UK 2006: Sixth Annual HU Travellers Meeting
Ripley, Derbyshire, England, June 22-25, 2006
It's all over - you missed it!
We have so many presentations we couldn't fit them all in - and you said you wanted more of the same, so here it is - another whole day and evening, so come early and make it a great weekend.
Why Come to a Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Travellers Meeting?
You can meet people who don't think you're crazy for wanting to ride your bike to South America or Africa or across Asia, or even around the world! Admit it, all your 'normal' friends and most of your family fears for your sanity! So, this is your opportunity to meet the people who will encourage you in that craziness, share their experiences and advice on how to do it, and maybe you'll meet them again in Mongolia or Timbuktu!
Want to know what people thought of last years Meeting? Is it worth coming to the Meeting?
"I'm so looking forward to another UK meet. My only problem is that I simply can't get to every talk I want, such is the amount of terrific presentations on offer. Each year I've been astonished at how articulate, intelligent, informative and entertaining the speakers are. I'm willing to help with anything that doesn't keep me from a talk - and my timetable will be full to bursting!
Thanks Grant, Susan and all. I can't praise your Horizons highly enough." Denis Brown.
"Just a quick mail to thank you for a excellent weekend!!! What can I say, I drove home with a big smile on my face and a million ideas, where to go and how... " Matthew Mason. More comments here.
2006 speakers were:
- Paul Pratt, "Pan American Highway... to include 'Motorcycle Activities Worldwide"
- Andy Jones and Iain Wooley, "Round the Baltic states."
- Jeremy Bullard, around the world, KTM 'The Wrong Way Round' London to Cape Town - via New York. Some of the best disasters, places, biking roads and other tales from an accidental rtw trip.
- Chris Bright, "Morocco on a clapped out Transalp for 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year 05/06: TheBrightStuff encounters a Snowstorm, a Sandstorm, a Toasted Clutch and the Lisbon-Dakar 2006 Race. More Luck than Sense."
- Tiffany Coates, "The Caravana - four days of off-roading with the mad men of Ecuador"
- David Lomax returns with 2 new shows:
- "Scandinavia, 3 weeks, 7000km, Lapland and back. Complete with my new KTM, a 5000km rally, a novice rider, some serious sarcasm, and plenty of vodka / cheese / reindeer sausage eating (that's the Finns for you...)."
- "Want to Travel? Only got a few weeks holiday a year? So what! Come and find out how to make the most of whatever you've got (ooh err...!): 1 week in Ireland, 2 Weeks in Turkey, 3 Weeks in Guatemala, 4 Weeks in India, 5 Weeks in the USA, 6 Weeks in Africa, and more!"
- Chris Colling and Rory Elliott, "It be Reet" Two novice motorcyclists (1 passed his test 3 months before leaving) who had only met 6 times before starting their trip, attempt to ride from China to UK raising money for SOS Childrenâ€™s Villages.
- and more... see the Schedule (check in on the day for the latest changes and updates!)
- how about you? :)
Tech Sessions, 30-60 minutes:
- Grant and Susan Johnson, "the basics - how to ride around the world - or just to the next country" 3 hour presentation.
- "How to get someone of the opposite sex to go travelling with you - panel and discussion!" Panel volunteers please!
- "Women only"
- Austin Vince, "Filming your trip and getting it on TV"
- Michael Shulver "Gilding the sow's ear: making the best of amateur DVD footage" A look at planning and preparation, shooting footage and editing a DVD of overland travel.
- Grant Johnson, "Photo Composition for Travellers - the one everyone SHOULD take, but no one does..."
- Ian Bradshaw, "Introduction to GPS. Not sure what it's all about? Learn the basics to eliminate confusion."
- Ian Bradshaw, "Detailed overview to help understand and get the most from GPS, covering the system from satellites through to receiver accessories and a hands on workshop"
- Sam Davidson returns for his popular, "Basic Guide to changing and maintaining tyres. There will be a practice wheel/tyre, AND a Contest! Come prepared to show everyone how fast you can do it - classes for beginners and experts, and ladies!"
- Paula Fidge, "...but I've only got two weeks! - FIM Rallies: a mini-adventure in your summer holiday or an introduction to touring."
- Tiffany Coates, "Your safety on the road. Good practice tips and advice as well as those all important physical techniques to ensure you are safe whilst travelling. Delivered by an experienced and qualified tutor with 12 years teaching who has crossed every continent by bike and without a bloke to do the bolshy bits."
- Sam Davidson "Basic Bike Preparation tech session."
