We would like to take this opportunity to say a big ‘Thank You’ too everyone who has supported us and helped us with the mammoth task of preparing for this trip.
Joanne and Rachael thanks for putting us up on our last night in Oz, and for being there for us all the time.
Lynn Quinn, who is not Chinese, for supporting us and buying our crap from the our garage sale. We hope to see you in Mexico!
Ruthie, who is having a bit of a rough time at the moment - you will shine through, thanks for your thoughts and wishes.
Christine for helping Jules learn as much Spanish as she possibly could (even if the grandmother wore short mangoes) and for Eric who shared his class time with her.
Especially big thank you to Hanka and Erik Fockert for the inspiration while they stayed with us (and painted our house)!
To Brenda and Kevin and Marilyn a huge thank you for thier help, ideas, information and kind offers of accommodation in Canada... when we get there.
Sunset on Barron River, Cairns
The bike left our company on the 4th of April and we have just had word that it arrives in Vancouver on the 1st of June. One problem with sending goods from Cairns is that it has to go to a major port first, Brisbane, prior to leaving Australia. So we have been without a bike for some time now and are really looking forward to seeing it soon.
The last few weeks have been taken up with all the final fiddley bits and pieces that seem to take up endless lists. Now instead of writing lists and crossing one thing off and adding another two, we are at the stage where two get crossed off and not very often do we add another.
Julie finished work on the 13th of May, and would like to thanks all her friends and colleagues who organised to send us to a flash hotel on the esplanade of Cairns for our final night in Australia. Especially big thanks to Mumma Bear Tiffin for organising it!
The 1st of June sees us fly from Cairns to Sydney and Sydney to Taipei where we will stop the night before heading to Vancouver. We are hoping that we can cope with the Canadian summer, coming from the wet tropics and all!
To answer some of the most Frequently Asked Questions
· We are travelling light!
· Yes, ‘One On One Off One In the Wash’ is our clothing allowance.
· We sold our house and our apartment to finance the trip.
· We buy food as we need it, we can carry up to 2 days worth of food and no we are not taking enough vegemite to last the entire trip…. However long it will be!
This is a consolidated list of the things we are taking. Surprisingly it all packs into 2 panniers, 1 top box (well the top box is barely half full) and a tank bag with two side bags.
· Tent – Citadel by Macpac– Thank you to Mark at Adventure Equipment in Cairns for letting us play with all the tents in the store
· 2 sleeping bags – Roman by Palm Passport – comfort to 0, low -5
· 2 Kookaburra 6 tube air mattresses
· 2 silk mattress covers – home made
· 1 silk sheet – home made
· First Aid Kit
· Sewing Kit
· 2 Foot Prints Travel Guides – Central America and South America
· Small Spanish dictionary
· Trangia – kitchen kit with methylated spirits burner and MSR whisper light petrol burner – we decided on the two burners to allow more flexibility with fuel supply
· 2 stainless cups
· 1 neoprene bottle 250ml
· 2 plates plastic
· 3 spice containers
· 2 cutting boards plastic thin
· Small collapsible esky
· Tea towel
· spare oil filter
· wd40 can
· 5 litre petrol can (empty)
· DL 1000 service manual
· Tyre pressure gauge
· Mini foot pump and CO2 cartridge pump
· Chain lubing kit
· 2 spare 1 litre oil containers
· Tyre levers and repair kit
· Most bike spares we will be taking will be purchased in the US and Canada so that we don’t have to take them from AUS.
Plus our clothes and riding gear……
We are certain that some things packed are not needed and others we have forgotten, but sometimes you cant tell until you start moving.
Will talk to you from Canada next!
"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."
"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"
Next HU Events
- Ireland: July 18-20
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- France Mini: Sep 5-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16
- NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16, 2015
What others say about HU...
"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA
"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia
Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!
What turns you on to motorcycle travel?
New to Horizons Unlimited?
Membership - help keep us going!
Books & DVDs
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!
Story and photos copyright © All Rights Reserved.
Contact the author:
Editors note: We accept no responsibility for any of the above information in any way whatsoever. You are reminded to do your own research. Any commentary is strictly a personal opinion of the person supplying the information and is not to be construed as an endorsement of any kind.
Hosted by: Horizons
Unlimited, the motorcycle travellers' website!
You can have your story here too - click for details!