Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Central America and Mexico > Repair Shops, Central America and Mexico
Repair Shops, Central America and Mexico RECOMMENDED Repair shops. List COUNTRY first in the subject to make it easier to find. Threads are sorted Alphabetically, NOT by date.
Be sure to check out the over 800 HU Communities for help anywhere in the world from travellers just like you. They WANT to help, so let them know you're coming.
Photo by Daniel Rintz, Himba children, Namibia

The only impossible journey
is the one
you never begin

Photo by Daniel Rintz,
Himba children, Namibia

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brennan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2007
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer

Panama City, Panama

Antonio Cabazas' bike shop. Is located in the financial district in Panama City. I have met a ton of mechanics on this trip of mine through South America. This guy is a superstar for sure. He is soft spoken, speaks English and could turn your bike into a dodge viper if you asked him to. He has a 20 year old son Antonio Jr who is studying to be a mechanical engineer. He also speaks English and can help you find parts throughout the city. Great kid. Both of these guys can talk about cars and bikes for days. Sr. is bordering on genius in my opinion.

Antonio was also the president of the APM (Association of Panamanian Motorcyclists) he took a step down because his lovely wife has breast cancer. If you get a chance to go to a meeting with him you will meet all kinds of amazing people. With these contacts you can find and or do anything in PC. All that I ask is that you be extremely respectful of these people. They were very kind to me.

Contact Info:
N8 59.557 W79 31.292
email for Antonio: Cabatony **A-T** cableonda **D-O-T** net
I have Antonio Jr's phone number as well. PM me if you need it.

BMW Dealer in Panama. Luis the Chief mechanic is an awesome guy. The three times I was there he never charged me for labor. Don't count on it but he might do the same for you. After reading the moto guest book it looks like that is his MO. Plan on paying to be safe though. Please do not expect not to pay for labor and cause a scene or mention my name. Antonio is a far more accomplished mechanic. Unless you have a warranty I would take your bike to Antonio, he charges very little.

If you need help with English at the BMW dealer ask for Armando in car sales. All these guys love travelers and will be happy to help.

Contact Info:
BMW Panama City - Bavarian Motors
Address: Edificio BMW Calle 50 y 65
N8 59.385 W79 30.715
Luis' work phone +507 301 5400
I have Luis' Cell PM me if you need it.

If you get into a bind while anywhere in Panama get in touch with me. I have numbers and names that might get you out of a bad situation. I am happy to help.

www.brennandates.com

Last edited by Chris in Tokyo; 26 Aug 2007 at 09:14.
Old 18 Aug 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular

antonyos phone no

HEY
i would like to get antonyos phone no if u still have it
thanks
Old 19 Aug 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer

I can dig up his number for you, I guess it depends on what you need it for? You can just show up at his shop, he is there everyday except Sunday.

www.brennandates.com
Old 4 Feb 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Hi Brennan,

I'm thinking about buying a new K1300 GT in the US and riding it back to Panama.

Since you seem to have ridden a lot in the Panama area, do you have any comments on this?

Do you think I can find paved roads for the entire trip? I don't think this bike would do real well in gravel (or better to say, I don't think I'd do real well in gravel for extended distance).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 22 Nov 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Good General Mechanic in Panama City, Panama

Rolled in to town spilling oil like Sean Connerys DB5 in Goldfinger, rear wheel grinding like a banshee, and shaking like a Hula dancer. There was a big dent in the rear rim thanks to a Costa Rican pothole, and Suzuki couldn't take the job so they sent me over Turin. This shop specializes in truing car rims.

After the rear wheel came off, we saw that both bearings were shot, the right one reduced to 1 little ball and a pile of dust. $30 USD for labor to scrape out the bearing case which had fused to the hub, and install the replacements. $3.60 each at the parts shop for the bearings. You read that right. $3.60. Each. Suzuki charges $40 a piece in the states. Seems these are just standard bearings compatible with something off a car.

I was so grateful, I could have kissed the guy. Went to 4 shops and 6+ parts stores and was freaking out about not being able to get the rear fixed, and getting stranded somewhere in Central America.

Brought the bike back the next day to get the oil pan welded. Had a crack since the Mexican Topes that I patched with JB Weld, but another speedbump just outside of Panama City opened it up again. It was a big messy job, exhaust header had to come off first, and the oil pan was a mess. $50 and 2 hours later, the bike was reassembled and waiting for me.

Had to pay another $25 for the welding job, which is steep for down here. They showed me pictures, and it was a 6 inch crack.

Would strongly recommend Eddie at Turin. He's about 5'8, a little stocky, late 20's. Totally satisfied with the work.

Eddie
Servicios Turin
Via Fernandez de Cordoba
Calle 7ma, frente a Parabrisas y Carrocerias
Telephone 261-4556
Cell 6065-0860

The place may be a little tricky to find, it's off Trasisimica highway, AKA Simon Bolivar Blvd., just across the street from the Raenco. That's a general retail store like a Sears, but without the clothes, tools or makeup.

