Some notes about applying for a Russian visa in the UK. You have to fill in a FORM95 from this website, http://www.russianvisas.org/visa_download.htm
* Section 8, 'departments or organisations to be visited' can be left blank or 'not applicable'.
* Also section 14, 'index and name of tourist group' can also be 'not applicable'.
* For UK residents with NHS coverage then 'yes' can be selected for 'official medical protection plan purchased'. There's no need to submit a 'Card of Insurance'.
* The Embassy in London will not accept a photocopy of your passport. This can be a problem if you're already on the road, best to use some sort of registered post.
* Current fee is £30 which I was assured meant the visa would be processed within 8 working days, maximum.
I used the St. Petersburg Hostel, http://www.ryh.ru,
to order a visa invitation and accomodation voucher. It took my snail mail over a month to get to Russia. Svetlana faxed the invitation back the next day. If I was doing it all again I'd fax through my order rather than snail mail it. Also the Hostel has a garage, which I've been offered for storing the bike.
So now I need to sit back and hope that the Embassy get my passport back to me by the end of the month. Otherwise...