November 24, 2011 GMT
Episode VIII: A brief jaunt into Bolivia - Part I

Can you believe it?! We actually manage to leave San Pedro de Atacama. I thought I would dry out to a crisp by the time we are able to leave. The Atacama desert is the driest desert in the world, and my skin, hair and general extreme thirst at all times is proving this to be true.

We gamely begin a new routine for this most difficult of routes - the Lagoon Route to the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia - by getting up early and leaving town by 7am. Well, thatīs the plan. The bakers however ignore our shouts and bangs on the door until the shop front is opened by the (late!) shop assistant at 7.15am. Precious minutes wasted.


We buy 10 pieces of bread, and get out of the town with a huge sigh of relief. In my thoughts I am replaying all the pieces of advice we have been given by other cyclists in the past month - who have all cycled this same route, but from the other end. (Please excuse some paraphrasing)

"If you can do this route you can do anything (on a bicycle)." - Judit, Explore Pangea
"My butt is still traumatised from the sand and washboard road." - Judit, EP. ("Washboard" describes the horizontal ruts that the road disintegrates to, making it a bone-shattering ride for cyclists, especially those without any suspension. It looks like a washboard, hence the name.)


"But I would do it again...just not right now!!" - Judit, EP.
"Ohhh, don't worry. You will be 10kg lighter by the time you guys come back from Uyuni." - Yannick
"There are no vegetables or fruit to be found en route. You may as well forget it for two weeks." - Yannick
"I took carrots and apples....and had to eat the last apple at the border of Chile!" - Marilli

(does this count? A few raisins and cranberries, part of my dried fruit stash?)

"Ohhhh, youīll have to start getting used to powdered milk...thereīs no other way." - Judit, EP.
"You have to knock on the doors, to get attention, and also order the bread for the next day...itīs quite hard to get fresh supplies." - Judit, EP.
"You should be able to get to refill points [for water] every second day." - Martin
"You can always stop the tourist jeeps and ask for help/water." - Yannick, Martin, Cesar (EP).
"You can always stop wherever you are when you run out of energy and camp for the night." - Cesar, EP.
"The wind starts in the afternoon, it makes it a horrendous ride." - Everyone!
"Actually the wind starts at 10.30am..." - Marilli
"I would really advise you to start early [in the day]." - Yannick
"The problem with starting early is that itīs REALLY cold [at that altitude]" - Everyone
"We sleep with our water bags as pillows to prevent them from freezing." - Yannick
"We pour out water for the morning in the pan [the night before] , so even if it freezes itīs ok." - EP
"We take our insoles [of shoes] into the tent with us." When I wrinkled my nose, he added, "Itīs much more preferable to having freezing feet in the morning, I assure you!" - Martin
"We sleep with a bottle of water on the mattress between us to prevent THAT from freezing." - Marilli
"Martin just has a period every day where he swears profusely [on the route]. It passes, and everything is ok again." - Marilli
"We cycle with a cloth over our nose and mouth - it helps at high altitude because of the cold, and also increases the humidity of the air we breathe." - Cesar, EP. (Not to mention protection from the sun and wind and the dust from the jeeps)
"Cycling at high altitude means you get very short of breath very quickly, but your legs are not tired. Just keep pushing on." - Judit, EP
"If youīre going to camp on the Salar de Uyuni, youīll need to take a rock with you for the pegs." - Martin
"Be careful where you camp on the Salar - the jeeps just run all over the salar, and you could get run over in the middle of the night." - Martin
"You should definitely be able to get to the border on the first day (43km), and to the first lakes" - Marilli

Rest assured everyone, that at some point or another we made good use of every bit of the advice! This last piece of advice, ringing in my ears, make the failure of arriving at the border on the first day that much worse! Hereīs the story...

Day 1 - San Pedro to Km 31 (34km)
The first 43km out of San Pedro is uphill. Badly uphill. Tarmacīd road, but with a 2000m altitude gain. I still maintain that it was probably the worst bit of the entire two-week ride. We start in high spirits, and even make rude gestures towards San Pedro as we start to lose sight of it (we have really had enough of the place). At 11am, a huge water truck goes by - the driver is kind enough to stop and ask if we need any water. "I have plenty," he says, gesturing to the thousands of litres he has on his truck. We cheerfully decline.

