1. Check into hotel in Johor Bahru (JB).
2. Take taxi to insurance office, which has moved.
3. Fill in even more interminable form than usual and give them money.
4. Be told that because of yesterday's blackout the computers have been down and there's a backlog of work and they can't issue the certificate until tomorrow morning.
6. Claim that you will incur serious bodily harm from Singaporean motorcyclists if the paperwork isn't in order tomorrow morning.
7. Get vague promise of a certificate at 3pm this aftenoon.
8. Spend ages finding a taxi back to the hotel.
9. Watch the Dakar.
10. Ring insurance office and confirm certificate is available.
11. Get taxi to insurance office to get certificate, and ensure it (the taxi) waits (on a double yellow line).
12. Take said taxi to Singapore taxi stand.
13. Negotiate price to the Singapore AA office and return.
14. Go to Singapore AA.
15. Hand over:
Insurance policy and certificate
Carnet de Passage
UK Driving licence
International Driving Permit
Completed interminable form
A promise (cross my heart and hope to die) that I'll go back with the Bill of Lading from the shipping company
16. Receive in exchange:
International Circulation Permit
Er . . . that's it
17. Resume taxi mack to Malaysia.
17. Walk to hotel from Singapore taxi stand.
18. Consume several large G+Ts.
19. Affix ICP to inside of screen. Crookedly. Next to Russian one.
PS And it *still* took two hours to get from Malaysia to Singapore, despite completely correct paperwork and a very helpful Customs official. But I had company as four members of the BMW Club of Singapore came across to escort me on to their premises, so to speak.Posted by Cynthia Milton at January 16, 2005 08:20 PM GMT
"The calendar is magnificent!"
"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"
Next HU Events
- UK Haggs Bank: Sep 19-21
- USA California: Sep 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Germany Autumn: Oct 23-26
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12, 2015
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!
"Inspiring and hilarious!"
"I loved watching this DVD!"
"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.
What others say about HU...
"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA
"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia
Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!
What turns you on to motorcycle travel?
New to Horizons Unlimited?
Membership - help keep us going!
Books & DVDs
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!
Story and photos copyright © All Rights Reserved.
Contact the author:
Editors note: We accept no responsibility for any of the above information in any way whatsoever. You are reminded to do your own research. Any commentary is strictly a personal opinion of the person supplying the information and is not to be construed as an endorsement of any kind.
Hosted by: Horizons
Unlimited, the motorcycle travellers' website!
You can have your story here too - click for details!