The Achievable Dream 5-part series - the definitive guide on DVD for planning your motorcycle adventure. Get Ready! covers planning, paperwork, medical and many other topics! "Inspirational and Awesome!" See the trailer here!
Gear Up! is a 2-DVD set, 6 hours! Which bike is right for me? How do I prepare the bike? What stuff do I need - riding gear, clothing, camping gear, first aid kit, tires, maps and GPS? What don't I need? How do I pack it all in? Lots of opinions from over 150 travellers! "This DVD will save you a fortune!"See the trailer here!
So you've done it - got inspired, planned your trip, packed your stuff and you're on the road! This section is about staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure. And crossing borders, war zones or oceans!
On the Road! is 5.5 hours of the tips and advice you need to cross borders, break down language barriers, overcome culture shock, ship the bike and deal with breakdowns and emergencies."Just makes me want to pack up and go!" See the trailer here!
Tire Changing!Grant demystifies the black art of Tire Changing and Repair to help you STAY on the road! "Very informative and practical." See the trailer here!
Ladies on the Loose! For the first time ever, a motorcycle travel DVD made for women, by women! These intrepid women share their tips to help you plan your own motorcycle adventure. They also answer the women-only questions, and entertain you with amazing tales from the road! Presented by Lois Pryce, veteran solo traveller through South America and Africa and author of 'Lois on the Loose', and 'Red Tape and White Knuckles.'
"It has me all fired up to go out on my own adventure!" See the trailer here!
We're not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown a hobby into a full time job and a labour of love.
When you decide to become a Member, it helps directly support the site. You get additional privileges on the HUBB, access to the Members Private Store, and more to come as we roll out new systems. Of course, you get our sincere thanks, good karma and knowing you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. :-)
Travel BooksMotorcycle and travel books to inspire and inform you!
DVDs - Watch and Learn!
Horizons Unlimited presents!
Achievable Dream The definitive guide to planning your motorcycle adventure! This insanely ambitious 2-year project has produced an informative and entertaining 5-part, 18 hour DVD series. "The ultimate round the world rider's how-to DVD!" MCN UK.
Collectors Box SetAll 5 DVDs with a custom printed slip case. "The series is 'free' because the tips and advice will save much more than you spend on buying the DVD's."
Advertisers- Horizons Unlimited is well-established as the first source of reliable, unbiased information on all aspects of motorcycle travel.
We reach a dedicated, worldwide group of real travellers, and are the only website focusing exclusively on long distance motorcycle travellers.
If you sell motorcycles or motorcycle accessories, riding gear, camping equipment and clothing, transport motorcycles, organize motorcycle tours, or have motorcycles to rent, you should be advertising with us!
We've had a code update on the HUBB that should fix any issues with the new right hand column. If the HUBB "looks funny" or is too narrow with the Forum description squished up, please force a refresh to get the latest code update. (Hold down the shift OR ctrl key, and click the refresh button on your browser, OR Ctrl R, OR on Macs, Command R). If you still have a problem please post it here.
Last week i took the ferry from Mersin to Port Said. The company is called Megamar (owner is Alcor Shipping) and the ferry's called Apollonia. Here's how it goes:
- the ferry leaves on tuesdays and fridays each week.
- be at 01.00 pm on one of those days at the port in Mersin at gate A.
- call mr. Ōzer (+90543/684.23.12) and tell him you want to take this ferry. (two days before someone from the motorclub of istanbul called the agency (+90324/233.50.30) for this, because they only speak turkish. There was no reservation)
- after 1,5 hour mr. Ōzer and his english speaking colleague came to pick me up and assisted me with all the paperwork. I obviously had no idea where to go without them. I even had to make an x-ray of my motorbike.
- because of the ramadan in Egypt the ferry would leave the next day, for me on saturday. So i had to leave my bike in the harbor and went out for an hotel.
- next day i had to be there at 03.00 pm. I payed $275 for the ticket + $10 for customs. Around 09.00 pm i could drive my bike on the ferry. So make sure you have a good book to kill the time in the harbor. There is also a little shop with a restaurant.
- in the ferry i had my own 2p. room with bathroom. Very nice. Food on the ship is also included. There were two other cars, my bike and the rest were all trucks.
- i don't exactly know when the ferry left, but is was in the night of that saturday. The ferry arrived on tuesday morning 09.00h. So after 3 nights.
- in Port Said it took me three days to get my bike out of the port. I payed $400 for customs, $125 for i don't know what exactly and $17 for 'parking cost' (it was normally $25 but they converted wrong in EP). Also $15 for the visum. For two of these 3 days i had to sit and wait in a room while a guy from customs arranged all the paperwork. There was airco and a television with the olympic games + free internet i could use. So it could have been worse.
- tip: when you arrive in port said make sure they give you your passport back as quick as possible (they keep it for you to put the visum in it). Then go to the customs by yourself and not wait for them to come to you like they tell you. So maybe you will save a day.
- in total i payed $842 to get with my bike in egypt. Visum included.
Allright, that's it. Peace of cake. I hope i'll make some overlanders happy with this info.
Cheers, bert from belgium
And I forgot one important thing: Thank you Geert (user 'Catch22') for giving me the contacts for this ferry!
We have just taken a ferry from Mersin to Port Said, details are as follows.
Mr Mehmet Gencooglu
Tel: 0324 239 4048 or 0324 239 4088 (remember its in Turkey, I think the international dialing code is +90)
He doesn't speak the best english, but is a prolific user of google translator
He has also said that if you e-mail him, he will use google translator to translate etc
The office is on the main road opposite the Mersin Port entrance. It has a big blue sign which says 'MNF & KIBRIS DENIZCILIK'
We just rocked up at the port, asked around and were eventually taken to his office. I'm not 100% sure on which days the ferry leaves but we had an option of Sat, Mon, Tue and Thu. I get the feeling that the days can change at any time.
We paid $900 in total which is made up as follows:
$200 per person
$500 for a "Jeep" (Our Landy)
Initially he said that it was going to be $700 for the Landy. I told him it was too much, and told him that the length was only 4.5 meters. He hesitated for a while, made a phone call and then told me he would only charge $500 as it was no longer than 4.5m. So I guess you may be able to haggle with the price. When we got on the ferry, there was noone measuring or checking etc.
Anyway, the ticket includes a cabin (which you will need) as well as 3 meals a day. He will write a time on a manual invoice which is not the time the ferry leaves. You must meet him or one of his collegues just outside Gate A at the port which is sign posted on a tree at the time indicated. He will then jump in your car with you and take you to the correct place within the port. They will take your passports and V5 doc. You will not get your passport back until you get to Egypt. Your V5 will be returned immediately.
We were then told that the ferry would only leave at 23:00ish (Bearing in mind we met the agent at the port at 15:00, so its a long wait at a little cafe within the port.)
We eventually got onto the ferry at midnight and went straight to sleep. We woke up the next morning and the ferry hadn't set off yet.
We shared the ferry with 70 lorries and their drivers. It took us 4 nights to get to Port Said. We arrived at Port Said and are now waiting for customs to open. We've been told it is closed due to Ramadan and will be closed for 1 week. We will post regarding getting our vehicle through customs once completed.
Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
Membership - Show you're proud to be a Horizons Unlimited Traveller!
Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events such as this one (18 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.
You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or
to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and
knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.