The hill is relentless. Iīm sure it becomes steeper. By 4pm we are losing the will.


The water truck returns from the top, and the driver this time wonīt take no for an answer. He gives us a litre of juice, and offers sandwiches. Obviously we look like death warmed up - but it gives us renewed energy.


By 5pm we have fallen by the wayside. We have done 31 of the 43 uphill kilometres. Putting up the tent, we collapse into two untidy heaps inside. Too exhausted to talk, we need a brief shut-eye before even attempting dinner. I secretly worry that we have taken on too much and there is no way we can complete this route.

Day 2 - Km 31 to Laguna Verde (Green Lake) (32km)
We continue our new schedule of getting up at 5am to leave at 7am. There is already headwind at 7.30am. Alex is stopping every 500m. I stop every couple of hundred for a breather. We achieve our top speed - 2km/hr for the first four hours - yes, much slower than walking. A huge celebration is needed when we reach the border road at the top. I perform a little victory dance before going (thankfully) downhill towards the border.


The border guards look at us suspiciously...the passports are stamped out of Chile on the 4th November. We arrive on 6th November. One laughs when we say, cycling takes a long time, we have very heavy luggage. The other says..."It takes 12 hours to walk..."
Well. We took 15 hours. Eat that. Iīm sure itīs a different road. Some tourists tell us that we were going very fast (in that downhill bit!) and that they are very impressed. We smile enigmatically and decline to mention what hell we have been through already.


Arrival at the national park is a triumph. We see the first lake - Laguna Blanca (White Lake) - with real joy.


We have our first meal in Bolivia....and there is a little bit of salad to keep up the vitamin levels. I have already fallen over twice today. I finally get to use the king-sized medical kit that I have brought with me.


Next to Blanca is Laguna Verde, a beautiful jade green sparkling under the sun. I am amazed at the difference in colour between the two adjacent lakes.


We see flamingoes. We try not to disturb them too much as we camp at some ruins for the night. It is barely big enough for our tent.


Day 3 - Laguna Verde to Laguna Chalviri (34km)
Realising that there is an one hour time difference in Bolivia, we set our clocks accordingly. Not realising which way the time difference is, we get up at 4am by mistake and are ready to leave by 6am.


It is COLD. All my fingers become completely wooden and the pain makes me cry out sharply even whilst cycling off road. The scenery is incredible but the jeeps are annoying. The dust cloud they stir up completely engulf us even whilst we get beeped or whistled at. We get much more of this over the next few days, but I still donīt get used to having my photo taken by strangers whilst Iīm breathing heavily and struggling with the road. If I had the energy I would stick my tongue out for sure!


My head begins to hurt from all the jarring of the road. I wonder, is there a "Shaken Cyclist Syndrome?"

We surprisingly arrive at our destination by 1pm - I thought it would take much longer. As we rest inside the restaurant building, we can see tourists through the window, trying to lift up our bikes outside, to see how heavy they are. We canīt hear them, but we can see them shake their heads - in disgust??


For the record, the bikes are about 15kg, and then we carry probably 30-35kg...included in that are almost 20 litres of water. We have abandoned the huge plastic fizzy drink bottles we previously collected as we had no confidence that they would survive the off-road, and have come back to the faithful four we left London with: Squeezy, Moo, Funky and Black. Look out for them in photos of the bike!

The attraction here is the natural thermal pool, which is fantastically hot. It melts away the tension in our muscles and we watch the flamingoes from a distance.


We share the evening meal (Llama steak. Chewy.) with a French family Tresca who are travelling for a year with their fabulous Land Rover. I am deeply jealous of their "kitchen" - the entire drawer!


And equally impressed with these dedicated parents giving their children such an unforgettable experience. They carry schoolbooks with them and have a daily hour or so of "schooltime" before enjoying the rest of the day.

We pay a little money to sleep on the floor of the restaurant and to avoid the cold...


...only to find that our hostess possesses a very loud and incessant voice. Even our French friends are surprised in the morning by the amount of noise emitting from the restaurant that can be heard from inside their van even at 11.30pm. We are however not so happy. Especially when I blow my nose and they tramp loudly back through to shine a light onto our faces at some late hour. The complaining and banging of pots and pans re-start sometime after 4am. We get up at 5am to clear out of the way in time for the first tourists at 6am. These tourists unfortunately miss the best views of the day....sunset,

...and sunrise the next day.

