Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Technical, Bike forums > BMW Tech

BMW Tech BMW Tech Forum - For Questions specific and of interest to BMW riders only. Questions comparing which bike is best etc go in the "Which Bike" forum.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

7 Litre Camel Tank Lets You Explore More, Click to Find out More!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Unhappy 1999 F650 Troubles

A friend of mine recently fell into a bit of bad luck with his 1999 F650. He was in Whitehorse NWT. when his engine overheat light came on, So he let it cool down, started it again and ran a little further, light came on again, so he let it cool down again and then started it up and got it to the nearset town. He said it lacked power and all he knows is the compression of the engine he is claiming is 60 psi.
As I work on my Harley he asked if I would look at his bike. I'm unfamiliar with BMW's Rotax engine, but with patience and a manual, I'm confident we can figure it out.
The bike has just over 70,000 kms on it and up until that point had performed flawlessly.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27 Aug 2007
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
I'm no BMW expert but if he didn't check the coolant level , I'll hazard a guess .
Sounds like a partial seizure due to lack of coolant/oil/overheating .
A rebore and new coolant pump and/or seals sounds in order .
Check the valves as well .


Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Itchy View Post
A friend of mine recently fell into a bit of bad luck with his 1999 F650. He was in Whitehorse NWT. when his engine overheat light came on, So he let it cool down, started it again and ran a little further, light came on again, so he let it cool down again and then started it up and got it to the nearset town. He said it lacked power and all he knows is the compression of the engine he is claiming is 60 psi.
As I work on my Harley he asked if I would look at his bike. I'm unfamiliar with BMW's Rotax engine, but with patience and a manual, I'm confident we can figure it out.
The bike has just over 70,000 kms on it and up until that point had performed flawlessly.
Any ideas?
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27 Aug 2007
DLbiten's Avatar
HU California Meeting Organiser
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano is. USA
Posts: 443
dam the luck

or it may be the carbs that F has 2 of them
or oil over filled
or bad coolent pump (older F650 have pumps with poor impellers in them)
broken fan or just no power to it
bad, burned out powe regulater or Rectifier (the black box under the seat) if it gets really hot thay burn out and do all maner of odd things. moving it from under the seat to any place on the bike with some are flow will felp save the new one.
last thing you want to do is take it to a BMW shop.

look up the chain gang web page
The Chain Gang

Thay will know what is wrong and how to fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 Aug 2007
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cairo
Posts: 187
Sounds like the classic Rotax issue most owners encounter - faulty head gasket. Head gasket and regulator replacement is an almost standard repair for Rotax engines of that era. If it hasn't been replaced in the past, then that's probably the problem. Look for oil in the radiator (but not just the overflow bottle) or water in the oil as an easy indicator, but even if there's none it is still likely the head gasket. Hope I'm wrong. Good Luck.

Brett
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks for the ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettUAE View Post
Sounds like the classic Rotax issue most owners encounter - faulty head gasket. Head gasket and regulator replacement is an almost standard repair for Rotax engines of that era. If it hasn't been replaced in the past, then that's probably the problem. Look for oil in the radiator (but not just the overflow bottle) or water in the oil as an easy indicator, but even if there's none it is still likely the head gasket. Hope I'm wrong. Good Luck.

Brett
Thanks for the ideas so far, I guess the only real way to tell will be the teardown. I have a manual coming and the bike should be here this weekend, if all goes according to plan.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLbiten View Post
or it may be the carbs that F has 2 of them
or oil over filled
or bad coolent pump (older F650 have pumps with poor impellers in them)
broken fan or just no power to it
bad, burned out powe regulater or Rectifier (the black box under the seat) if it gets really hot thay burn out and do all maner of odd things. moving it from under the seat to any place on the bike with some are flow will felp save the new one.
last thing you want to do is take it to a BMW shop.

look up the chain gang web page
The Chain Gang

Thay will know what is wrong and how to fix it.
One thing about the net, seems to be something out there every time when you need info, I will check out The Chain Gang as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Is a rebore possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
I'm no BMW expert but if he didn't check the coolant level , I'll hazard a guess .
Sounds like a partial seizure due to lack of coolant/oil/overheating .
A rebore and new coolant pump and/or seals sounds in order .
Check the valves as well .
I imagine you're pretty close by the sound of it, although the BMW Dealer didn't seem to have any part numbers for pistons other than stock bore, this made me wonder if the cylinder is sleeved, or if you have to buy a new cylinder? On the Harley, (which I am more familiar with) the cylinder can be bored to .040 over, and pistons can be had to match. Anyway thanks for the input, it's nice to have ideas when you want to fix stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering a F650 Funduro Bossies BMW Tech 7 28 Oct 2007 11:08
1999 BMW F650 FS near Boston, USA wabulabantu TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / Wanted 1 3 Oct 2005 02:41
F650 Luggage for sale moroccantrip TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted 1 29 Apr 2004 22:40
BMW F650 vs Kawa KLR650 Gijs Which Bike? 3 2 Oct 2002 04:47
KLR650 vs F650 Kurt Which Bike? 2 10 Sep 2001 07:45

 
 


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:10.