Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Ride Tales, Trip Reports and Stories > Ride Tales

Ride Tales An easy way to post your ride reports, whether it's a weekend ride or around the world. Please make the first words of the title WHERE the ride is. See the announcement in the forum for details on posting. Please do NOT just post a link to your site. For a link, see Get a Link.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Nov 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Cooking and braaaaaping around the world

DAY 1!!
Last night a group of very close friends and family met in Blackhawk for a going away party. To say the least we did not sleep much, I got around 4hrs of shut eye. I got a late start with lots of good byes. Ran into some gnarly weather, snow, hail, rain all coming down sideways, the wind was blowing me around a little. My new Gore-tex riding gear worked AWESOME!!!!! Thank you KLIM and SUNSPORTS for the rad gear. Although I found out my old riding boots was shot, after riding with soaken wet frozen feet I swung into a moto shop picked up a pair of waterproof Gaerne boots and a few other parts. I grabbed a quick bite of dinner and rode into the dark trying to kill off a hundred or so miles of straight Utah highway. As I crossed into Utah there was just an incredible feeling of that everything was right and was well worth selling everything and leaving everytHing behind to ride into the unknown.
I have cold so I grabbed a cheap hotel room for the night hot shower and bed. I will wake up early tomorrow and bust a move straight through to LA to see my bro and nephew for the night. The adventure of a lifetime has started and I cannot stop laughing!

Home Page
When in doubt THROTTLE OUT!

Last edited by SBSRTW; 6 Nov 2011 at 04:57.
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 139
YEE - HAAA !!!
Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Day 2-
Woke up at 6:15am got out of Green River by 7am. As I was climbing up my first summit I was freezing, couldn’t feel my neck or hands. Had to stop to grab my face mask and get some feelings back in hands. Luckly I did stop I had my back pack fall off and was hanging from the bike. Sun came out and was nice and warm until I hit 30miles outside of Saint George and it became ot get grey and cold as shit. Right as I hit snow I stopped at a Rest Area and grab all my clothes and layered up. I felt like the Mechielen Man but was v ery warm. Everyone looked at me crazy as I passed them on the highway. I was making good time I started to get very tired ( I cannot drink Coffee anymore.). I was out of it and needed to stop I went to pull off highway and flew down the VERY SHORT OFF RAMP, my feet were on the highway bar so no gears or brakes. Finally relized it and got my feet down hit the brakes dropped gear too late, So I hit the gas and shot through the stop sign and back up the on ramp. I stopped on the side for a quick rest and then back on the road.
I made it to Las Vegas and stopped at Ceasar but it sucked so kept going down the road. I headed down the road about 15 miles found a hotel / casino stopped to see how much but was too much stayed for 5 minutes and won 80 bucks off roulette. Free hotel room for the night. I jumped on the bike kicked forward off of the center stand, although I dint relizer that the kickstand was down. So the bike came down onto the kick stand which kicked me to the right, foot sleep and slowly over 30 seconds the bike went down with me fighting it all the way. Luckly a guy saw this and came over and helped me lift the heavy bike bnack up.. I got a hotel another 10 miles down the way right on the border of California and Nevada. I played a few games and some slots ended up going down 80 bucks, then one last bet brought me back to even including free room. Went to be by 9pm exausted.

Day 3-
I slept in a little, went out to the bike to try and figure out if I needed to change the jets. After a little while of messing with it and taking to jason while he looked up a bunch of stuff online for me we decided that the guy I bought it from never chagned it from sea level so I left it. I went right from there and headed full thottle down the 15 toward LA. I came flying up on traffic all red lights over a hill had my feet on the highway bars and had no time to hit the brakes luckly nobody was in the next two lanes and I was able to swing past all ofhte traffic and hit the brakes. I got to Dales around 4:30 he got home a little past 5 we changed and headed to pick up Tate. We headed out to dinner to watch the Bears vs. Eagles while Tate did homework and named all of the QBs for each team.