Day 4 - Lake Chalviri to the Sol de Manaņa geysers (23km)
We wait around for two hours in the morning thinking that we will eventually be fed breakfast after the tourists leave. There is unfortunately a communication error and we have to almost beg for food. A hungry start to the day. La famille Tresca overtakes us easily, despite a three-hour head start, as we set off up the hill towards our next destination.


We meet Chris on the road, another Swiss, on a recumbent bike this time. Nearly at the end of his journey (coming the other way), he generously gives us two packets of yummy crackers (before you ask I donīt know why people keep giving us food...perhaps we are wasting away?), before leaning back on his bike and merrily goes downhill. We continue to climb up to the dizzying height of 4860m where we camp for the night.


It is only 3pm but it has already become quite cold and windy.

We dress accordingly - i.e. put on almost every item of clothing we are carrying - and celebrate our success with a hot chocolate. Afterwards we carry everything into the tent that we have been advised to...and more, to prevent problems with frozen food and malfunctioning stove in the morning.

We go for a walk and discover that the geysers here are quite active, hissing and bubbling in the mud.

The gale-force winds try to disperse the steam as soon as they come up from the ground, but even they are unsuccessful. The colours of the soil range from red to yellow to green to white, with all the minerals that this rich soil contains.


We are much more impressed by these geysers than the El Tatio geysers that we joined the tour to see back in Chile.


Day 5 - Sol de Manaņa to Laguna Colorada (Red Lake) (36km)
Tea AND porridge for breakfast. We are prepared for a chilly start to the day at 5am. Impressively tourists are already being ferried about at 5.30am and the stream of visitors do not stop. Despite studying the road descriptions and maps daily I forget that there are two hard kilometres to do first thing. I slog away and mutter furiously to myself. (There is a comprehensive description of the route by previous cycle tourers. It would appear that cycle touring is not quite as bonkers as I think it is, and that there are numerous people in the world who do it....especially coming all the way down from Alaska. Surely that IS bonkers??) The road bang the bikes so hard that our panniers constantly bounce out of place and we have to put them back in.


A beautiful 20-odd km of not-too-bad downhill later, we reach the horrible 16km of "mostly pushing" (says the description) around the astonishingly red Laguna Colorada, with its many, many flamingoes.


The lake is a jewel - beautifully deep red with streaks of white. The road is in stark contrast to the beauty around us.

I angrily push, pull, lift, readjust my poor bike through the chaos of sand, washboard and ruts. If only I can stay in a straight line for more than 5 metres, then I wouldnīt get thrown off-course by a rock to my left, another to the right, a nudge into the sand, and a stand-still as the bike gets stuck deep. Again. ARGH! I wish I could ride like athletes in a cyclodrome at an angle, I can then stay on the edge of the washboard and not fall in.

The wind has been blowing on and off all morning (mostly on...) and we are glad to reach finally a Refugio - accommodation by the laguna. As we unload the bikes we see 5 other cycle tourers coming in the opposite direction. They say a quick hello, have some lunch, and are gone to continue on their journey. Thatīs dedication for you. The wind by this point is so strong that I find it difficult to walk, let alone cycle in that horrible bit I am glad to have left behind. We fight the wind to walk up to the viewpoint. Spectacular!


We stock up on chocolates, cookies (as Iīm coming to realise, an essential foodgroup for any cycle tourer), eggs, (stale) bread and petrol for the stove at the shop and collapse into bed after pasta and sauce for dinner from the Refugio.

Day 6 - Laguna Colorada to the "rocky outcrops" (36km)
An easy morning with little to complain about.


We visit the Arbol de Piedra - Tree of Stone carved out by the sandy wind in these parts. I still think the "Queenīs head" that we have on a beach in Taiwan is more impressive!


We reach the "rocky outcrops" described by previous cyclists and follow some cycle tracks to them.


