Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 18
carnet in europe

Hey hey

Just doing some research if a carnet is required in Europe. I have found that countries like Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy, Monaco and Netherlands accept carnet but do not require them. My question is has any body gone to the trouble of obtaining carnets for these countries or you is it that you do not need to get one at all? Sorry just a little bit confused... Or say if I wanted to export my bike from Netherlans to Australia, would I need one?

Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Posts: 479
As far as I am aware, the only countries that actually require a carnet these days are Russia and certain other Asian nations, plus a handful of countries in Africa...

All EU members, and many of the fringe eastern European nations don't need a carnet.

Ah, the benefits of the Union!

Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
carnet europe

I'm from the UK and now in Australia. I know you don't need one for Europe if you hold an EU passport (which you must do), last time I looked you didn't need one for Russia either.
Australia you may need one, check the RTA website Australia. I know they can be strict here, but you should be OK if you work with them..

""Why cant we all just get along?"" - - No forget that ! why can't you all just get out of my way ?...
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Comox, B.C. Canada
Posts: 39
Canadian Passport

Hi Paul,

I was going to check with our Canadian Auto Club (CAA) tomorrow about carnets for Europe. They don't list any European countries in their web page as requiring carnets.

Do you know if I ship my bike over, and travel under my Canadian passport if I would need a carnet? The information I seem to be reading says no, but you mentioned if you travel under a EU pasport you are okay.

Thanks for any insight you may have!


Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 1,583
Do note that different types of vehicles, like cargo trucks, for example, and depending on where they´re coming from also, may use (or be required to use) a carnet to enter certain countries. That may explain, why some European countries are listed.

I´m not 100% sure if it will be the same regardless of where the bike is registered... but I am under the impression, that you will not need it for a motorcycle anywhere in the EU.
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009
gixxer.rob's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Melb
Posts: 292
Carnet in Europe

I emailed the RAC last year with this email:

I have a quick question that the answer to may seem obvious but I don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer.

I am planning a motorcycle trip to north, south, east and western Europe. Is a Carnet required for motorcycle travel in these areas ?
The motorcycle is UK taxed and insured vehicle.

If Carnet is required for any of these countries would you be able provide me with a list.

Their short but clear reply:

A carnet is not required for Europe

I sent the above email to carnets@rac.co.uk

Sounds good huh.
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kamloops, BC Canada
Posts: 108
Carnet countries

I would check the updated list that is included here on the HU site. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tri...t-of-countries
Samuel Longiaru
Kamloops, BC Canada
1975 BMW R60/6
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 54
Travelling between EU-countrys you will even not be stopped at any border. You can cross them as many times you want.
Different is for non-member countrys you would visit or when you enter EU from another country. There, you will be stopped and your papers checked, but don't worry, they will just look for your passport, bike's papers, the green card and nothing more.

Quite easy.
"Cosas que escapan a los que sueñan solo de noche..."
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 45

A quick reply to re-confirm that a carnet is NOT required for any vehicle in circulation in Europe/EU countries, irrespective of country of registration, nationality, etc. This includes Eastern Europe eastwards through to Russia.

May I draw attention to Grants' "Sticky" at the top of the Paperwork Board which summarises all relevant Carnet information - background, availability, where required, etc. If you scroll down, you can click on country/continent specific information for more details.

Check this page first before posting a message ... answers to your questions may well be found there !!


Paul Gowen
Senior Travel Administrator - RAC Carnets
Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by vander View Post
Travelling between EU-countrys you will even not be stopped at any border. You can cross them as many times you want.
Different is for non-member countrys you would visit or when you enter EU from another country. There, you will be stopped and your papers checked, but don't worry, they will just look for your passport, bike's papers, the green card and nothing more.

Quite easy.
Got to correct you a little here mate... From Wikipedia:

"The EU has developed a role in justice and home affairs, including the abolition of passport controls between many member states which form part of the Schengen Area, which also incorporates some associated European non-EU countries.

All EU members except Ireland and the United Kingdom are required to implement Schengen and, with the exception of Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania, have done so. Three non-member states, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, have also implemented the Schengen rules."

So it all sounds pretty good really!

Oh, I drove into Russia back in 1999 and no carnet was required then.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India to Europe without Carnet! gnasherwood Trip Paperwork 5 24 Sep 2006 12:19
Europe to Kenya without carnet MarkieB sub-Saharan Africa 5 2 Jun 2006 00:51
selling after the carnet in Europe Natob Trip Paperwork 1 12 Sep 2005 23:15
Is a Carnet required anywhere in Europe? SKILLO Trip Paperwork 12 5 Dec 2004 22:52
Need Carnet for Europe? thomasr Trip Paperwork 3 15 Apr 2004 01:58


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:37.