Day 4-
I woke up and said goodbye to Tate and Dale at 5am, laid around for about 45 minutes getting my stuff ready. I ran around Santa Monica getting cash, gas, oil, and a few other nicnacs. I took the 10, to the 405, to the 5, passing through San Diego and stopping at a target about 2o miles before Tecate/ border. I was so nervouse and exciting getting to the border, so so scared but at the same time so ready for this. I came to the border they were checking all of the cars before me and then just waved me through. I stopped and asked where I could get permits and tourist visa. Was told I either had to go to Tiajuana or to Mexicalli. I remembered reading something online saying I could import my bike in La Paz at the ferruy and so I hoped I could do everything there.
I pinned it over to Ensinada which was pretty staright forward lots and lots of stop signs… sixty to zeero real qucik every 500 metters.. I pulled into Ensenada at around 1:30 lucky I stopped at an Information booth and asked where Money exhange was. Luckly I did because she asked if I had received my travel visa and had my Passport stamped. I told her I had not, she said I lucked out I could get it done right up the road, last place to do it in Baja, (that could have been a eal headache).
I went got my passport stamoped and a visa as well as found out that I could import bike in LA PLAZ at ferry. I headed out around 2:30 rode hard and found out why everyone says that mexico is a pretty crazy place to drive one the road. Nobody cares if it’s a passing dotted, single solid, double solid line, or a blind turn . They just pass everyone , lots and lots of close calls crazy fast and risky driving. I was told never to ride at night, I passed though Tomas and kept it pinned even though I saw that sun was driopping quick. I came across about 10 miles of construction where they were working on the road so they had made a dirt, rockyy, muddy, and narrow road where we all bounced down it while passing cars.
I pulled into town and a cop flipped around and followed me till he turned back around looking for someone speeding. I was hoping to camp but couldn’t find a place. I stopped at grocery store garabbed tuna, musatard, nread, and one .I headed out of town looking for camiping but it was getting dark very quick.;I turned around and saw a motel gated. I pulled in and the owner was a younger dirtbiker who spoke english. He told me had 20 dollar rooms, I asked him about camoing he said I could through a tent up in his driveway. Before I could say he then offered a 10 dollar beat up room with two beds and hot shower. Took it right away I need a goodnight sleep pretty beat up from riding staight the past 3 days. I will get on my way as soon as I wake to make good head way tomorrow and will be at todo santos for the wedding Thursday afternoon,.
Day 5-
Today I woke up well rested and very centereed and happy. I got on the bike and started making great time I road for about 2 hrs and found a great little bus that was selling Huervo and steak with fresh Totillos. I had breakfast and got gas, and head up intot he mountains. I was flying up this mountain about 9 mile saway from town took a nice big right hadn turn straightened the bike up and then all hell broke loose… Well actually just the back broke free started sliding all over as if I was on ice… Got it under control and slowed down looked down and had my first of many FLATS…back tire!! I had never changed one solo so I was very happy that my dear friend Tree had sat down a did a tutorial with me about a week ago with an old rim and tire.
I pushed the bike across the road to a flatish dirt patch off of the highway 1. I kicked the bike onto the center stand and threw my bags on the handle bars thus bringing ht eback tire off of the ground. I had to kick my wrench to break the bolt free then was able to slip the axle off. The Disc brake setup came of easily then I roled the tire forward and was ablke to roll the chain off. I place the tire on the ground and got to work with the tire irons, when I got the tube out there wasn’t small hole to patch up.. it had blown a hole biger then a poolball out, I had ran over a huge staple that was still in the tire. All said and done it took me over an hour to get a new tube on and get it back on the bike. Hardest part was getting the tire off the rim and raplacing the Disc setup back on. I then put air back in but figured out that I had bought the wrong size CO2 but was able to put small cardboard at the bottom to make it fit. Although after I got about 20psi the pump broke. So I started to put the luggage back on, as I was getting ready a BMW GS1200 past me heading South. At this point I had gained a lot of knowledge of my bike but had lost about 2hrs total of riding time.
I was making good headway when I came upon a sign saying no servcices 240k I had already road 80 miles so I didn’t think I would make it with out more gas or having to use my back up. So I saw a man selling gas by the jugs, I got 4 liters and was on my way. I passed a tire place saw there was other bikers so stopped to see if they had tubes, they did not. I was asked by one of the bikers who was on a nice Ducati if I had a correct wrench for his axtle he too had a flat, I did not.
I kept going nowhere to stop[, that’s when I relized I was not going to make it before dark, started to get a little worried. I pulled into town about 5 minutes till dark I passed a gast station in looking for hotel. Found it and it was closed, the next one was another 40k up the way. I luckily saw that BMW again and waved him down. He was looking for a hotel too, we decided to ride together through the dark and find a place to sleep. About 5k out of town I ran out of gas (bonehead move) was too worried about finding a place to stay. I put my reserve gas in the tank from my rack and headed on my way with my new friend. Got to the next town grabbed gas and tried to find a hotel but they were all $70 plus bucks. We headed out of town to the next town Guerrero Negro. We finally found a place for 30bucks so we split it and got our gear off the bikes and went and had dinner. I know it is bad to ride at not in Mexico but sometimes you have no choice.. Due to flat tire I was put in a bind.

Day 6-
Got a lttle bit of a late start due to waiting for a moto shop to open so I could get a new tube, finally did (expensive!!!) I road hard all day holding at about 80-85mph unfourtantly I have one deadline for the next two years and that’s to be in Todo Santos on Friday for a wedding. I road for about 9.5hrs stopping for gas, lunch, and a quick stretch/ Pics. I passed through Cludad Insurgants around 4:10pm Kept going watching the sun dropping, once I made it to Cludad Consitucion at 4:40pm I had a choice to make. Do I sleep there or keep heading south and hope what I read about hotel at Santa Rita. I chose the wrong one, I kept going and to my dismay no hotel there or in the next couple of towns. I had 90k to make it and it was getting to be dusk. 30 minutes into the ride it was dark I jumped behind two cars and follow them the rest of the way to La Paz. I made it with out any problems other than swearing at myself for pushing it and getting caught in the dark again this time my fault no excuses. I got into town went to first hotle… full!! Second they had room but was kind of expense, after a little haggling I got him down to enough I could afford with free secure parking and internet. Nice cheap tacoa nd place around the corner. I will wake up early tomorrow and make my way to Todo Santos for the wedding.. haha pushing it close buit if all goes well I will be with great friends and beaches tomorrow.

Day 7-
I woke up around 6:30 rady for action packed my bike , got a car moved so I could squezee out. I jumped across the street to the gas station. I got 80 pesos of gas and had my money all together, wen tot pay with a 200 and he turned around hten back around with a 20 in his hands. Saying I hadn’t gave him enough have a sleep I gave him more and when I left I relize he had just scammed me I had given him a 2100 …well played scammed me for 16 bucks…I took me 2.5 hours to get to Todo Santos for the wedding from Laz Paz, took over 1.5 hrs to stop getting loss and get on the right road and hten less then an hour to get here.. I finally made it didn’t know where to go but knew Mary and Allisons friend owned a surf camp so I stopped talked with him checked my email and found out everything I needed to know. Pulled up right before 11 and hung rand into all of my friends with and tequilla heading for the beach. Quickly threw my gear in Dans place and met them at the beach for fast. Hung out on the beach till 2 eating tacos and drinking s. We got ready and headed to the surf Colonel for the wedding. Beautiful wedding
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
For the past few days Day8-11 I was relaxing with friends at the wedding and on the beach, I left them this morning Day 12. I headed back to La Plaz to Ferry over to mainland tomorrow.
I was heading into La plaz from Todo Santos, about 10k from town on the highway. All of a sudden I hear Fletch! Hey Fletch! I look to my right and there is Bret a friend from seattle who I met down here on his dirtbikes. We pulled over he was on his way to get his wife who flew in. His buddy who he had drove down with him dirtbiking down had broken his ribs and had to fly home. He was able to give me a quart of oil for my bike for free which was awesome of him. Then we went on our ways. Thanks dude!!!!