By now the wind is in earnest. We spend the best part of two hours trying out camping spots, eventually settling on the first one we tried. Our tent is just huge and does not fit very well in small spots. The supposed "windbreak" that these rocks are meant to provide is non-existent. We struggle heroically and manage to eat only half a kilo of sand in the process. The tent flaps alarmingly and I sit inside hoping that I wonīt take off with the fabric. By now the tent zips are also playing up and we spend at least half an hour a day trying to shut the tent. Itīs now at the stage that we only close the tent behind us just before going to sleep, and once in we are trapped, unable to get out until morning. I become hysterical, crying with laughter as I sit in the gale-force wind, avoiding the flapping edges of the tent (canīt shut it yet, not time to go to bed. Well, canīt shut it anyway!), contemplating our woes - our water filter drips all over the interior of the tent, Alexīs mattress self-deflate during the night, and Alex has just managed to spill water all over his trousers. Youīve gotta laugh...

Day 7 - "Rocky outcrops" to Laguna Hediona (44km)
We picked up another tip from the Trescas - use the emergency space blanket at night for the cold! Hooray! Dim that we are, we have saved it for "emergencies"...Alex finally wakes up in the morning (4.30am) and does not complain of the cold. The feet end of the sleeping bag however, has evidence of how cold it is. It has iced over. We leave it in the sun to defrost whilst we have breakfast.

The plan today is to pedal like crazy until the Ecolodge 45km away. From previous descriptions it is going to be a long and hard day. Within the first ten minutes we come upon a much better campsite than the one we had last night. Humph! The road deteriorates further...



If you were close by you would think that I was singing to myself as I emit little cries of "Ah!", "Oh!", "Eeeek!", "Woo!"...and a few others whilst bouncing from one unexpected rock to another. I quickly realise that I am fed up and knackered with trying to pedal the sandy uphill, falling off the bike within the minute.


I hop off the beast to start pushing. Much easier, but still hard work. Alex also discreetly pushes whilst Iīm not looking.


Three hours later I am grateful to get to some downhill! Another record broken - it took us 3 hours to do 7km.

We say hello to another Swiss biking couple heading the other way. We exchange information about the hellishness of the most recent roads and carry on. I see lots of cycle tracks and feel happy that we are going where others have been before. Going the other way means that their uphill is our downhill, and a huge section where we have been warned would involve a lot of pushing we just whizzed through. Hooray!


We reach the five consecutive lakes. The road has changed and now itīs rocks we have to contend with. We have lunch hiding behind a sign for shelter from the wind and sun. Tailwind for a change - Hooray again!


This is our standard lunch. Bread (stale) and boiled egg (from a few days ago, when we have any left). I am not impressed, but valiantly continue to shove the food into my mouth. For the calories only, you understand.


Finally we reach the Ecolodge los Flamingos and a young boy left in charge tries to sell us a room for 100 US dollars. I actually laugh in his face. Rude, but I canīt help it. We had heard that there are rooms for 20 US dollars? Oh maybe, but we need to wait for the owner to return. Or we are offered to camp in the extension that they are building for free. We say yes, and hereīs where we spend the night, amongst the bags of cement!


In our joy we neglect to pay close attention to the cooking. Our cutlery (spork) becomes more of a "sp-wave", as it melts in our cooking pot.


Day 8 - Laguna Hediona to abandoned ruins near Salar de Chiguana (60km)
We order breakfast just as comfortably as if we are staying in the Ecolodge itself and are off. This laguna has hundreds of flamingoes. We see the young flamingoes starting to turn from grey to a startling pink. A beautiful colour.




I enjoy the sight for a few moments and turn my attention back to the road. It is especially horrible today and I fly from the bike quite a few times...

We continue to climb in the worst conditions, and my mood becomes blacker and blacker. Completely selfishly I am getting utterly fed up with this. But also how can the government let its people (and scores of tourists) continue on these roads? Probably a hundred jeeps are on this road every single day. Is it not worth a little investment to improve the road? It is so unsafe for everyone and also drivers keep seeking out new tracks to see if they are more drivable, ruining the environment.


Make it a toll road to keep an income for maintenance if needs be, but...just do it!! I couldnīt even enjoy the downhill because it was just too dangerous.

Eventually we reach the smooth International Road (going from Bolivia to Chile) where we breathe a sigh of relief.

The winds pick up again and we wobble pass three massive trucks on the wrong side (but at least rideable side) of the road. All three are kind enough to slow to an almost stop to prevent the dust cloud from completely engulfing us. We get to the Salar de Chiguana and a fantastic "road". I almost dribble in my ecstasy at the smooth, flat ride...


