Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Technical, Bike forums > Kawasaki

Kawasaki Kawasaki Tech Forum - For Questions specific and of interest to Kawasaki riders only. Questions comparing which bike is best etc go in the "Which Bike" forum.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28 Mar 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
KLE 500 "Rimfire" airbox modification

Hi there.

I have done the Rimfire airbox mod to my bike and was wondering if any one else has tried this and what results they had. Any other tips regarding this will be welcome. It is basicly just opening up the airbox more to get the bike to breath better.

Last edited by SPYE; 20 Mar 2011 at 05:58.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28 Mar 2010
Jake's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northumberland, uk
Posts: 724
have you had any reasonable results with this or has it caused flat spots extra noise or better power ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28 Mar 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 39
From what I understand between Australia & South Africa, you seem to have very similar "dusty" conditions when you head off-road?
I would be very interested to know if you do get off the bitumen often, just what difference this modification makes to the condition of your foam air filter. i still have a standard airbox and am amazed just how clean it stays regardless of the dusty conditions I subject my bike to. I'm just wondering what led you to the position of modifying the factory airbox design?
Has anybody actually run an airbox modified KLE up on a dyno to compare "real" improvements?
JQ
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 Mar 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure950 View Post
have you had any reasonable results with this or has it caused flat spots extra noise or better power ?
Hi

I am using the Rimfire mod in combination with a DNA filter. The results were very impressive. The bike is much more responsive and revs a lot quicker. No flat spots at all, even at WOT.

BTW. I'm using the '91 KLE 500 carb set-up on my 2007 KLE. That is larger 120 mains, differant needles and the larger snorkel. The KLE 500 tend to run rich at the top.

Worth a try.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 Mar 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquinnell View Post
From what I understand between Australia & South Africa, you seem to have very similar "dusty" conditions when you head off-road?
I would be very interested to know if you do get off the bitumen often, just what difference this modification makes to the condition of your foam air filter. i still have a standard airbox and am amazed just how clean it stays regardless of the dusty conditions I subject my bike to. I'm just wondering what led you to the position of modifying the factory airbox design?
Has anybody actually run an airbox modified KLE up on a dyno to compare "real" improvements?
JQ
I am using a larger snorkel (from the older '91 model) in combination with a DNA filter and jet/needle set up from the older "full power" KLE.

I recently did a 1000 km gravel trip in the Karoo region of SA and had a look at the air filter when I got back. It was surprisingly clean. Conditions where very hot and dusty. Probably similar conditions to your Outback over there.

I have not Dyno'd the bike yet. Don't have to. The bike feels a lot more responsive. Top end better and gets there a lot quicker. There are no flat spots. Fuel economy whilst commuting in city traffic is ave. 20 km/l.

Last edited by SPYE; 20 Mar 2011 at 05:58.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29 Mar 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 39
Thanks Shaun.
The set-up just looked to be too simple but you have obviously tried it and are impressed by the modification.
Cant wait to try it out myself. I'll just have to brush up on my German though to get through the instructions.
Cheers
JQ
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29 Mar 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquinnell View Post
Thanks Shaun.
The set-up just looked to be too simple but you have obviously tried it and are impressed by the modification.
Cant wait to try it out myself. I'll just have to brush up on my German though to get through the instructions.
Cheers
JQ
Hi

No problem. It's very simple. You just need to get hold of 16mm PVC pipe, thats the difficult part. The holes drilled in the one pipe are 10mm. They say it will work with the newer KLE with the smaller snorkel. The other two pipes are cut off at a 45 deg. angle.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 5 Apr 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rijeka (island Krk), Croatia
Posts: 63
Are there any improvements if you make this modification without changing the air filter?
tnx.
__________________
www.NMsite.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 5 Apr 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
Hi,

It runs a lot better with the DNA air filter. The DNA filter lets the bike "breathe" a lot better. I tried it with the stock filter and the "Rimfire" mod and did not rev as quick. Best results are with DNA filter. Air, air, air...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 5 Apr 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 27
Hi Spye

You note 20km/l after this mod. Is this up or down from what you noticed with a stock setup?