Home Page
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Sorry been awhile I promise will get better at Forums.. still can't add a damn photo

DAY- 18
Woke up at Bills house where he let me camp, after fixing the bike we had victory tacos and s in town. I then went into town due to the time of day I decided to stay one more day in good old Sayulita. I got a cheap hostel with safe parking dropped all my gear and went for a test ride on the bike into pv for a few things from autozone and Walmart. She ran great a lot of power now felt great. I really think it must have been my spark plug. I met up with two other riders when I got back to the hostel a guy on a gs1200 from AZ and a guy Quinn from Montreal on a XR650. Quinn is sticking around waiting to meet up with his parents in pv for a week, and AZ and I are heading south Tomorrow together. We went out for way to many drinks and had a blast trading stories, saw Bill again he stopped by for a few mins.
Day- 17
I got all packed up started the bike moved it to the street, loaded her up said good bye to my new friends Deigo and Lulu and left. I made it about 1.5 blocks and she turned off. I messed with it for awhile and could only get her to run with the choke all the way on. I made it slowly into town and went to get coffee and internet. Did some research and also wrote my friend bill from Advrider.com an email. He came over to where I was parked with in 30mins. We messed with it for a bit and came to relize that it wasn't a quick easy fix. So we putted up to his house where I setup a tent in his yard through some pesos to his landlord for letting me stay and stripped my bike. He went to the the beach with his family and we will meet up to take apart the carb around 5ish once it starts to cool down. He has a nice clean Garage with good light to work in. No point to be bummed wouldn't do anby good, so I am going to go for a swim and get a taco and just laugh. There would be must worse places to be stuck in. hahaha Update soon fingers crossed


Woke up ready to leave, walked into town very hot and tried to get internet and coffee. Ordered Coffee and got the interenet Key, the coffee never c ame so I left with out paying just using the internet for 30 minutes. On the way back I stopped and had these amazing goat tacos that came from a goat stew, ****ing epic!!! Great Breakfast!!

I walked back to the camp and started to pack up got everything packed sitting on the ground started taking down the tent. Stopped walked over to my new friends Lulu and Deigo (he rides a ktm 300 rad guy very interest in my trip and generous to help ). Asked them if it would be just as busy today as it will be tomorrow, due to being end of the holiday. They said it would be, but the way I am going should not be a problem. So I quickly changed my mind and resetup my tent and threw my gear into it. Paid for another night and went for a swim. Ate awesome goat stew tacos that were on point! And cheap! Then ended up drinking to much with my new friends on the beach.

DAY 15-
Day- 15


Woke up around 6:30 and slowly started to get ready. We didn’t get back to the taco joint for breakfast till 9am, and the breakfast was awesome as well, deep friend chips, covered in queso and Feta, scrambled eggs, Beans, and fresh HOT torillas-(Ranchero). We heded out of town like Bandits, ****ing flying passing cars as if we were running liter bikes, so much fun and beautiful. From the beach up into a mountain pass and then blasting back onto the beach. So much fun we rode hard and then bam damn ol traffic. (It’s a holiday this weekend so everyones on the coast) We past most until we hit a town and was stuck in hot dead moving traffic, he tried to take us on short cut but ended up bouncing down a sidewalk and slamming into/ over a little wall. We busted back out of town and headed making good time. He jumped around a bus in town which didn’t make the bus driver happy so he swerved trying to swipe him, and then he missed a biker but just a few inches at an intersection. We stopped at a gas staion filled up made plan if we get seperated by traffic we would meet in Sayulita. I got to Sayulita a little behind him and he was no where to be found made a few laps and could not find him. Stopped walked around thought I saw him ran back to the bike jumped on and chased after. Nope nobdy on a bike, went back to the highway got on and started heading toward PV, about 10k down the road wasn’t really feeling it and wanted just to relax no need to push down the coast if I do have to. So I headed back to Sayulita looked some more and gave up got an expensive camp spot (90 pesos) (8 bucks)-again holiday weekend and it was packed. I just ate 2 delicious tacos and will walk back to camp. I hope I will ride again with my friend, very fun to ride with.. Oh well shit happens.
I got an message on Advrider.com that a guy Bill from Steam Boat lives here In sayulita and wanted to meet up if I came through. So I wrote him that I was there and was down to meet up. He told me 9:30 at the center of town under gazabo. I thought I had missed him and waited till about 9:45 and he showed up smiling. We sat and drank two s each in the center, which he bought for us (very rad). Awesome to talk to another adventure rider who had ridden in Mexico, he gave me a lot of awesome tips and heads up. I learned a lot from him from the police to the food, what to do if pulled over what not, what to eat what not. Was a very friendly guy and very willling and wanting to help. I kinda of cut it short due to having to pee again in 5 minutes from drinking a lot all day. Got back to my tent by way of awesome pork tacos which was slow cooked like gyros. Then I promptly passed out cold.

DAY 14-


Was all over the place last night trying to get comfy while sleeping in a movie theater type chair, finally ended up on the ground which worked great and saved me 50bucks. I was up around 5:30 watched the sunrise on the ocean with no land mass in view, just a couple of Sailboats. We had parked the bikes on the bottom level so we were the last to go to the lower decks ot move our bikes/ cars other than truckers. We finally got to go to our bikes I was praying mine didn’t fall over or else it would of smashed into the side of a Mustang hahaha. I packed up my bike as quickly as I could trying to get out of there before headache began from everyones exhaust just running waiting in line to get up ramp and out of boat. I got myself out relatively quickly and waited for my new friend (still can’t remember his name poland.

We headed right out of town , it was getting to be a hot day we didn’t really start riding away from ferry till almost noon. We stopped a couple of times for water, more then I usually do but it was nice to ride with someone else. He rode like a racer in and out of cars passing fast and constantly which I enjoy so we chased each other down the Pacific coast taking the 15 not toll road. We arrived at San Blas around 4 and very hungery and thirsty. We tried to ask a couple of people where to eat and all locals kept sending us to McDonalds.. no thanks. We finally chose a place to eat which turned out to be AWESOME!! I ate a lot, I had a Marlin Burrito, and three Carneasada Tacos and washed it down with two s. It was 100 pesos each with tip, 8 bucks and I was full for the night. We headed toward Stoners Surf Camp, $4 camping, we hung out with 3 German kids, one Mexican guy who was working, and two Mexican Girls . We ended up drinking a lot of s, the table was covered in empties and my flask was out of Tequila so I went to bed.
DAY 13- FERRY!!!!!
I woke up talked with a nice English girl for awhile about our trips we were on. I moved my bike to the front entrance and packed her up. I got directions and headed to the ferry port early around 9:30 (my ferry wasn’t until 6pm but I had lot to do). I got there and got my Permit for my bike with little trouble had to get extra copies made and then $444.00 later I was done, although $400 was a deposit that I will get back when I leave Mexico with the Bike intact. I met two other bikers one from England on a 1200GS BMW and a lady from Austalia on a KTM 640 enduro. Very nice, they both were doing there own spin of a RTW on there bikes in for the long haul. He had flown in and headed to AK then zigzagged through Canada and then finished by hitting every state in the US. Very nice people. After I had received my ticket and permit (ticket was 1700 peso- for bike and myself), I headed back to La Plaz. I headed through Centro and got lost found a Yamaha shop looking for Chain Lube. They were out but did have oil so I grabbed another quart, the mechanic tried to give me instructions to shop for lube but to no good. So he gave up grabbed his helmet and with a smile on his face went for a spin and showed me first hand where the shop was. It was out we just laughed and tried the next, they were out too. After they were done making fun of me for riding an Ugly KLR, he got his mechanic to give me a bottle and let me spray my chain for free. My new friend who had shown me the way headed out.

