Originally Posted by roro
What is you opinion about making water drinkable?
For 30 years , I used Micropur(Katadyn) in my car's tank without any problem .
I used to re-fill my tank anywhere in africa (gas-station,camping,...)
But , some people told me that Micropur can only be used to KEEP water drinkable and that I have to used products with "chlore" to make water drinkable.
Thanks for your replies.
I think they mixed up things.
There excists two (actually three) types of Micropur.
- Forte, disinfect water, tanks and water mains and preserve drinking water for up to six months
- Classic, preserves water and prevents recontamination for a period of six months.
The silverbased Classic can be found easily from other brands too, think campingstores, caravaning, mobilehomes, yachting, etc.
Others use chlorine/chloride/chlore (?) to clean their water containers (flush plentyfull afterwards) and preserve their water with a few drops of chlorine. I can imagine it disinfects too but don't think it's healthy when used in to big quantities for a to long period.
Which brings us to the third type of Micropur.
- Antichlorine, Removes the taste of chlorine in water
Found a Link
and an other one
On the other side, if you used the Classic for 30years, it put things in perspective about water quality in Africa ! (and the thoughness of ones body).
bart & sophie
Last edited by Sophie-Bart; 3 Sep 2008 at 08:22.