Thanks
Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYE View Post
Hi,

It runs a lot better with the DNA air filter. The DNA filter lets the bike "breathe" a lot better. I tried it with the stock filter and the "Rimfire" mod and did not rev as quick. Best results are with DNA filter. Air, air, air...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 6 Apr 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 39
Thought I'd check last week's fuel economy on my KLE which was a nice mix of commute/highway & twisty stuff & it averaged out to 23.55km/l. That' bog-stock and ridden sensibly. I wonder what these suggested mods would do to improving my economy?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 7 Apr 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 57
I did a mileage check last week - flat, flat, flat country, bog stock induction, bitumen surface, average speed 100kmh (Walgett to Gilgandra) 18.5km/litre with 17/43 gears = 5000rpm @ 100km/h (rear sprocket and chain were shagged though...)

Mate on a fully loaded 950SE Ersberg got 17.5km/litre at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 9 Apr 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyprier View Post
Hi Spye

You note 20km/l after this mod. Is this up or down from what you noticed with a stock setup?

Thanks
Tracy
Hi

This figure is slightly down on stock (2007) set-up. Remember I am using older ('91) carb set-up on my '07. Larger mains (112) and N96J needles. On a recent 200 km gravel road trip I was travelling max. 90 km/h due to the road surface and I was getting 21.7 km/l.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16 Jul 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
air box mod - air

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYE View Post
Hi there.

I have done the Rimfire airbox mod to my bike and was wondering if any one else has tried this and what results they had. Any other tips regarding this will be welcome. It is basicly just opening up the airbox more to get the bike to breath better.
Hi. i was reading about this mod for a week. i got the pvc pipe today and did the drilling/saw work. should have the pvc pipe, drill, and iron saw (dont need elictrical) to saw the pvc pipe. some epoxy glow can be useful.
took me about 2 hours.
i made a short test drive. it was very easy to see that rpm went down from 1100 to about 800 which is good news becuase as soon as i had a safe spot to stop i moved the adjstemt screw below the carb and raised it back to 1100 rpm. than, istantly it all felt a lot better. i get back better when slowing down in a curve and just much better response from throtle.
i think rpm raises a lot faster in the lower rpm.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19 Jul 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by orik7 View Post
Hi. i was reading about this mod for a week. i got the pvc pipe today and did the drilling/saw work. should have the pvc pipe, drill, and iron saw (dont need elictrical) to saw the pvc pipe. some epoxy glow can be useful.
took me about 2 hours.
i made a short test drive. it was very easy to see that rpm went down from 1100 to about 800 which is good news becuase as soon as i had a safe spot to stop i moved the adjstemt screw below the carb and raised it back to 1100 rpm. than, istantly it all felt a lot better. i get back better when slowing down in a curve and just much better response from throtle.
i think rpm raises a lot faster in the lower rpm.
Did you have to rejet?
Is your bike one of the recent models with the small airbox?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Motogreek", "Hunts" motorcycle rentals Mark96 Bike Swap or Rent 0 5 Jan 2010 03:40
"Algeria-Niger" or "Maro-Maure-Mali-Niger" dloubak Route Planning 4 6 Oct 2009 15:17
Ahem... Aussie Steve Here.. "My Bride to be, '95 KLR650 Needs a California Address" tenere_rider North America 3 8 Apr 2008 05:07
"Obsessions Die Hard" by Ed Culberson, signed edition Motorycling the Darien Gap! Solo Lobo TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted 1 13 Jan 2007 16:43
"Two Wheels to Adventure" 1st edition signed First ride from the artic to Argentina! Solo Lobo TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted 2 13 Jan 2007 16:42

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events

 

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.



Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:54.