Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > All Miscellaneous questions > Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else

Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else This is an opportunity to ask any question, and post any notice you wish that doesn't fit into one of the other sections.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Provisional License???

Not sure where to put this question so posting it here.

Do i need a provisional motorbike license if I want to take my full bike license and bike theory test even if I have a full car license????

And if I do... does anyone know why???

It seems silly to me. Just another squeeze of the pocket by the greedy pigs!

Can anyone fill me in please?

Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010
Big Yellow Tractor's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 604
Lited this from our local Training School

"For all courses you will require a provisional UK Licence or a full UK licence with Category A provision"
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 366
I may be wrong, but I think this was introduced when the CBT test was made compulsory for car drivers wanting a bike licence?

Why is it silly?
Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: aberdeenshire scotland
Posts: 157
From what I can gather you do need to do the CBt before you can get the full motorcycle license, so you need a provisional. You will also need to do the theory test which has questions in it regarding motorcycles and not just road signs ect it even has some mechanical ones/control ones . You can do a 4/5 day course for the full license

With a CBT u can ride a 125cc on L plates within the Uk and also bigger bikes with sidecars. You can then sit the main test either on a 125 which means u can ride without L plates or on a bigger bike which means u can ride a bike bigger than 125cc.

I think car license allows you to ride mopeds 50cc if you got it before a certain date on L plates
Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: on the road
Posts: 89
Check if your car license has the A entitlement. If it doesn't you will have to send it off to the DVLA for this to be ammended.

Then you can do a CBT.

Then do theory and test.

And you have to redo the theory test even if you only just did it for the car.
Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by jimmyboris View Post
It seems silly to me. Just another squeeze of the pocket by the greedy pigs!
As other posters have said you need the A category on your license. This clears up all the confusion with car drivers thinking they can ride a 125 on L-plates, wheel on a stick sidecars etc.

Check your paper license has the A on it. The slacker training companies don't check. Turn up with a scratty bit of paper bought for ten shillings from a post office and your test will get cancelled and you'd no come back. Your trainer should check all the signatures and photographs but a lot skip it.

I'd agree with you on the pricing policy, but that's the civil service and government for you, they have the ultimate monopoly.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding on a provisional licence. Alexlebrit Trip Paperwork 3 26 Nov 2008 21:22
In oz with nz license(just) tumbleweed Australia / New Zealand 5 30 Jul 2008 21:10
16 yr old Brit with a provisional 50cc licence The Cameraman Europe 11 20 Dec 2006 12:51
Insurance and Provisional Licences on 125cc in Europe? ManxScamp Which Bike? 4 29 Mar 2004 14:59
International MC License Wes Peterson Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else 2 22 Jan 2002 08:43


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:59.