Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 28
Motorcycle federation of Russia

Hi, can anyone tell me if I need an invite from the Motorcycle Federation of Russia to take my bike thier?


Ps. I've also seen a thread where you need to have a translated copy of my driving licence (for entering Russia) with me, is this true or not? I've sent an email to the DVLA asking if this is the case, and where, or how this can be done if it is the case... will post reply.

PPs. DVLA were of no use... didn't know what I was taking about? Russian embassy said I don't need an invite from motoring federation and that my V5 form has Russian Language on it... and so it does!!!!

Last edited by 01drf; 16 Jan 2008 at 20:13. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London (UK)
Posts: 44
With regards to the driver's licence, you'll need an International Driving Permit.

They cost £5.50 & you can get them at some post offices (there's a list on their website as to which ones do it).

You'll need a passport sized photo, the photocard & the paper bit for your driver's licence and also another form of ID (i.e. a credit card).

Haven't heard of needing an invite from the Motorcycle Federation of Russia. I hope not!
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121

The only 'invitation' needed in the process of visiting Russia, is the Invitation when applying for a Visa for yourself - assuming your home Citizenship requires a Visa.

Once you have a Visa you can go. All you need is your Passport. If riding/driving the minimum documentation you NEED is:-
Driving Licence - original
International Driving Permit - it includes a page in Russian. Google 'International Driving Permit' for details.
Registration Document for vehicle - original. With Letter of Authority from Registered Owner/Keeper if not yourself.
Insurance certificate issued by a Russian company - obtainable at borders prior to entering. Cost me £32 for 3 months on a motorbike. This is necessary irrespective of cover provided by your own insurance. Police and Border checks only recognise a Russian insurance certificate.
100-200 Roubles (about £2-£4) in cash for the Temporary Import Certificate they will issue, that you will have to carry with the vehicle. This is recognised by Police as a local Registration Document.

On entry you also receive a Migration Card and should use this with your Passport to get Registration within 3 working days, at any addresses you stay at.

In Russia -
- ALWAYS carry on your person your Passport, Migration Card and Registration.

- ALWAYS have with you, if out with the vehicle, the Temporary Import Cert, Driving Licence, International Driving Permit, and Russian Insurance Cert. These will satisfy the many DPS (Road Police) stops you will encounter - happens to all roadusers, Russian or foreign, especially if on a bike.
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2008
PaulM's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 134
Registration documents

It's also a good idea (I am told) to take a translated copy of your registration document.
This can be bought from the AA.
I'll give you the address when we talk.
Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121

The guys on borders generally know their way round V5 Registration Documents. They are all in the same format ithroughout all EU member states. I took a translation of the titles of the key numbered entries (provided by 'her indoors') but this translation was totally ignored when I twice entered and twice left Russia by bike this summer (07). The only check was comparing the rear number plate with the V5 although one looked at the entry 2 wheels and asked me to demonstrate this!!

The border customs issue the Temperary Import Certificate which is in Russian and is all any DPS (Roads Police) were ever interested in or wanted to see, in about 40 Road Checks/stops during 2+ months. It is the equivalent of the official Vehicle Identity Card that must be carried on/in all Russian registered vehicles. Even one particularly unfriendly and hostile cop was pacified by this document and gave up on his attempts to extract a bribe from me.

I will, a little later tonight, try to post here my translations on the headings on the V5 - assuming I can post here in Cyrillic symbols.
Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 28

Well, cheers for all the info Tony, has eased my concerns and queries... and Pete I will get round to downloading your route (vista home p, doesn't have exl, needs to be downloaded!!!) and calling. Like I said, as I've brought this all forward by a year and means getting a##e in gear.

Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121
V5 Russian translation

I've not forgotten the V5 Russian translation - I cant find it in my PC records at the monent and the Cyrillic keyboard has been playing up.
We will redo it over the weekend and post it here.

If you want any more info or a chat, feel free to PM me with a phone number or direct Email address.
I visit Russia 5 or 6 times a year and last summer took a bike through the Baltic states to Russia, down to the Caspian Sea, Black Sea and back, mostly via the way I came but with 'extras' detours. 10,000 miles. Only problem was a pannier rail bolt shook out somewhere on a very long boneshaking unmade mountain road in the Caucuses - 16 roubles (8p) for a replacement!
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 28

Once again, thanks Tony and Pete... Russia is now clear... China is becoming a pest... well the part about booking a guide and paperwork required... nothing's simple in this life!!!

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple business visa to Russia, with Motorcycle?? Kimse Northern Asia 7 27 Jul 2009 03:34
Vladivostok, Russia to Chernovtsy, Ukraine Daaayo Route Planning 14 3 Apr 2008 05:19
Motorcycle rentals in Russia Spicy McHaggis Europe 2 20 Mar 2008 03:27
If I bring my motorcycle to Spain, can I leave the country for awhile without it? monkii Europe 4 7 Jan 2008 11:18
South America Motorcycle Adventure Movie: Contest Announceme motorbikewithmike.com Travellers Seeking Travellers 79 12 Dec 2007 21:59


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:54.