I headed back toward the Center after getting lost for a second I figured it out with help of gas and directions. I parked my bike and headed toward my new favorite taco stand for a coke and 4 fish/ shrimp tacos for 5 bucks. After this I went and sat on a stage near the street people watched and relaxed in the shade. I then headed down the street stopped in a popular Icecream shack and had a delicious banana Ice Cream cone. Headed back to the bike jumped on and headed out of town back toward the ferry. I stopped about 100 yards from the entrance of the check point to get out my ticket and permit. I did it again… had the bike on center stand and left the kick stand down, so when the bike came off the center stand it hit the kick stand and wooops there I go. The bike was to heavy for my right leg and I slowly let it down to the ground. I tried to pick it up three times (I could of if I had no choice but it would of hurt a lot!!). Instead I looked up at a guy who was watching me and hitch hiking, looked at him as he stared and waved his ass over to help me out. With a little fight we were able to wrestle the bike up . I crossed the permit check point with ease. I stopped and started talking to a very nice guy who was new a little english. We talked for a while then moved over to the shade. He had 6 kids and lived in Mexico City and once a month made runs over to Baja taking packages from Mexico City to Baja. He then let me follow him over to the line up where we hung out and waited till we were called to load. After he left I was hanging out with funny Mexicans who didn’t speak English and my shitty Spanish we spoke with our hands and actions very funny. Right before I loaded up a guy riding a 08 KLR650 rolled up and was like your from Colorado me too. Well then I realized he saw my Colorado Freeskier.com sticker from the front.

Nice guy we hung out for another 5 mins before we were waved onto the boat, we went down a few levels and found a nice place to park. He new the deal setup the right way and strapped his bike down. I was sent to the wrong place and didn’t have a great place to strap it down and was on bad angle. So I just found a pole leaned it against ans strapped it to the pole then strapped it to the floor.. (Fingers crossed hope it makes it the night or else it will be in the side of a Mustang). We were tieing the bikes up when all of a sudden he walked over in a daze and blood was flowing from his head. He had smashed his head on the the stairs tieing his bike down. He was fine but was bleeding pretty good. That’s when I found that Nazil spray slows the bleeding quickly. I found a safe seat to keep all my crap in, he joined after shower. We had a bunch of and a free dinner (included). Talked a lot about where our planned routes were, and how this trip hadn’t seemed real up until now. He is a lawyer and Motorcycle racer from Denver. Good night now!!!.
DAY 12
Lots of goodbyes yesterday to Dan and friends. Last night just hungout with Jason for the last time in a year or so. I will def miss that man, a very close friend. I then said goodbye today after changing the oil filter. I then drove back out to Mary's house to get my camera which I left. I got on the highway and headed toward La Plaz. I was heading out and had to get through a Military Check Point, they were waving everyone through. I stopped at the gaurd, he asked if I was an American I said yes and he told me I had to pull over and get checked.. hahaha. I did and the next guy asked me what I head in my left Mannier I told him clothes and camping gear, he waved me through.
I was heading into La plaz from Todo Santos, about 10k from town on the highway. All of a sudden I hear Fletch! Hey Fletch! I look to my right and there is Bret a friend from seattle who I met down here on his dirtbikes. We pulled over he was on his way to get his wife who flew in. His buddy who had driven down with him had broken his ribs and had to fly home. He was able to give me a quart of oil for my bike and wouldn't take any money, which was awesome of him. Then we went on our way. I recieved my first gas dontaion today on Paypal which was awesome and amazing.
DAY 9-11
After a nice relaxing morning we packed up and head out to find where Jason V. was staying. We rode toward Todo Santos and right before arriving we headed left down a dirt road for about one klik. He was staying in hios own personal compound, very nice and on the beach. We just relaxed and unwound from the wedding and for me the long drive staright full throttle from Crested Butte, CO. We ate good food and drank good . Nothing crazy happened except jason turned his rental Nissan into a rally car and scared the crap out of Dan many times very very funny. We must of hit a water hole in the dirt road down 70mph.. SO SO FUNNY!!! He loved the Ebrake on everyturn. Woke up one mornign after heavy rain and wind and found my bike had sunk into the wet gravel and fell into trees breaking the windshield in half, ducktape and where ready to go.
DAY 7-9
Day 7-

I woke up around 6:30 ready for action packed my bike , got a car moved so I could squezee out. I jumped across the street to the gas station. I got 80 pesos of gas and had my money all together, wen tot pay with a 200 and he turned around hten back around with a 20 in his hands. Saying I hadn’t gave him enough have a sleep I gave him more and when I left I relized he had just scammed me I had given him a 200 …well played scammed me for 16 bucks…It took me 2.5 hours to get to Todo Santos for the wedding from Laz Paz, took over 1.5 hrs to stop getting loss and get on the right road and then less then an hour to get here.. I finally made it didn’t know where to go but knew Mary and Allisons friend owned a surf camp so I stopped talked with him checked my email and found out everything I needed to know. Pulled up right before 11 and ran into all of my friends with and tequilla heading for the beach. Quickly threw my gear in Dans place and met them at the beach for fast. Hung out on the beach till 2 eating tacos and drinking s. We got ready and headed to the surf Colonel for the wedding. Beautiful wedding.
Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
catch up.... then pictures

