: you can just swap over your licence.
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 3
Talking Insurance for non UK residents


I have a friend who how brought a motorbike but he is a non uk resident. Does anyone know of any UK insurance companies that will insure him while he is here?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance for Canada/US on UK licence, Canadian bike maysmor Trip Paperwork 4 29 Jan 2008 01:18
U.K Bike Insurance Cover Summer ONLY kentfallen Trip Paperwork 4 28 Jan 2008 21:21
Bike insurance question pecha72 Trip Paperwork 0 11 Jun 2007 14:37
Bike insurance for Asia /Middle East? llanelli Trip Paperwork 2 14 Oct 2003 04:23
Bike insurance in Morocco Chris Smith Trip Paperwork 3 22 Apr 2002 15:04


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53.