Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Northern Asia

Northern Asia Topics specific to Russia, Central Asia (also known as "the 'stans"), Mongolia, Japan and Korea
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Refreshing, funny, informative, thought provoking, honest, inspirational, infectious, budget overlanding. A handbook, a guidebook but ultimately a genuine traveller’s tale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 Jan 2010
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: north wales uk
Posts: 27
Rtw 2011

I'am planning a RTW april 2011-russia/mongolia/china/vladivostoc/alaska/usa and back home to wales- bike-gs1150- can anyone help me get started on my planning arrangements. regards richie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 Jan 2010
DLbiten's Avatar
HU California Meeting Organiser
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano is. USA
Posts: 443


Oh boy what a trip! Well no better place to start China loads of paper work there are a few post a bout it use the search in the upper right of the screen for them was told $10,000 usd a few years back.

Russia you will want a good long visa with a option to get in and out as you see fit most are just one in one out and that will not do for you.

Vladivostoc to Alaska think you will need to go to Japan or South Korea first. May as well rid around when you are there. Then you will need to ride threw Canada to get lower 48.

I have said it before unless you NEED to get in to overland in to China and it may be easer to gust fly in and rent or buy a bike there then ride it about sell it and fly out as with much of South East Asia. the money you save can be better spent in SE Asia or South America $10,000 will get a lot of riding that a guided trip in China gust will not. I do not like the Idea of a guide telling me where to go and what to see But I still want to go to China and ride some day they will open it up and I can go but $10k to look at the back of some one just dose not feel right to me.

Now the bike you will need good going threw like strip it down and rebuild it may as well paint it when you have a bits off it. You do not need to but will get to know the bike a bit. anything that can go wrong will so new brakes and lines and stuff like that. Get all the numbers you can and see they mach up and know where they are.

you will need to get in touch with the consulate of each country you are going to ride in and start there paper work get a new passport and then get the visas.

remember half the junk 2x the money and time of what you think.

And go to HU meeting http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/meetings/

You are in deep so this is the one you need to get to so register and pay now as in today this is the mother off all meeting you will have any and all of your questions answered by the people that have done what you are looking to do. AND tell you things that you have not even thought of. It is not far and will more than pay for it self on the trip.

UK Spring
, 24-27 June. Ripley, Derbyshire. Numbers limited. As usual, early birds are encouraged by a price break until end-December, so register here now! This is the Tenth Anniversary Event of HU Meetings, so be sure to be there, it's going to be amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3 Jan 2010
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: north wales uk
Posts: 27
Rtw-03/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLbiten View Post


Oh boy what a trip! Well no better place to start China loads of paper work there are a few post a bout it use the search in the upper right of the screen for them was told $10,000 usd a few years back.

Russia you will want a good long visa with a option to get in and out as you see fit most are just one in one out and that will not do for you.

Vladivostoc to Alaska think you will need to go to Japan or South Korea first. May as well rid around when you are there. Then you will need to ride threw Canada to get lower 48.
I have said it before unless you NEED to get in to overland in to China and it may be easer to gust fly in and rent or buy a bike there then ride it about sell it and fly out as with much of South East Asia. the money you save can be better spent in SE Asia or South America $10,000 will get a lot of riding that a guided trip in China gust will not. I do not like the Idea of a guide telling me where to go and what to see But I still want to go to China and ride some day they will open it up and I can go but $10k to look at the back of some one just dose not feel right to me.

Now the bike you will need good going threw like strip it down and rebuild it may as well paint it when you have a bits off it. You do not need to but will get to know the bike a bit. anything that can go wrong will so new brakes and lines and stuff like that. Get all the numbers you can and see they mach up and know where they are.

you will need to get in touch with the consulate of each country you are going to ride in and start there paper work get a new passport and then get the visas.

remember half the junk 2x the money and time of what you think.

And go to HU meeting http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/meetings/

You are in deep so this is the one you need to get to so register and pay now as in today this is the mother off all meeting you will have any and all of your questions answered by the people that have done what you are looking to do. AND tell you things that you have not even thought of. It is not far and will more than pay for it self on the trip.

UK Spring, 24-27 June. Ripley, Derbyshire. Numbers limited. As usual, early birds are encouraged by a price break until end-December, so register here now! This is the Tenth Anniversary Event of HU Meetings, so be sure to be there, it's going to be amazing!
thanks for the info i will certainly go to the meet in ripley and hopefully decide on my route.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3 Jan 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lochmaben, Scotland
Posts: 67
ditto

doing same as you, but on a goldwing and around the same time. forget china as just had a quote for 20 days for trip from mongolia to laos of $20,000 plus guides expences and fuel. but now looking to do Afganistan and all the stans b4 doing russia-Japan then AMERICA, north,central,south then To the australia/newzeland-laos,cambodia-India then south africaback up to scotland.. so the $20,000+ for china will complete the return from south africa back home... how does 4 years sound.