- Michael Wadiman, "First Aid for travellers"
- Sam Manicom, "Getting published and all that's involved"
- "Getting your adventures published can be fun, and a new voyage of discovery. There are tips and tricks that will make the whole thing far easier, and there are a few warnings too. If you have a yen to share the fun you have had, then come and get involved."
- Simon McCarthy, "Cambodia â€“ The Mini-Big Trip" You want to have a big biking adventure but you canâ€™t afford the time and money! But for the same price of a fortnight skiing in the alps or a bike trip to Morocco, you could have 3 or 4 weeks riding around Cambodia â€“ YES Cambodia - the land of ancient temples, the Mekong, wonderful food, smiley people and more dirt riding than you can shake a landmine at! Simon tells us how to organise the trip, when to go and what youâ€™re likely to see.
- Leslie Madge, "Tents: why compromise? Motorcyclist, camper, hillwalker and former mountain rescue worker Les's experience is vast and this talk is one not to be missed."
- Mark Manley, "The essential guide on what to take and what to leave at home"
- Phil Hawksley, 'All you ever wanted to know about a BOXER'. BMW specialist and hugely experienced ' The Boxer Man' is taking a Q. and A. session on all topics relating to BMW and in particular the Airhead BMW's - covering renovation, problems, servicing, spare parts.
- Steve Mercer, 'Taxing Questions', UK accountant, Steve is back again giving answers to any questions you have - can I rent my house out? Can my business buy my bike? Can I sell my house and not pay capital gains tax? How can I claim my tax back before going on my big trip?
- 'Phil Chaffey and Danny Taylor's Roadkill Cookout.' Watch and learn - how to make a firepit, skin a rabbit, pluck a pheasant, fillet a trout, cook it and eat it!
Travel Equipment Vendors
Ernie - Overland Solutions, custom fitting and equipment
Traveldri-Plus, motorcycle clothing specialists
Core Racing Imports, off-road equipment specialists
Metal Mule, overland luggage systems
Ultraseal, Tire sealant - get your tires sealed at the Meeting.
Sam Manicom, with his book "Into Africa"
Paul Pratt, one of the original overlanders with signed copies of his best selling, 'World Understanding on two wheels'
Chris Scott will be in attendance with his wide range of signed travel books and DVD's
Austin Vince will have some of his DVD's for sale as well as signed copies of his new book 'Mondo Enduro'
Simon McCarthy will be selling his new book "Sorebums Rattling Around Asia" by Simon McCarthy and Georgie Simmonds.
RPM Motorcycles- Sam Davidson local shop - call if you'd like anything brought to the meeting, like Sams tyre irons!
Dion't forget to say thanks for their support of your event!
Photos by Dan Mellor:
Glynn Roberts is the lead organizer of this event. Thanks Glynn, you continue to do an amazing job!
If you have any questions:
with rideout registration, vendor, venue and speakers questions.
Susan and I started the Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Travellers Meetings in May of 2001 while we were living in the UK, with an event held in our backyard in Slough. That first event had almost 40 people show up, and we were especially pleased that some came from as far away as Norway!
In 2002 we had moved back to Canada, so we organized a meeting in Nairn Falls, British Columbia, and also asked Chris Bright and Glynn Roberts if they would organize a second UK meeting since we couldn't be there. We had a small but enthusiastic turnout for the Canadian meeting, with folks coming from as far away as Missouri (almost 3,000 kilometers!), Alberta and California, as well as two round the world travellers, from Switzerland and the UK.
But the Brits really exceeded our wildest expectations. Almost 100 people came to the HU UK 2002 event, and had a great time. No rock bands or beer bashes, just motorcycle travellers and would-be travellers getting together to share experiences and tips - what a concept! For the HU UK 2003 event, almost 200 enthusiastic folks came together over several days and this is now well established as an annual event, with Glynn and Chris continuing to provide superb organizing, and a host of volunteers.
Ken and Carol Duval hosted Australia's first HU travellers event in 2003, and they had almost 60 people. The meetings in New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico and Portugal in 2003 were also big successes, and we look forward to many more in the years to come. It's wonderful for us to come to the meetings and visit with the many friends we've only met over the internet, and of course for everyone meeting up and sharing stories - and planning to meet in Ushuaia next year!
2004 was another big year for the HU travellers Meetings - we had almost 600 people come to the various meetings! We've learned a lot from your feedback, and we plan to have even better meetings this year, and more of them.
See you at a meeting this year!
Grant and Susan
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- France Mini: Sep 5-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."
"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"