Was pretty slow getting going this morning, Finally got out of there around 9ish As we were leaving the hostel we had to get our bikes from the back which meant we had to drop down this little dirt alley to the main road. I got out last and headed down the dirt and a ****ing Jeep started heading up not stopping so I started sliding right toward her last second hit the gas and peel around her stil don’t know how my bags didn’t swipe the side of her car. We headed toward PV and I returned some stuff too Auto Zone. Half way through town my foot peg gave and swung down only on one bolt. I rode like that through PV got to the other side stopped at a gasstation and asked a cop where a hardware store was. We were litteraly right next it, so the old one had stripped out bad. So the plan was to grab a standard size one and rethread it into it. No luck small one was just a little to small and the larger one was too big. I was going to need a bead put on it or…….. I grabbed the smaller one and shoved it in then wrapped the ****er in duck tape so now It acts like a safety pin. I will get it welded when I get to andreas house. We swept up the road going from beach up into the mountains had lunch which was goat stew (awesome). David is a fast fun guy to ride with. I thought I was going to run out of gas which was fine have reserve then I have more reserve. Bike did great getting over 40mpg. We pulled into Barra De Navidad and decided to get a room and wake up early. We went split a 26 dollar room and headed in to town for and food. It was okay nothing special. Skyped and phoned a lot of people. Now we wake up 630 and ride…

DAY 20-
11/24/2011 TURKEY DAY
We had been warned that we were heading into sketchy area, Slept outside of the first sketchy town. Woke up early this morning and started crushing some miles. We had to pass around one city and the toll road was 109 peso’s 9 bucks!!!! The road was amazing super twisty for miles and miles like over 150miles of twisties hard sharp fast twisties. We rode around 400ish miles. We saw some of the most amazing sights. There were many animals in the roads, roosters, lizards (big), Dead Bull , dogs (dead and alive), and lots and lots of Butterflies. We stopped and ate a pretty big flavorless lunch/ breakfast. Then just kept crushing miles trying to get through, although we didn’t feel it to be sketchy or bad, just beatiful and peaceful. LOTS AND LOTS OF SPEEDBUMPS!! I went flying then skidding through a military check point they were not impressed, hahaha. We were holding around 75mph slowed down real quiick when we came upon construction road was on it for a while then finally it opened up to a nice road we started going again then every bridge had super big lips on the and off the bridge so you were gapping onto then and dropping off of them. I was following David when we came onto another long bridge we were moving pretty quickly, then with out warning the road/ bridge just dropped off we gapped down a few feet landed onto a small dirt hill then the road had collapsed on either side down into a pretty deep gully other hten than lane that shot across we barely made it onto it and luckly no cars coming or else it would have been all bad. We each almost got hit a couple of times by cars, they don’t really look for motorcycles or cars for the matter they just hit the gas and go. They pass a lot on blind hills and turns, very scary to come around a blind turn or hill and there is a car in ur lane heading your way. We finally made it to our destination last Night Z------ outside of Acopoco and slept for the night. We hiked around got lost and then a 8 year old took us down the street to find delicous tacos we were so hungry and they were so good we each had 9 little tacos for our thanksgiving dinner with rice milk. We then made it back to our hotel and skyped our families to say HAPPY TURKEY DAY…

Day 21-
Today we woke up and got riding very quickly, we wanted to get to and through Acopoco by 2pm. We started laying tracks as David says, we were whipping through the turns and straight aways.. I did it again I blasted past cops all day but nobody cared. We just rode hard today head down and ripped. We were on the road David rode up asking if I wanted to stop, yup rubbed the belly wanted food. He pointed backwards which I didn’t see and I pointed forward and pinned it. We found a little town 5mins away, pulled in. Found a place to eat and just ordered whatever they were serving, which was Pollo (chicken leg) with a deep brown spicy sauce, rice, tortillas, and veggies. Perfect we hung out ate and relaxed. We got on the road again, making miles pulling into Acopoco I new it was going to be busy and stressful. I hate cities and traffic and it was both to the max. THANK YOU JASON VERNON!!! Davids GPS was no good in cities wrong maps, the GPS Jason gave me for my Bday was the best!! There were no signs at all just followed the GPS through a sea of Blue and White VW Bugs. Walking speed traffic up hill, bikes are getting hot, were just dripping in sweat, and constantly getting cut off or pushed to the side. Finally we started getting out of traffic and then every 10 meters there were huge speed bumps, if we hit one we hit three hundred of them today. We finally got back in the open space no traffic flying, and I come up on a bus. I am stuck behind it for 5 mins finally see some room to make a pass as I pull out the bus does a Nascar move and slams the bus into the left lane right out in front of me cutting me off almost taking out my front tire, like with in a half an inch or less. Then he did his pass and I was able to pass him and the slower truck in front of him.I know every single person in that bus smashed their heades when he swung out… hahaha.. Today was the first day I finally felt comfortable on the bike me and the bike were flying all day slaying the turns hard. We found an okay town to stop and stay at. Hotel was kind of expesive for such a crap hole. Beds were foam on top of cement slabs, no hot water, shower drain didn’t work just flooded the bathroom, but still was only $12 each. We went in search of food, and found my favorite. Looks like Gyro meat spinning on open flame and they just cut a little bit off at a time with a bit of Pineapple, called Taco Pastor- AWESOME!!! We both had 10 small tacos each and two s for 5 bucks each!! So awesome!!!!

