Border Crossings - Melaka, Malaysia to Dumai, Indonesia
Border Crossings - by Ken and Carol Duval
25 April 2001 Melaka
Accomodation - Robins Nest Guest House 16 to 23 Ringgit for a double room. Close to passenger and cargo terminals. Listed in Lonely Planet.
Passenger Ferry - Follow Me Express Ferry Service on the 'Indomal Express'. Morning and afternoon ferries. 59 RM per person (special price).
Cargo - Jalinan Muara Enterprise. Ph 012-6231867 Small office near
Customs - Between passenger and cargo dock/terminals.
- 8.00am Arrive at cargo terminal.
- 10.30am Carnet and invoice processed. 400 RM (negotiable).
- 11.00am Bike loaded onto 'Kurnia Jaya' S27-41 and lashed to wheel house. Bags of onions packed around bike.
- 12.00 Bike leaves. Journey 8 hrs.
- 3.45pm Low tide. Old ferry shuttles us to new ferry and we transfer 2-3 kms out to sea. Keep luggage to a minimum. Journey 2 hours.
- 6.00pm Dumai - Immigration - 60 day tourist visa. Return ticket or show of funds not requested. Customs - no searches. Both very easy.
The following is what we recommend you do to avoid 'rip offs'.
1. Leave ferry terminal - Walk or catch a rickshaw to the main customs office/bldg (approx 4-500 mtrs). Through archways to main road, turn left and it's on the right hand side.
2. Advise customs officals what is happening. E.T.A. of bike, company name and contact number and accomodation requirements. We stayed at the Hotel Srikandi for 70,000 Rs. There are cheaper but they were full. Don't stay at the Royal Hotel unless you have lots of money. Customs have a driver and a 4 x 4 and will probably drive you everywhere for no charge. They are extremely helpful. Be prepared to pay if this is not possible. There are touts everywhere trying to rip you off including the shipping agent.
3. Hopefully!! customs will drive you to cargo dock to collect the bike. 8 pm for us.
4. Collect bike after ten lads lift bike off boat and demand 100,000 Rs (approx US$10) You can negotiate.
5. Ride back to customs and process carnet. We could not as too late. Left bike at customs and driver took us back to hotel.
26 April 2001
6. 8.am to 11.30 am Customs picked us up, carnet was processed. They drive us to the police station to arrange permit for the bike. All done, no charges, very helpful. You need a rough itinerary for police permit.
7. Police permit requires you to check into police stations each overnight stay. We are doing this but most police do not understand proceedures. All are very friendly and helpful.
Good luck and enjoy.
Next HU Events
- Montenegro: June 27-30
- Ireland: July 12-14
- Colorado: July 12-14
- North Carolina, Aug 8-11
- Canada West: Aug 22-25
- Kyrgyzstan Mini-Meet: Aug 31
- NEW France Mini-Meet: Sept 6-8
- Ontario: Sep 12-15
- Australia QLD: Sep 26-29
- Australia VIC: Oct 11-13
- NEW Perth WA: Oct 19-20
- California: Oct 24-27
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
9th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is now open! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Books & DVDs
All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Services and get your HU $15 discount!