The Mini Compressor
By Kurt Wilde
I'd like to take the credit for this one, but actually I got the idea from an issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. However, before I got around to building it, I'd lost the issue and had to start from scratch.
The Mini Compressor is a small tire inflator that runs on the 12 volts available on any modern day motorcycle. What sets it apart from most products available is it's size. A typical automotive inflator is very bulky. There are some inflators available commercially for motorcycles, however, they are relatively expensive. Consider that the total cost of this project ran me $22.91. Compare this to the Cycle Pump advertised in the Rider Warehouse catalog for $77.00. Sure their pump looks better, but works the same.
- Compressor - Campbell Hausfeld RP1200 - US$9.96
- Box - Radio Shack 6X4X2 - US$4.99
- BMW Connector - BMW - US$7.96
- Disassemble the inflator. Everything but the compressor, hose and wires can be disposed of.
- Remove the switch and solder the wire directly to the motor.
- Modify the box to accept the air hose and wire. I used a 'hot knife' to cut a slot in the box.
- Drill some air holes in the box.
- Drill a couple of holes for wire ties. These will be used to hold the compressor in place.
- Fasten the compressor to the box with wire ties.
- Optional: Replace the cigarette lighter connector with one that works on the bike of your choice. I used a BMW-style connector since that will fit both my bikes. I also cut off most of the wire, leaving only enough to reach either tire. This makes packing it up easier.
How does it work?
Fantastic. Not only does it give the added security of having a reliable way to inflate a tire in case of a flat. It also makes it possible to keep tire pressures at their optimal levels. This of course increases tire life and contributes to rider safety. And all for less than twenty-five bucks!
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- NEW! Shanghai Mini: Mar 15
- Germany: May 29-June 1
- HUBB UK: June 19-22
- NEW! Canada Maritimes: July 4-6
- USA Colorado: July 11-13
- Ireland: July 18-20
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 14-16
Buy the Achievable Dream Collectors Set and get Road Heroes Part 1 Free!
Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Voting will commence soon for the 2015 HU Calendar winners!
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.