Day 9 - Salar de Chiguana to San Pedro de Quemes (64km)
We fly through the rest of the Salar de Chiguana...


and finally arrive at San Pedro de Quemes. Not where most other cyclists go through, but we had exclusive information from Explore Pangea (and their GPS tracks!). We arrive at a hotel that they stayed at ...


- not that we would have known itīs a hotel. Nothing in San Pedro de Quemes is marked. No signs for hotel, shops, bakery, museum, internet cafe. Nada. People are very friendly though, and will tell you, "yes, shop, turn right from here itīs the green door with the red car outside. Just knock."

We knock and nothing happens. Meandering through an open side door reveals the family having an afternoon siesta. The lady of the house gets up and opens the shop for us. There is little to buy, but we make a valiant effort. By the end of the afternoon this is what we have amassed...


Note the lack of fruit and veg. Apparently that is only available in the town of Uyuni. Another couple of days of riding away.

Day 10 - rest day in San Pedro de Quemes

We chat to some other guests - who are drivers for the tourists. Their charges are up on the hill in the posh hotel, staying at 100 US dollars a night. We figure it is the neat roundness of the number that makes it so attractive. Our room cost us five whole British pounds for the night. Like true bargain hunters, we love it. So we stay another day, resting and reading. We eat all our meals at the hotel. Silly cheap, and quite tasty. A lot of llama meat! Itīs obvious that the owners have just cooked a little extra and given us food from their own meals.


Everything takes its (Latin American) time. We find the museum. Itīs not open. "Mas tarde (much later)", we are told. A bakery for bread - none at the moment, but yes, "Mas tarde". For some reason the electricity is not quite working at the internet cafe, youīve guessed it, "Mas tarde". Most of these "Mas tarde" promises are kept, and we spend a pleasant day wandering from place to place inbetween snoozing and reading. We must somehow stand out amongst the tourists - we are tracked down back at the hotel by a shop owner who has suddenly been taken ill and cannot therefore cook for our dinner that night, and also the baker once the fresh bread is ready. Alex gets mega-excited as he realises that this town does not yet exist in OpenStreetMap, the free downloadable map system that we have been using on our journeys. Out comes the GPS as we start to note down the roads and shops. He is next to me now uploading all the information that we gathered for San Pedro de Quemes for the next lucky people to make use of.

We are still a little way away from our final destination of the Salar de Uyuni. We go to bed early so that we can have a full day of cycling tomorrow.
More in the next installment!

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Posted by Ping-Yi at 05:42 PM GMT
November 30, 2011 GMT
Episode IX: A brief sojourn in Bolivia, part II

Continuing with our quest to the Salar, we cycle on from San Pedro de Quemes (in Bolivia now, donīt forget!) towards Uyuni. Poor Alex is in pain from being saddle sore. His Brooksī saddle, the choice of all the cyclists we have met so far, it seems, has given him two very red, very painful looking areas on his derriere. Mine, the "gel saddle that will never last" (thank you Olivia and Robbert for getting this Dutch saddle with me) - is fan-dabby-tastic. I am not sore. I am not in pain. I have stood up though for a lot of the journey! But at least my bottom is still fairly cheerful! By the way, if you are a keen mountain biker, and you know who you are - this IS the journey for MUST try and do these two weeks. Believe it, itīs worth it...(if you are a keen mountain biker!!)

A quick list of the food supplies we took with us on our two-week journey...we WILL make it last the entire trip...and yes, it did!
4 onions
5 tomatoes
5 avocadoes
5 oranges
4 apples
11 small to medium sized carrots
3 peppers
LOADS of powdered milk (ridiculous amounts....probably a kilo?!)
1kg of porridge (!) we still have it now - four weeks later...
4 boxes of cereal
1.5kg rice (!)
800g pasta
3 tomato sauces
5 cans tuna
10 pieces bread (topped up by another 6 stale pieces...eeeek...)
6 eggs (topped up by another 8 en route...)
500g dried tofu (that was a real find in San Pedro!! Protein with practically no weight!)
Four packs of cookies
As much dried fruit as I could get my hands on....

Day 11 - San Pedro de Quemes to Salar de Uyuni (67km)
A brief stop at the "Galaxy caves" - some rock formations which look quite cool - unfortunately our poor command of Spanish means that we smile at the guide and ask to go through the caves alone. There is also human (Inca) remains around the site. I presume it was a burial site once upon a time.