DAY 22-
We woke up this morning could not find a bank, David loaned me 500 pesos for the day. We got gas and started laying tracks hard. We were nailing the turns all day throwing down, chasing each other, past a couple of cops who could careless. We went through a military check point, at first he was waving us to pull over, when neither one of us did he just waved us on. We got lost pretty quick in one town you can’t trust any of the road signs. We have been on mexico 200 but every sign that points off of it to a different town is Mexico 200 too. We followed one sign to Puerto Escondido instead of going to Centro and ended up on a dirt gnarly road that dead ended. I busted out the GPS and got us on the right road again. We hit so many Speed bumps over 200 hundred easly today. Right before lunch I was following David and he hit one no signs going 70mph wamwam… We stopped and a nice lady made us lunch four awesome tacos and a coke each, 69 pesos for both of us!! We started going and again lots of speed bumps, finally started to clear up straight clean road. All of a sudden “crap!” speed bump in the shade to late pin it!!! Wamwam 70mph that hurt, sorry bike. We cruised pretty fast dropping KM’s all the way. We got to Puerto Escondido very quickly pulled into the main beach area, pulled back out onto the road to many people not that awesome. We headed out oftown by 1 km, dropped back into another beach where the waves were huge and pumping. We rode through the town stopped to figure out where to stay, we were right in front of a cool hostel. Yup that will work 80 pesos a night I am in. We are hanging out here for the night and I wil meet up with Andrea and kye Tomorrow and stay with them. I needed cash and Internet so we jumped on the bikes and headed into town I was leading we came upon a transit cop ( I have been told not to look at them and just plain dumb gringo and ride by). Well he shot his wistle at me I thought he wanted me to pull over for speeding so I just kept going straight he was waving at me and walking toward me I just kept going. David got stuck with him in the road I thought for sure he just got a ticket and had to pay him off, I waited and waited nothing so I went to the bank. David pulled up right as I parked, Ticket? Nope he just wanted us to go out another exit… oooops.. haha no harm no foul. We then went out to dinner, I am on a tight budget Davids not. I was looking for cheap tacos, He finally was like lets go get grilled whole snapper, my treat it has been a blast riding with you the past couple of days… I fought it for a while, wasn’t going to win okay…It was an awesome dinner they just grab a fesh snapper throw it on the grill and send it out with Potatoes, salsa, and Tortilla’s. Thanks again David!!! Went back to the hostel had a few s and played pool. Really cool hostel Mark and Louis started it about a year ago, they are both from Mexico City, Mark lived in Italy for 6 years.
DAY 23-
We woke up, I was planning on going to Andria’s house tonight to sleep and stay but the hostel has been nice to meet new people and is cheap ($6) a night.. I then finally got in contact with Andria and she road down on her moped with her son Kia. I sorry that sweet house and they showed me around to one of the surf breaks answered a bunch of questions. David had changed to a nicer hotel, so I got back to the hostel and was just chilling for awhile. All of a sudden I thought I heard my name “no”, then again “naw”, and then the Hostel owner Mark was like Fletch you have friends. I turned around and it was my Belguim Friends in there 4x4 van, I met them a week or two ago. They are driving from AK to South America, we started talking and what do you know they had just ran into my riding friend from Poland he was here who I had lost in Sayulita. I jumped into their van and we went and found him. HAHAHA.. That night we met up with a group of us for dinner, 7 guys riding motorcycles and a couple driving a van all heading toward South or Central America. I met a really cool group of friends Yullia from Germany, two really rad guys from Israel and a very nice Girl from Norway.. We had a few s and play Janga.
DAY 24-
Woke up today with a mission find a nice cheap place to learn spanish for a week or so. Nope $170-$220 for five days….I was bumbed I really didn’t want to spend that much, because I new there were full week classes, sleeping and they feed you for $100 a week in Guatemala. I was talking to Andria and of course she new someone who taught at one of the schools I looked at but would do it out of her house for cheaper. So after we talked for a while we decided on $80 bucks a week for 2hours a night, I start tomorrow. Andrea and I rode around town on my bike she was showing me all the spots, and we found a surf board I could use or one I ould rent right on the beach. I am meeting her and Kia tomorrow to go surfing around 4pm then onto spanish classes.
Went out for with an Argentina fellow who had nothing but awesome advice of where to go and what to do while in South America.
DAY -25
Woke up, went and had some coffee and internet. Walked around for awhile and heded back to the hostel. I ran into my friend/ owner Mark who asked if I wanted to go see his welding friend about my foot peg issue. We headed into Escondido Centro and got off the bikes and walked into an open style garage. Talked to the owner, Marks friend. I decided to say screw it and get both Footpeg bases welding to the fram and centerstand. I am used to seeing people use a torch style welder and lay beads. This guy used some type of electric clamps which held a piece of metal of type and layed a bead on my bike. Very solid, as we were standing there Mark starting telling me a story about the guy welding how he had fallen off a building and landing on a metal pole sticking straight up . The guy pulled up his shirt and had a gnarly scar from his stomach to his ribs. Suppesedly he landed on the metal on his thigh and it went up through his stoamch popped out under his rib cage. One in a million to be alive.. He only charged me 13 bucks to weld my bike, I was happy I never had to deal with it again..knock on wood so gave him a nice tip which he was very surpised by. Rode back to the hostel, made a sandwich and headed back to town to get a rash guard for surfing. Mark is letting me rent a surfboard from him for the week for less then 5 bucks a day compared to all the shops here which is 14 bucks a day.
I grabbed the surfboard and headed up the beach toward the “smaller waves” yeah right!!! After walking 30 minutes up the bach, saw the waves there were sets coming in 6-10+ feet tall. Seth would have been pumped.. I watched a guy who had been caught stealing a tourist bag run from the cops, instead of going into the woods he ran for the WATER..hahaha after 1.5 hours of circling this guy on a jetski they finally got him to the beach arrested him got the bag back and took him away.. I was waiting for Andrea and finally just went for it… Was having no luck just getting dragged out do to the Riptide. I was getting out when I saw my friend Martin from Argentina . We talked for awhile and then he took me out surfing. I tried to catch a few wave and did but got wrecked. I was about to catch another one that Martin was yelling to paddle right as I was dropping in he started yelling no no don’t go! WAIT WHAT!!!! I tried to not catch it and pulled off the wave got dragged a little but did it, but now I am in bad spot right where the rest of the waves will crash.. I then started paddling hard toward Martin a huge wve was about to crash on me so I did that sweet surfer dive move under the wave… Yeah right it grabbed me sucked me in, dragged me, flipped me around, and held me under felt like ever. I finally got to the surface gasping for air. I finally made it to the beach trying to still breath spitting out salt water. I sat on the beach for a second, Martins sitting on his board waving me back out… OKAY OKAY I can do this. I waited for the perfect timing, ran out jumped on the board and started paddling super fast…(really I am out of shape and am moving about as fast as a sloth). Waves starting heading my wave I get through one, then a second, and then a huge ones on its way. Okay I can do this, push board down and pop up, NOPE got swept again and pounded down the beach finally coming to surface to get pounded again. I crawl ontot he beach and just start laughing. The whole day I have just been smiling and laughing, I got my butt kicked all day but had the time of my life. As I am walking up the beach I saw a few girls from the hostel, one girl looked at me and was like “man looked heavy out there”. I looke at her laughed and said “yeah I suck, but was still fun”. Hooked back up with my friend and headed back to the hostel. Changed and ran to my spanish lesson, don’t know what was harder Spanish or trying to learn to surf in beg waves. Haha
I met back up with Martin for cheap dinner and a few s, we tried to go out and it was not happening. We went back to the hostel ate a quick Sandi and went to bed.