Additionally, Avenida Doimingo Diaz, the street just up from Turin (away from Transisimica highway AKA Simon Bolivar Blvd.) is THE place to go for parts, easy and hard to find. There are at least 4 industrial supply shops on this street specializing sprockets and roller chains. Yup, Specializing in this! I needed 1 roller bearing for the chain (called a Rodillo en espanol), and while they had 'em in any flavors and styles that will suit you, nobody had a 530, which is what I needed. HOWEVER, shop Dimar SA sold me a 192 link 530 roller chain for $15.45. Yeah. $15.45. No, it doesn't have any of those new fanglese O rings or X rings or any of that crap, BUT, One Tenth the cost, Hell Yeah! Free trade countries, gotta love 'em.

Dimar SA
Edificio La Balinera
Panama City, Panama, Panama‎
(0)229 1444

Google Maps is showing it on the corner of San Martin and San Miguel, just off Avenida Doimingo Diaz.
Old 25 May 2014
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Best Mechanic in Panama!

I can confirm this 100%. Antonio and his son are incredibly intelligent and amazingly nice people. They both speak English perfectly and can help you with whatever you need. Go to them for anything you need FIRST. And the coordinates to their shop below are correct. It's one block off of Espana and one block off of Brasil street. Their house is blue.

I endorse these guys 100% (and I know motors really well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan View Post
Antonio Cabazas' bike shop. Is located in the financial district in Panama City. I have met a ton of mechanics on this trip of mine through South America. This guy is a superstar for sure. He is soft spoken, speaks English and could turn your bike into a dodge viper if you asked him to. He has a 20 year old son Antonio Jr who is studying to be a mechanical engineer. He also speaks English and can help you find parts throughout the city. Great kid. Both of these guys can talk about cars and bikes for days. Sr. is bordering on genius in my opinion.

Antonio was also the president of the APM (Association of Panamanian Motorcyclists) he took a step down because his lovely wife has breast cancer. If you get a chance to go to a meeting with him you will meet all kinds of amazing people. With these contacts you can find and or do anything in PC. All that I ask is that you be extremely respectful of these people. They were very kind to me.

Contact Info:
N8 59.557 W79 31.292
email for Antonio: Cabatony **A-T** cableonda **D-O-T** net

BMW Dealer in Panama. Luis the Chief mechanic is an awesome guy. The three times I was there he never charged me for labor. Don't count on it but he might do the same for you. After reading the moto guest book it looks like that is his MO. Plan on paying to be safe though. Please do not expect not to pay for labor and cause a scene or mention my name. Antonio is a far more accomplished mechanic. Unless you have a warranty I would take your bike to Antonio, he charges very little.

If you need help with English at the BMW dealer ask for Armando in car sales. All these guys love travelers and will be happy to help.

Contact Info:
BMW Panama City - Bavarian Motors
Address: Edificio BMW Calle 50 y 65
N8 59.385 W79 30.715
Luis' work phone +507 301 5400
I have Luis' Cell PM me if you need it.

If you get into a bind while anywhere in Panama get in touch with me. I have numbers and names that might get you out of a bad situation. I am happy to help.
Old 18 Dec 2014
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Tires in Panama

I am in need of a rear tire for my R 1200 GSA Beemer and will be in Panama shortly. Does anyone have the email / address of a shop that would have a tire for me. That would be a huge help!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 18 Dec 2014
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer

Bmw Panamá or Antonio

www.brennandates.com
Old 15 Nov 2015
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Antonio's email

I just tried emailing Antonio but the email address didn't work?? Does anyone know if this has changed recently? I am riding a KLR 650 and will be in Panama by the last week of November. I want to talk Antonio about procuring some new tires for my beast.
Old 24 Jan 2017
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Pan City Repair Shop

Just a 2017 update to the original recommend of Antonio Sr and Jr's repair shop (attached to their blue house). It's still going strong and the GPS co-ords are accurate. I arrived as a walk-in with a crash damaged V-Strom and these guys were really helpful. Both speak good English and my bill was good value. Thanks guys!
Old 29 Apr 2017
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisWeeStrom View Post
Just a 2017 update to the original recommend of Antonio Sr and Jr's repair shop (attached to their blue house). It's still going strong and the GPS co-ords are accurate. I arrived as a walk-in with a crash damaged V-Strom and these guys were really helpful. Both speak good English and my bill was good value. Thanks guys!
Thx for your comment. I have a strange noise in my V-Strom motor since San Jose in Costa Rica. I gonna get there tomorrow.
Old 25 Aug 2017
Registered Users
HUBB regular

i have to add myself here.
does anyone have up to date contact info for antonio ? ill be in panama in about a month and will need a new rear by then.
or if anyone knows of some other source either in panama or colombia im open to suggestions
Old 6 Nov 2018
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan View Post

t.

Hi Brennan

Tim Shaw here,
I was wondering if you might still be able to dig up Antonio JRs number.
I’m coming down through central on a Honda st1100 and after reading this thread I would like Antonio to take a look at it. Mostly walk in related items (oil leak, swing arm inspection from where I pulled it out on the side of the road in Guatemala etc) but that said I would love to call ahead and order a rear tyre as well.
Let me know if you can help. Thank you. Will send this as well as a PM
Old 6 Nov 2018
Registered Users
New on the HUBB

Turns out I need three posts to send a PM so this is that third post