Seeking routing & timing suggestions from Santiago ==> Ushuaia
I'm in Santiago, Chile planning my route south. I want to arrive the latest in Ushuaia that I can without experiencing snow or ice in order to maximize my time trekking in the amazing Lake and Patagonia districts. I'm thinking this should be March 15th.
I posted awhile back here which gave me a great idea on what my route would be. I also posted about a the Cardenal Samore border crossing being closed for the next 15-30 days.
In any case here's my idea of a route. Would love your feedback and thoughts:
1) Santiago => Puco (I want to get down to the start of the lakes region ASAP). Check out Villarrica
2) |BORDER CROSSING (Chile => Argentina)| at Paso Mamuil Malal for Parque Lanin and check that sucker out
3) Stop at San Martin de los Andes
4) Stop at Villa Traful
5) Stop at Villa La Angostura
6) Stop at Cerro Catedral
7) Stop at Bariloche
8) Try to climb Tronador (what a wicked sounding mountain) on Chilean side)
9) |BORDER CROSSING (Argentina ==> Chile)| [If the Paso Cardenal Antonio Samoré is open] Cross for Chile
[If it's not open] Paso Futaleufu; (WAY FARTHER SOUTH than I wanted to cross)
11) Highway 7 in Chile until I run out of Chile
12) |BORDER CROSSING (Argentina ==> Chile)| for Paso Rio Mayer Ribera Norte or Paso Rio Mosco (not sure which one is better)
13) Hit up El Calafate, Perito Moreno Glacier
14) |BORDER CROSSING (Argentina ==> Chile)| for Torres del Paine National Park and do some hiking
15) Head for Punto Arenas
1) If I'm going to Buenos Aires afterwards, does it make sense to double back north along the same route; or go for route 3 along the coast of Argentina (which I've heard is incredibly boring).
2) What is really the latest I can arrive without having *any* fear of snow/ice in Ushuaia or the road north from there? I don't mind cold but snow and ice scare the living Jesus out of me.
Thanks so much in advance!
PS: If you happen to be interested in riding parts of this with me or want to meet up on the road south; would love to hear from you!
Hi I'm David; headed to South America via a Suzuki V-Strom 650.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Routing suggestions south of Bolivia: Ride Chile or Argentina until Mendoza/Santiago?||arooni||South America||5||10 Dec 2012 22:47|
|Seeking to buy motorcycle Santiago early November||marmoto||TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / Wanted||0||10 Aug 2012 21:43|
|Continuing my trip south from Medellin, Colombia ==> Ushuaia: Aug. 15 2012 to Nov/Dec||arooni||Travellers Seeking Travellers||2||26 Jul 2012 16:30|
|Santiago - Ushuaia march 2012||Braziwiwbiker||Travellers Seeking Travellers||1||30 Jan 2012 21:38|
|Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and back...or Santiago.||selecus||Route Planning||1||15 Jan 2012 03:47|