Woke up, Martin and I was going to surf at 9am.. I didn’t get out of bed till 9:30 I was exhausted, he didn’t get up till almost 11am. I went intot town and drank a little café and messed around on the internet. Went back to the hostel, met up with Martin found out the spot we wanted to go was flat so we headed back to Playa Puenta. We got there it was very small I was very excited, Martin was not impressed. He gave me a bunch of tips and we started to paddle out. I was exhaustewd still from ysterday, but gave it my best shot and wrecked a lot. It started getting big again, where over my head. I headed in found a nice little wave and wash (shallow but okay) Stood up for a sec and was happy. I still got a lot to work on before trying to catch any real wave I come to the conclusion. I need to work on Popping up onto the board in one motion, this is the smallest board I have ever tried to surf and it needs to be one motion not two or else you wreck a lot… haha
We headed back into town and I was exhausted. All day feeling like I should take a nap, but I just kept pushing it. I hadn’t stopped moving and doing things since getting here, we hard ridden very hard and long hrs to get here. I was exhausted and need to lay low, but I have a hard time doing that. So I ran around did errands and my homework, took a shower and headed to Class. Class was AWESOME today, we started to do boring stuff and then she asked me what I wanted to learn. I learned everything on how to meet people, converstations, border crossing stuff, how to converse with authority, slang, bad words, and we just laughed and had a and learned spanish for 2 hrs. I LOVE THIS CLASS.. HAHAHA
After class I headed back to the Hostel had a few Pineapple and Rum drinks . We headed out to a Salsa bar that was supposed to be very busy, I had my first shot of Mesquila it was coffe flavored one at that. Learned how they make it and that it was from this region.
Was very tired falling asleep and the bar and then I made my way back to the Hostel. Slept hard for a long long time.
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
DAY 27-
Had a hard time getting out of bed today, felt like crud all day. Did not go surfing or anything, just drank a lot of water and gatorade.. I have to get better at drinking water, I don’t and then I get dehydrated and feel like crud all day long. Today was a very mellow day. I got to class and again it was hilarious we just learned and laughed all class. If my college classes were this fun I probably would of graduated.. haha. I went back to the hostel skipped dinner and just passed out by 9pm.
Day 28-
Woke up refreshed and ready for a great day. I ran around in the Centro all day looking for a vocab book, but cannot find it anywhere. I saw Andrea for a little while and then headed back into town. I met up with Lious and Mark and went surfing with them for awhile. Didn’t have much luck again, although not as big just a lot of people. It was still a blast and a good work out. Did my spanish homework, played some pool and got a little dinner made. I headed up to class, stoppe dat the store to pick up some for us and went to class. Today was probably one of the funniest classes I have ever been envolved in, we just joked around and learned spanish for almost three hours. I was headed back to the hostel when I ran into my friend Martin from Argentina. He had just gotten back from a little surf trip down south and was headed into town, so I turned around and followed. I all of a sudden ran into three guys on motorcycles, I knew I knew one of the bikes it was a fellow I head met in Baja, one of the other guys was Patrick who I have been trying to meet up with for the whole trip. We talked for a while I showed them the hostel but they were looking for something more up scaled. I think they will be leaving today, must of the guys I have been running into are all about riding riding riding. I personally like to stop, meet people, and experience first hand where I am. Each to our own adventures. But I am truly having the time of my life, so many great new friends and experiences.

DAY 29-33
These past 4 days have been great!!! I went on a couple short surf trips, was doing spanish almost every night up until the 6th of December. My friend from Argentina came back from a surf trip in the South, we met back up for a few more nights of , cooking, and surfing.
I have made a family dinner a couple of times this week. I started off with fresh seared Ahi, Orange Buerre Blanc on the fish, Butter smashers, and Broccoli. Everyone was blown away, I was not thought I could of done a lot better but oh well next time. The next night we did Cheese burgers and Potato salad which were delicious, took them to a Medium don’t know if I can trust the ground beef here.. gotta find that out. I then cooked a big pasta dinner for us and have been making lots of breakfast tacos.
I have made good friends with the owners of the hostel Mark and Lious. I have been going surfing a lot with Mark and leanring from him, they took me on a little have day surf trip up north to our own secluded beach break. Which was awesome to learn on.
I was walking into the bar to grab some pineapple juice one morning to go with my Breakfast tacos and everything is very low in mexico. I caught my head on a plastic screw nail thing and ripped my head open a little. (pictures below) Cleaned it up and went to my last spanish class on Tuesday night… sad… I learned a lot and had a lot of fun in this class. As a thank you for such fun and cheap classes, I took her out to dinner after class. We went to her friends place over looking the beach, with awesome Cerviche and Tacos. Couldn’t have been a nicer person with two rad kids, one was 7 and an amazing surfer the kid rips…
I have been getting chewed alive by Mosquietos, started all of my Central and South America meds so I will be ready to leave in a few days.. My parts have been taking longer to get then expected so I am getting them shipped down to my Friend Ben Love and Dale Dagger Surf Hotel. I am just going to roll the dice fingers crossed that my tires have enough life to make it or another adventure with pervail.. hahaha.. I will be leaving here this weekend at some time, all my friends here want me to hangout until Christmas, but I am itching to get on the bike and ride into Gautemala..
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64

Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64














Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64










Last edited by SBSRTW; 20 Dec 2011 at 17:16.
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
catch up