We also see some "petrified cacti"...they have become solid rock over time. Strange...But you can see the landscape we are viewing behind Alex.


We finally arrive at the Salar de Uyuni! This is what we have spent the last 11 days slogging away for. Initially it is not impressive. Dirty roads make me question the sanity of doing the whole trip. We cycle on. And on, and on, and on. It is undeniably huge. 12,000 square kilometres, to be exact. Eventually it becomes white.

We see a it a tree? from a distance...we cycle up close and take a photo - later we find out that it is the inside of a cactus. It seems that these plants have a wooden core!


And at its foot there is a beautiful structure of....salt - no idea whatīs underneath though.


We are surrounded by a blinding whiteness - the sun shines on relentlessly. The ground is mostly hard. Every now and again it is a little wet. The wheels are picking up salt too.


I am utterly exhausted and we find a small "island" to camp on. The islands are outcrops of soil (how? Who knows?!) on an otherwise unblemished background of white salt. I find the whole experience a little odd.


Day 12-13 - Salar de Uyuni (23km, 26km)
We cycle on in the searing heat to try to find the Isla Pescado (Fish Island) where there are far fewer tourists. We finally see the typical image of the salar that we have seen in postcards. We eventually land somewhere that we think is likely and Alex collapses in a heap of ill health.


We start to put up the tent together and suddenly he disappears as I turn around to pick up some pegs. A moment later I find him lying on the ground under the tent, essentially unable to move for the next few hours as waves of nausea overcome him.


I sit and read. It is hot!



The next day we cycle on to the main tourist attraction - Isla Incahuasi.



Itīs impossible to figure out exactly how far it is by purely looking. The GPS helps a lot here. I still canīt believe we have finally made it to the Salar.

The ride on the Salar is quite bumpy. I feel a bit nauseous myself by the end of the ride. There are at least 10-15 jeeps parked at Incahuasi. We find a quiet place with a cave in which to camp,


have a vegetable soup for lunch (still counts, even with only 2 types of veg!),


a little snooze and then explore the island with its giant ancient cacti - apparently at least one is 900 years old.


We play with funny photos of perspective...
Noooo, Iīm going the wrong way and am about to hit the seat....

Surprise! I AM your lunch today!!!

Will she make it, wonīt she, the new ballerina for the infamous Royal Ballet of the Salar de Uyuni...

A bit of fun before retiring for the night...



Day 14 - Salar de Uyuni to Uyuni town (101km)
Knowing this will be a long day, we are up at 4am. Finally we are to leave this strange place and return to civilisation. We take the "highway" where scores of jeeps have previously passed and flattened the salar. It makes for an easy ride all the way to the edge - almost 80km away. We see deep "potholes" of clear, deep blue water where the underlying lake comes through. I am relieved to reach the edge, only to find that the real road to the town is horrendous. I fall into a bad mood again as I contemplate the next few hours of struggling. We reach a salt mine at the edge of the salar - we see that everything is done by hand.

People actually have to shovel the salt onto the trucks and pat it down. I feel like I have gone back in time to pre-Industrial age times...

At last, we can also get rid of the rock that I have been carrying to bang the tent pegs into place on the hard surface of the salar.


Finally we reach Uyuni and I breathe a sigh of relief. Itīs a new record, over 100km today.
I am surprised to see that Uyuni looks a desolate, dusty and unloved town. By now I am completely spent and am glad to follow Alex and his GPS to a lovely, expensive hotel (30 pounds, the most we have paid this trip so far!). We shower and wander out in search of sustenance.


I donīt like the town much, a bit touristy, but generally with a neglected feel. Funnily enough the detail that remains with me is that I spotted 5 dental practices in the time we had to walk around time. Five. Thatīs a lot! I have to say though that I didnīt notice a huge difference in the teeth of the Uyuni Townies...We end up having what appears to be standard fare - roast chicken, rice and chips and stumble back to the hotel for a well-earned rest.

Day 15 -18 - Uyuni town to Santiago (Uyuni - Calama 460km, Calama - Santiago 1566km)

Almost as soon as we have arrived in Uyuni, are we plotting our way out of here. We spy a sign for an airport and are super-excited....only to find that it is really an airport-in-progress as the tower is still being built, and the personnel only arrives when the plane arrives (i.e. at least another hour later). We wait and hear a rumble in the distance that we take to be the plane landing...full of excitement we look out and see...