Oneworldbiker
spend it ass you can't take it with you.

P.s China will be done but only when I can go where I want and no guide
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 6 Jan 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vladivostok Russia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrichie View Post
I'am planning a RTW april 2011-russia/mongolia/china/vladivostoc/alaska/usa and back home to wales- bike-gs1150- can anyone help me get started on my planning arrangements. regards richie

can help you in vladivostok.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12 Jan 2010
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: north wales uk
Posts: 27
Rtw-03/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammut 25rus View Post
can help you in vladivostok.
Hi Mammut is it possible to fly the bike to Alaska, also do you think i could venture up to the "road of bones" envisage getting to Vlad approx june 2011
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12 Jan 2010
strimstrum's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alcester UK & Idilevo, Bulgaria
Posts: 334
Me and my pal Mark are leaving UK on 2nd April 2011 but we are going West to States and then up through Canada/Alaska - onward to Japan and then ferry to Vladivostock. Mark wants to do it this way to avoid the anticlimax of finishing the trip in the States and shipping home from there - he wants to ride back into europe and then home all the way on his bike instead of picking it up from a shipping agent.

Anyone that wants to ride with us is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24 Jan 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vladivostok Russia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrichie View Post
Hi Mammut is it possible to fly the bike to Alaska, also do you think i could venture up to the "road of bones" envisage getting to Vlad approx june 2011
Fly the bike to Alaska.... i don't think so. The best way is going from vladivostok to south korea or japan by ferry and then try to find any possibilityes to reach Alaska by plane or ship.

Now about "road of bones' (funny name ) . every year it has a big changes. my be after this winter it will be almost ok. i don't know. but don't belive about fears on this road. it's very interesting and you will have a big "bird"

June is not good season here. rains are often. august is more better!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22 Feb 2010
todderz's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newcastle / Harrogate
Posts: 179
Hi,

Did similar last year. See my blog and look at my other posts. Detailed info in one post about shipping out of Vlad, and loads of info about visas.

Any specific questions feel free to PM me. I have detailed route plans, visa schedules, GPS mapping, etc etc.

You have plenty of time, which is good. You'll need plenty of it to understand and sort out visa arrangements. Check out my previous posts cos I went through it all last year.

You're going to have the best time of your life!
__________________
RTW 2009 - Europe - Central Asia - Russia - Mongolia - Korea - Canada - USA

2010 - Near-fatal brain injury - hit by car while cycling

Scandinavia 2011 - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Finland - Estonia - Latvia - Poland

Asia 2011 - Vietnam - Cambodia - Laos - Thailand - Malaysia

http://rideroundtheworld.com
http://facebook.com/AliTheBiker

"A study shows drivers responsible for 87% of accidents with cyclists. Another shows drivers fail to see 22% of cyclists in clear view"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrichie View Post
do you think i could venture up to the "road of bones"
The Road of Bones (the English like this name, it's known as the Kolyma Highway in Russia) leads to/from Magadan which is far, far from Vladivostock.
Magadan is effectively at the end of a very long 'no through road'.
Our bikes were on a cargo ship for a week, while I took the 4 hour direct flight, between them.
If coming from the west, the final decision/split point is about 1,500 miles before Vlad or 2,500 miles from Magadan. There is no nearer road or track linking them, but there are some interesting alternatives from further west.

The main federal maintained Kolyma Highway is now perfectly good for any bike, even Gold Wings (enjoy, you will). A friend out there is organising it for a 1950s Cadillac Eldorado!
Much though depends on the weather.
Surfaces are fast and smooth gravel with a few stretches of pebbles and possibly mud. Many new concrete bridges. It can be done without any significant river or water crossings if using the more northern route via Ust-Nera and Artik and not taking the old direct road between Kubeme and Susuman.

But Magadan is a complete dead end with an airport that handles no international flights. The sea port has international cargo shipping but nothing as regular as a ferry.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at doing the Road of Bones in 2010/2011. andrewbmw Northern Asia 12 13 Mar 2011 01:02
RTW Summer 2011... EPIC bigalsmith101 Route Planning 2 28 Sep 2009 02:51
RTW trip March 2011 Buzzy Route Planning 1 7 Jul 2008 13:08

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.



Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:04.