Originally Posted by joshsnave
Will be travelling thru central am in december, budgeting for reasonably cheap bike. Wondering if there will be dramas if I don't get certain insurance? May be a requirement at particular borders?
here some information for Belize.
* Original paperwork that you were issued in Mexico for your Temporary Vehicle Import Permit. This is the backing to the sticker.
* Tourist Visa from Mexico
* Copy (maybe original, I used a REALLY nice copy) of your bike's title
* Either USD, Belize Dollars, or Mexican Pesos
1. Go to shack right before the last Mexico checkpoint poorly labeled "Migration", park infront of it
2. Cancel your tourist visa
3. Go straight ahead 50m (cross checkpoint) and take a left at the building poorly labeled Banjercito, park infront of it
4. Cancel permit. Show them the paperwork, then they'll ask you to remove the sticker and hand it to them
5. Enter Belice by crossing tollfree bridge
6. You can buy insurance (probably) or do it later in step 7. Just keep on the major road straight ahead. There is a casino, insurance places, and other random buildings. Don't worry. You're going the correct direction
7. The road Ys and stick to the right. Stop at the fumigation shack. Get sprayed for $1.50 US and buy mandatory insurance
8. Continue ahead 50-100m and stop at building before Belize checkpoint. Park in parking lot or right infront of checkpoint
9. Get passport stamp (visa is on stamp)
10. Watch customs guy fill out vehicle form. Make sure it is correct
11. Check VIN with customs guy, KEEP paperwork to turn into your exit border __________________
All the way south
-- Texas to Tierra del Fuego
...and if you come to San Ignacio, Cayo come around and i will show you some nice