We decide on getting the bus back to Chile, but the next bus to the border leaves at an ungodly 4am. We sigh and wander around the sights. This is seen from the back on market day...


Alex has a fight with a lady who owns the internet cafe when he tries to tell her that her computers need a bit more protection than...well, none really (i.e. antivirus etc). She takes immediate offence and charges us each for the hour, despite us having only been there for less than five minutes. We scarper out of there and find another place. All places have a rule of allowing no USB connections. It means that we have to wait for the photos to upload back in Chile.

We gladly escape the town at 4am, our bikes being stowed into the luggage compartment of the bus.

(this is Alex taking the bikes out at the end of the journey)

We were worried about the size of the bikes, but then as we queue up at 3am, we realise that most people have far more luggage. They appear to be taking things to sell at a market. This indeed is correct and at 8am we arrive at the borders, stamp our passports out of Bolivia, and are taken to I guess a no-manīs land area where everyone promptly starts to set up camp for a bustling market. This is before it became busy...


More buses arrive and people start to gather. We patiently wait for the next bus to take us into Chile only to be told that it will be a four-hour thumb-twiddle. Finally the bus is ready to leave as the driver hoists up our bikes onto its rickety roof-rack whilst we look anxiously on.


Another six hours and a bumpy (though again beautifully scenic) bus ride later, we finally arrive back in Calama, Chile. We celebrate by having an empanada (totally starving by then) and ride off to find a campsite for the night. Whilst setting up the tent we meet a couple from Germany who look to be in their sixties-seventies who tell us that they have been travelling around the world for the last twenty years or so in their Unimog. We are in awe and spend a happy couple of hours sharing wine and sharing adventures. So this is what we have to look forward to!

Leaving Calama the next day, we head west and are picked up by three mechanics out on a trip to fix a broken-down truck for about 80km. We are not complaining...that would have taken us a full day at least!

Next we are lucky enough to meet Carlos, a trucker with an 18m truck who throws our bikes into his empty truck and tells us that he is going to Santiago.


We hop on and quickly realise that it will be a noisy and bumpy ride. The truck is much older than the previous one we were in and Carlos is constantly adjusting the steering to make sure that the truck goes in a straight line. It looks exhausting. He also seems slightly superhuman, driving from 7pm to 3am with the minimum of breaks, whilst we are unable to control ourselves and one by one drops off to sleep.

We manage to get a proper few hours rest in the back of the truck when he finally stops for the night.


The rest of the way to Santiago is dealt with from 9am to 11.30pm in one fell swoop. Do we look tired?? We have just had four hours sleep and are having a cereal breakfast (powdered milk, hoorah!) in the back of the truck...


We have a little short stop to look at what looks like a little zoo...


And another to get some sweets for the family before he arrives home.


On learning that we are reluctant to cruise around this big city at night on our bikes, he offers the truck again, giving us the keys before disappearing off into his house (just round the corner) for a well-earned rest. I wonder what his neighbours think of a big truck appearing every now and again on their street...



So there it is. We have arrived in Santiago, having left Bolivia less than 48 hours ago. It is quite incredible. It took us three months to get there in the first place.We are really sorry that we have not been able to re-visit our friends along the way like we wanted to, but our time in Chile is getting shorter by the minute. Today we have booked our flight home in January. A sad moment indeed. In the meantime, our thoughts are turned towards the south. Everyone we speak to in Chile highly recommends it, beautiful scenery, wonderful people. We are really looking forward to it and will be carefully documenting our time there.

Until the next time, ciao!

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Posted by Alexandros Papadopoulos at 02:39 PM GMT

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

Story and photos copyright ©

Sorry, you need a Javascript enabled browser to get the email address and dates. You can contact Horizons Unlimited at the link below. Please be sure to tell us WHICH blog writer you wish to contact.

All Rights Reserved.

Contact the author:

Editors note: We accept no responsibility for any of the above information in any way whatsoever. You are reminded to do your own research. Any commentary is strictly a personal opinion of the person supplying the information and is not to be construed as an endorsement of any kind.

Hosted by: Horizons Unlimited, the motorcycle travellers' website!
You can have your story here too - click for details!