DAY 37-40
I finished up my stay day 37-38, in Puerto Escondido and it was awesome. I had an amazing surf sesh on Monday night it was a lot of fun, small but everything started to click. Mark made amazing Fried Pollo Tacos, right after I slept I passed out cold on the dinner table so tired.. Finally woke up had a coca cola and was good for another hour, then went to sleep by midnight. Woke up early rana few errands, said good bye to a few good friends, went for one last surf with Mark at Playa La Punta. Ended up meeting up with Quinn from Canada on Tuesday the 13th he was on a 2003 xr 650, we had met in Sayulita. We met up around 1:30ish and started to ride. We rode for about 4hrs and went through a couple of towns that we were told were supposed to be amazing one was and was was pretty horrible…I was not feeling that great all day, but pushed through. So we rode till dusk and made it to Barra De La Cruz. A very relaxed small village where we slept in a cheap Cabana for the night.
We woke up and got a slow start, we rode half the day together. Stopped for lunch and had the worse tacos that I have ever had, to the point I was sure I was going to get sick from them we were ripping down the Mex 200 when I came up on a huge dump truck, all of a sudden a good amount of small white pebbles started to fall out on the road. Them hitting the road didn’t bother me, them bounces up at 70mph and hitting me sucked a little till I was able to get out of the twisties and pass him. We split up around 2pm he was headed east and I was headed southwest. Nice guy and nice to ride with, but I sure do enjoy riding solo. I pushed on and made it as close as I would want to sleep near the Border of Gautemala.. I am in a town called Huixtla, I will cross the border tomorrow morning and hopeful making it to or close to Antigua Tomorrow evening. I cannot wait to get into Gautemala, I hope the border crossing is smooth and I get my deposit back that I put down for my Mexican Motorcycle permit…. Pictures soon.. Night time..
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
First of many real border crossings

DAY 41-
I woke up pretty earlier today very anxious for my first true border crossing (Tecate, Mexico doesn’t really count) as I was going Solo. Got my bike packed up quicly and talked with the hotel owner while I strapped everything down a very nice guy. I got back onto the Mexico 200 and pushed South, as I pulled into Tapachula I saw two guys walking into the street trying to wave me down. I had been told there I guys that hang out in and near borders to try and help you through the process but want a lot of money. I knew I wasn’t at the border yet so I swung left around them and pinned it. I blasted through the city started making head way toward the border, I had typed in the wrong area for the gps, because I turned off of the Mex 200 and ended up in a little town sitting in the middle of a field in Guatemala by accident.. oooops.. I turned around headed back toward the 200 and finally got to the border. I was so nervous thought I might vomit, so excited and nervous about my first real border crossing. As I pulled in, tons of guys come running into the street making u have to either stop or gas it at them and make them move. I Stopped at first relized they just wanted to either exchange money or be my helper through the border. No Gracias was said a lot today. I made it to the border just to find out that where the guys were trying get me to stop in Tapachula, was exactly where I needed to go back to. I needed to cancel my Bike Permit and get my $400 Deposit back. So here we go I turn around and head back 20 miles of so, as I pull in I get to the side of the road and kick the stand down start to get off. My foot sleeps of the pavement and drops into the dirt which is 6inch below the pavement.. yup here I go for a third time dead stop fall over..hahaha The bike is laying at an angle I’m not going to be able to pick it up solo with all of the gear on it. All of a sudden a nice guy comes running over and helps me pick her up we just laugh and get her back up. I go into the office get all the paper work finish and canceled. I grab a quick breakfast/ lunch- Gatorade, powder donuts and little muffins. The heat is killing me at this point. I head back toward the border, filling up with gas on the way (luckly I did gas in Gautemala is 4 times the amount of Mexico. As I get back to the border this time no stopping just kept the gas ripping and only a few tried to step out and relized I wasn’t stopping so got out of my way.
I Get my stamp, but at first he doesn’t want to give it to me because supposedly I don’t have my tax receipt, finnaly he gives up and gives me my stamps. I then head to the next stop, do exchange my peso’s for Gautemalan money. As I get off I get bombarded by people trying to help this one group with one head guy my age won’t give up just follows me around telling me where to go and park and what to do. I started getting annoyed by them, They would try and help by grabbing my papers out of my hands and trying to show me the way I would grab them back “no Gracias” Finally I gave in and let them help me kind of. He was trying to get me to pay extra to the workers so it would go faster, but no point nobody was in line and it flew by. The guy was confusing me with all these other fees finally I got him to stop talking and talked to the Border cop myself relizing I was done expect for a bike check I went to grab my bike. There was 5 of them hanging around my bike when I went to grab it and the leader kept asking or demanding we will say for a tip for all of his help. I only gave him 14bucks (didn;’t want to but rather than argue in 100 degree weather in all my riding gear. He was not happy he wanted at least 30 more, and the kid he had “watch my bike” even though it was in paid safe parking, wanted cash to. I just kept telling them I was broke. I got on my bike and slammed out of the parking lot. I got to the wash station with both of them still following me asking for money. I got the bike washed and headed to the last check point with a cop. The head guy knew he wasn’t getting anymore cash from me so he left me alone, the other kid would not leave me alone. The cop did a quick once over and then told me I was good, the kid was sitting there telling me I still needed copies and to pay him. At that I looked at the cop asked if I could go to Gautemala now, he raised the get and Sped out of there as fast as I could.
Learned my lesson, ingore the people and push through no eye contact and don’t let them think they are helping. Haha I have many more borders to practice this at.. will see how it works out.. Although I did get done with the whole deal under an hour other than the driving back to cancel permits.
I was on my way, I road for another 200km, the road was just amazing and a lot of fun. Super smooth for the most part, very very twisties, lots of switch backs, climbing climbing up into the Gautemala mountains and the racing back down to the fields. I ran into a couple of locals on a bmw and they road with me for a while until they pulled off talked for awhile and then headed on there own way. I made it into Quetzaltenango (also known as Xela). Rad little city, of course I was looking for a hostel with safe parking and was lost for the better part of a half hour just laughing and cruzing. Finally found one who would let me put my bike inside of the hostel locked to a metal gate. I went grabbed a quick bite, but I am very tired and am excited to get on the road tomorrow and make it to Antigua. Today was an amazing day and learning experience.
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64

Hostel where I lived the past 2 weeks.

Hard Life I know

yup yup... Barra De La Cruz,, Made it before dark

Break time

Breaks and lunch OF CHAMPIONS



Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Suggestions please

Hola!!! I am new to this whole forum thing, and would love some advice. How can I make my postings better... Keep on writing long stories followed by pictures or should I post lots of pictures with short stories, ect ect... ??? Thanks Fletch

Home Page
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011
Tenere99's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
Wink real writing

Love the post man real writing keep it up! It reminds me of a writer called Poe Ballatine: Drifter, grafter , mover on the lower levels. I leave the cold grey depressing U.K (again) in a couple of months for Africa but this time I,m not coming back. Shit or bust!
Be lucky, Jim.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:04.