How to get licensed in Vietnam (an alternative method)
Thought this might be useful to some.
Had always read that Vietnam doesn't recognize international driving permits and you have to apply for a local license inside Vietnam etc. However, I just got my car and motorcycle licenses in Thailand and noticed that the licensing office was displaying a banner showing the flags of several SEA countries.
It seems that there is a special "Smart Card" license available which is recognized in several other SEA countries including Vietnam (according to the Thai Road/Traffic Authority).
Here's what you need to get one:
Documents for Provisional Driving License (for foreigners)
- Passport with non-immigrant visa or other visas or alien certificate with a photocopy
- Resident certificate in Thailand certified by the Embassy or Immigration Office or work permit with photocopy
- Medical certificate
- Two 1 inch Photographs (not more than 6 months [old])
- International driving license (convention of 1949) with a photocopy or local driving license (translated in English or Thai certified by the Embassy) with a photocopy
- In case of submitting required documents in number 5, the applicant was exempted to have theory test and practical test but he must proceed the following items:
- Training for 2 hours
- Reaction test
- Colour blindness test
- Eyesight in wide vision test
- Eyesight in deep vision test
- Foot reaction and brake test
- In case of no required documents in number 5, the applicant must proceed the following items:
Note: Ask for the "Smart Card" license which is recognized across SEA.