Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Australia / New Zealand Topics specific to Australia and New Zealand only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2008
Nomadic1's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 119
how to get bike insurance in Aus on a UK licence?

Can anyone help?

Im here in Australia (Melbourne) for a fairly longterm business contract and im here on a 457 long-stay business visa. I've checked on the VicRoads website and it indicates that for those who are temporary residents that you're allowed to ride on your existing UK licence. You only need to convert to a Victoria licence if you intend on living permanently.

This said, I'm now struggling to find any insurance provider who'll cover me on a UK licence, with 3 years no claims, and advanced rider training.

Can anyone provide information, insurance providers and or assistance on how to proceed? Not having wheels is driving me f'ing crazy.


Visit my space here
See my photos here
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,366
1) Ring the RTA down there and find out what 'they' mean leagally by 'temporary' ... could be 3 months in the one location? Someone there will know.

2) You'll find the insurance is costly ... so much so that few, if any, take it out .. thus the insurance people don't offer a product no one buys. Not happy? Ring the Insurance Council of Australia (?) and ask them to recomend a few ..
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bribie Island Australia
Posts: 579
Its probably cheaper to sort out a Victorian licence, goto Overseas drivers - licences : VicRoads
which details what you need to do.

A UK licence is just a straight swap as far as I can tell, no tests at all, just pay your fees.

Insurance companies will accept proof of a no claims discount from the UK so you wont need to start at zero.
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 94
What kind of insurance are you after? They distinguish between 3rd party persons (required) and 3rd party party property and your own property (both optional).

UK to Australia 2007
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bribie Island Australia
Posts: 579
Ooops, I had nt read the bit about not having wheels.

The legal minimum insurance (3rd party injury) is paid at time of vehicle registration, it wont matter where you come from as it is community rated across all vehicles of a certain type.

As long as the vehicle is regsitered you are insured against injuring someone else, I'm not sure about if you injure yourself or you cause the accident in VIC - but your employer must cover all medical expenses whilst you have a 457 visa. You'd better check with them that their insurance will also cover motorcycle accidents.

If you want to insure yourself against other claims - third party property or comprehensive insurance (damage to your vehicle as well) has to be bought, Yellow Pages and lots of quotes.

As an aside, be careful not to get to comfy as the Labor Govt. vowed to cancel the 457 scheme as part of its pledges about removing the past goverment's industrial relations policies.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike insurance for South America Nuno Leotte South America 3 2 Dec 2006 07:56
Canadian Bike Insurance Dodger Trip Paperwork 0 24 Jul 2006 22:02
British Bike Insurance ve8nc Trip Paperwork 2 21 May 2004 05:05
Trouble getting Insurance for foreign bike in UK Dalbir Trip Paperwork 5 11 May 2004 03:42
bike licence for india pinkolive Trip Transport 4 13 Nov 2003 16:38


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28.